IGNORED

AtariVox+ (AtariAge Edition)

mos6507

I think it's time to start a fresh thread considering the original AtariVox+ thread is several years old.

I assumed that the amount that I built and (eventually) distributed through GoldenAx would fully satisfy demand, but a few people have piped up to say they missed out. I do not know the total number of classic gaming fans and how many of them don't already have one of the prior runs of AtariVox+ or prior single-platform units. But the decision's been made to stock up in a big way.

As of the date of this post, we have over 60 AtariVox+ boards fully assembled and ready for final testing and packaging. In total we have over 300 SpeakJet chips that can be used for future boards, by virtue of another generous bulk-discount from Magnevation. Assuming the chips remain available, that same price-break will stay open for us going forward. Since we have many more than 300 PCBs left, I can't imagine there will ever come a time when demand will exceed supply--just as long as there's someone willing to keep investing the time to assemble them.

I've sacrificed a lot of time and money building these with the sole purpose being to popularize speech synth in homebrews. I'd like to keep the final retail cost of the AA-edition of the AV+ as low as possible while still allowing myself to break-even on my recent overhead and to satisfy AA's own financial expectations. Since I doubt I'll have much free time to put labor into these beyond the summer, I want to transition myself off the responsibility of assembly and let AA assume full control of it going forward. The only real point of concern is the soldering of the PIC chip. At over $2 a pop, if it doesn't go on well, it wastes a lot of time and money. So I'm still somewhat protective of the assembly process. So we'll see how that hand-off process goes. But I had this first batch already partially assembled (including the PIC) going into this revival, and so it was fairly easy for me to finish adding the missing components myself, making it so that AA needs to only package it up and sell. I'll leave it to Albert to post updates related to that final phase of production here.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More will be available soon!

..Al

FANTASTIC! Just looked at all the AtariVox supported games and one of the games' music track is burrowing into my brain (and has been on loop for the last hour)! MUST HAVE! Will have to wait to order the game along with the AtariVox+ the moment i get notification of a new batch in store! The enhanced music and High Score ability will go down a treat at events and expos to boot! :D

• 2 months later...

I watched the YT demo 'Atari 2600 Harmony Encore and AtariVOX+ game play video and review.' and I am looking forward to getting one. Will the store get it by the end of the year?

It has been in the AtariAge Store twice recently, but sells relatively quickly. I am working on making a larger batch that should satiate demand for a while. In the meantime, I have one remaining AtariVox+ from existing inventory. If you'd like it, send me a PM and it's yours ($40 plus shipping, depending on where you are).

..Al

• 3 weeks later...

AAMOI I lost my Sega extension cord (needed for Vectrex and 7800), so I hacked this together.

It's the insides of a DB9 socket and plug.

Drill out the mounting lugs and the 2 halves of the shielding come apart. Run a small amount of glue around the inserts and solder them together (see pics).

post-2630-0-73309200-1430845626_thumb.jpg

post-2630-0-26505900-1430845640_thumb.jpg

post-2630-0-71809200-1430845652_thumb.jpg

post-2630-0-28537200-1430845664_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...