IGNORED

Jaguar Multicart Kit on eBay?

SabertoothRetro

Does anyone here know anything about this Jag "multicart kit"? "Retro-kidz" is printed on the label. I couldn't find anything about it online.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1714156545451?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=171415654545&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

The same seller also has a multi I/O board listed as BIN.

I noticed this also, am curious myself.

Also curious who is bidding over 150$ for a pro controller lol

it's already higher than I thought it'd go for something that a new batch of can be thrown together for rather readily. maybe the seller is trying to gauge the value with that auction.

anyway someone must have plans to purpose this cart for something that'll net them a substantial markup :P

I asked the seller for a BIN price and got my answer (I will not publish it here as you can do the same if interested)

But ... there's always a but .... I do not have a programmer for the M27C800 (they are 42pins).

It's a neat solution with 8 separated serial EPROMs for 8 indipendent saves (for the 8 max images you can put) and the rotary switch to select what game to play .... inventive and simple.

I did the math and the offical Jag library has 15 4MB titles and 40 2MB titles (a couple are actually 1MB).

That would require quite a few of those, but if I could snug in one just Karts + Tower 2 + Rayman + Zero 5 I believe that would be worthy given the prices those go for. [Not sure Battlespehere Gold would work]

I really don't care abut collecting per se, I leave that to people with money, but I'd like to play those on real HW to see how they fare without paying an arm and a leg for the very high chance to NOT like any of them.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

I don't have an EPROM programmer either. Otherwise I'd buy it to finally try BSG - which is the Bounty Bob Strikes Back of the Jaguar.

It would be great to have an SD cart for Jaguar. I love the Harmony and (now) AtariMax.

Yep, damn good idea. Whatever this sells for, will be less than Battlesphere, and thus the cheapest way to play it on hardware. I'm thinking most of us will know someone (or know someone who knows someone) who can put a ROM on the EPROM. *strokes chin*

Hello!

But ... there's always a but .... I do not have a programmer for the M27C800 (they are 42pins).

It's a neat solution with 8 separated serial EPROMs for 8 indipendent saves (for the 8 max images you can put) and the rotary switch to select what game to play .... inventive and simple.

I did the math and the offical Jag library has 15 4MB titles and 40 2MB titles (a couple are actually 1MB).

Agreed, the cartridge design is neat, but i still see two problems:

1) Standard Jaguar titles use the 93c46 serial Eeprom with 128 bytes for saving data, the 93c56 are 256 bytes and as far as i know the serial commands for accessing the chips are different in length.

2) All those "Meg"s used in the auction description are Megabits, the 27c800 stores just 1 Megabyte, with 2 of these you can just store 2 Megabyte on this cartridge, and it's not made clear if you can use the 27c160 Eprom on this PCB (to gain 4MegaByte).

Kind regards

Matthias

• Like 3

I think I missed the megabit <-> megabyte "trick" in there.

Once I read "8 1 or 2 meg binaries" I literally assumed megabytes, instead as you said it's megabit, that makes the board less interesting.

So the 8 position switch and all those separated save slot are a tad less useful, unless you're into developing homebrew games (between 128KBytes [1Mbits] and 2MBytes [16Mbits]).

For example the 1 16meg configuration = 16Mbits and it is due to have 2 8Mbits EPROMs (the 27C800), so it is 2MBytes as you reported.
As you mentioned also it doesn't not say if 27C160 would fit, I presume not, 27C322 support would be even better (to gain 8 MBytes)

I really thought I could buy 1 and put 4 4MBytes rare binaries for my enjoyment without paying the full price but that does not appear to be the case.

Oh well, next time.

I was about to order a Willem GQ-4X with ADP-054 (for the 42pins EPROMS) .... now not so much.

Edited by phoenixdownita

Here is the link to the 93lc46/56/66

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/devicedoc/21712B.pdf

And Mathias is right wrt to the length of the command, in specific in the address portion over the serial DataIn pin.

But ... as always there's a but ... the Jag fw/library may abstact that little detail out and it may just work.

For example the NeoGeo memcard is supposedly 8bits only, alas I bought a 16bits and it works, the NeoGeo BIOS knew how to abstract it out ... I tested the fix on UniBIOS for this ... I should know.

So it is possible that Atari allowed either chip on the cart and gave the devs routines to handle it transparently ... it is speculative but you never know.

the Jag fw/library may abstact that little detail out and it may just work.

No it doesn't. The code supplied by Atari doesn't support anything except 93C46 EEPROMs; I had to write a patch to make saves work on the Jagtopus boards that use 93C86 EEPROMs. I don't believe it's possible to write code that supports several EEPROMs size transparently anyways; the 93Cxx chips don't support any command that would allow size identification.
  • Like 3

You can detect it with software just copy data to ram the block you use is the biggest eeprom you can get then write a data patron to the eeprom snd check the size then erase and copy data from ram back ...

I thought of that too, but each write to the EEPROM wears it down until it can't be written any more. Wasting a write cycle each time you boot the game isn't a good idea.

• 1 month later...

How about now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-Jaguar-Multi-Cart-Kit-16-Megabyte-/171465392450?pt=US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item27ec224142

That's got 16MByte (so 4 4Mbyte should fit) and 8 83c46 so no issues there either.

At 100US$ surely beats having to buy separate Atari Karts + Tower 2 + Rayman + Zero5 as those combined are more than that for sure.

Anyone tried to see if it works as expected (I wonder if you could just burn 1 game per 27C322 or if you have to stripe across the 4 with Hi/Lo blocks)?

Edited by phoenixdownita