IGNORED

Atari game: setting building on fire

high voltage

• 5 years later...
On 8/8/2014 at 3:19 PM, ventrra said:

Would that have been the unreleased Fire! by Palmex?

On 8/9/2014 at 6:58 AM, high voltage said:

Actually yes that's the one I was thinking of.

An game called Fire! that supposedly involved setting fire to things first appeared on some of the original collectors lists of unreleased Atari games that began circulating on the net in the late 1990s and early 2000s including this one.  I often wondered about this game myself, as it also appeared in the Rumor Mill section of the Digital Press guide...

https://www.digitpress.com/video-game-guide/?mode=GameInfo&gameid=24691

I dug into this a bit recently and I found that the likely original source for the rumored existence of such a game is a snippet from a January 1984 article about collectible and controversial video games that appeared in the St. Petersburg Times (and likely other newspapers as well)...

"Fire! likewise generated protests because the "hero" here had to enter a building, set it afire with kerosene, and then escape before the blazing building collapsed.  The game from Palmtex was short-lived."

https://www.newspapers.com/image/320819914/

However, I believe no such game ever existed and the writer of that article was either confused or simply misinformed.

Palmtex was a manufacturer of electronic games that was the original distributor of the Nintendo Game & Watch series of handhelds (including Fire) in North America.  The writer of that 1984 article was probably thinking of the game Firebug by Muse that was mentioned above but mistakenly identified it as Fire by Palmtex.  The rumored Atari game is thus the result of a case of mistaken identity involving memories from two unrelated games being combined into one.