IGNORED

Possible project: Apple ][ Galaga

The Usotsuki

I stuck out a couple tentacles elsewhere to try to get a bit of a hand because I'm not good at getting projects off the ground (though, once they get airborne, they usually stay there). I was asked to try sticking out a tentacle here too, though I felt it was a bit premature.

I got to thinking, of all the games I'd like to see on the Apple and haven't seen yet, what is the one that would be easiest to port?, and decided it would be Galaga.

I might need a hand getting started, though if it gets to a certain point, the work to that point, plus the sources for the arcade or 7800 version, may be enough to get it the rest of the way.

I'm not aware of any Galaga clones for the Apple II. Tons of Galaxian clones but not Galaga

It's odd, but when you think about it there were very few Galaga clones for any system back in the day even though it was more popular than Galaxian. Perhaps it was the technical aspects that made it too difficult to port (all those looping enemies)?

I also agree that the Apple II has a generous selection of Space Invaders/Galaxian-type shooters. There's probably a few Galaga-type games in there too that I'm sure we're forgetting. It's always good to get new games, but I do hope that if all that effort is put into creating yet another version of this game that the "real" end result after that game is an engine that could be leveraged for further use.

It would absolutely be wise to save functions from one project to use in another :P

Some functions I pulled from PDOS RDOS in order to support EHBASIC can be found in most of my hacks, in various forms, ranging from complete versions with proper error handling, to small versions made to use the smallest memory footprint possible (believe me, a sub-256-byte file loader is incredibly useful sometimes). A stars routine for Galaga would probably be useful in a port of another space shooter, like Gaplus or Bosconian. A sprite engine would be extremely useful in just about anything.

A stars routine for Galaga would probably be useful in a port of another space shooter, like Gaplus or Bosconian.

Gaplus or Bosconian would be awesome to see on the A2. I don't think either of those got a home port.

So what kind of A2 are you targeting? 64K Apple II+ or 128K IIe/IIc? I don't think it makes sense to go down to the 48K level as most Apple II users have at least 64K but you might have to if you want maximum compatibility. A IIgs version would be neat to see as well.

Nice! Love me some Galaga. It's the only standup arcade I own. I can't recall any "Galaga clones" per se, but there's plenty of games out there with similarities like Alien Rain, AE, Space Quarks, Sputnik Attack, Bandits, and dozens more. On the IIGS there's a wonderful little gem called Space Cluster. Of course there's also Galaxian itself, which is essentially Galaga minus the bonus stages and dual ships.

Gaplus or Bosconian would be awesome to see on the A2. I don't think either of those got a home port.

So what kind of A2 are you targeting? 64K Apple II+ or 128K IIe/IIc? I don't think it makes sense to go down to the 48K level as most Apple II users have at least 64K but you might have to if you want maximum compatibility. A IIgs version would be neat to see as well.

I consider the 64K ][+ the true lowest common denominator practically.

128K //e would be an option if the game could benefit from it; Galaga wouldn't, IMO.

A GS port would be awesome; prolly look like the NES port, which was excellent.

Nice! Love me some Galaga. It's the only standup arcade I own. I can't recall any "Galaga clones" per se, but there's plenty of games out there with similarities like Alien Rain, AE, Space Quarks, Sputnik Attack, Bandits, and dozens more. On the IIGS there's a wonderful little gem called Space Cluster. Of course there's also Galaxian itself, which is essentially Galaga minus the bonus stages and dual ships.

Most of those are Galaxian clones, like Alien Rain. Space Quarks has more in common with Galaxian than Galaga.

Galaxian also got an official port - it was one of the first filecracks I did.

If you mean "Bosconian 87", that wasn't remotely an accurate port or clone.

They're officially licensed conversions, that doesn't necessarily make them accurate conversions of course but they exist.

On the C64 version the speed is completely wrong, the ship doesn't fire correctly (it's Bosconian, the ship's supposed to have front AND rear cannons), etc. (looks like the Spectrum version is a bit closer to the real thing, but still a bit off).

At least their port of Gaplus, which actually mentions Namco, appears to be decent.

10 HGR : FOR L = 0 TO 14

20 Y = 64 + L * 2:V = Y + 1

30 READ A$: FOR P = 1 TO 16

40 C = VAL ( MID$ (A$,P,1))

50 X = 122 + P * 2:U = X + 1

60 ON C > 0 GOSUB 80: NEXT P,L

70 END : DATA........55777777

80 HCOLOR= C: HPLOT X,Y TO U,Y

90 HPLOT X,V TO U,V: RETURN

100 DATA............777.

110 DATA...........777..

120 DATA.....55776777...

130 DATA........6777755.

140 DATA.......77777555.

150 DATA...77777755777..

160 DATA7777777755777777

170 DATA...77777755777..

180 DATA.......77777555.

190 DATA........6777755.

200 DATA.....55776777...

210 DATA...........777..

220 DATA............777.

230 DATA........55777777

LIST:VTAB23

10 HGR : FOR L = 0 TO 14
20 Y = 64 + L * 2:V = Y + 1
30 READ A$: FOR P = 1 TO 16
40 C = VAL ( MID$ (A$,P,1))
50 X = 122 + P * 2:U = X + 1
60 ON C > 0 GOSUB 80: NEXT P,L
70 END : DATA........55777777
80 HCOLOR= C: HPLOT X,Y TO U,Y
90 HPLOT X,V TO U,V: RETURN
100 DATA............777.
110 DATA...........777..
120 DATA.....55776777...
130 DATA........6777755.
140 DATA.......77777555.
150 DATA...77777755777..
160 DATA7777777755777777
170 DATA...77777755777..
180 DATA.......77777555.
190 DATA........6777755.
200 DATA.....55776777...
210 DATA...........777..
220 DATA............777.
230 DATA........55777777
LIST:VTAB23

heh nice

Speed's prolly wrong, but MESS runs the Tandy 1000HX too fast or something. But if you have PCjr or Tandy 1000 BASIC,

10 A$="t120o3e8c16d8f16e8c16d8a16g8c16d8f16e8c16g8b16>e-8d16c8<b-16a-8g16f8<b-16>b-8>c16<b-8e-16a16f16d16g16e16d16"
20 B$="t120o3<g8p16a8.b8.a8.>c8.<a8.>c8.<b8>d16>c8<b-16a8g16f8.d8<b-16>g8a-16g8.f16d16<a16>d16<b16a16"
30 SOUND ON:PLAY A$,B$

I tried punching a score into MCS and my head exploded, but I punched it into GW-BASIC and worked fine with some tweaks, to make this.

Edited by The Usotsuki

Practically every Galaga/clone on home systems is a dud - the exception being the NES version which is easily closest to the arcade.

The 7800 version IMO misses the boat because the aspect ratio is all wrong - it's in 160h mode but the movements aren't suitably adjusted.

Doing Galaga properly/accurately on any 8-bit machine would be a chore - just the swelling of the alien formation in itself is a lot of CPU time (my idea there would be to only move 2 or 3 per frame).

My suggestion would be look at the NES code since it's 6502. The (6502) BBC Micro also had a clone (Zalaga) but it suffers from some of the issues I already mentioned.

Note of course the arcade machine uses a Z80 CPU so using it as a basis would be more of a challenge, plus the fact it uses portrait monitor orientation.

Edited by Rybags

Practically every Galaga/clone on home systems is a dud - the exception being the NES version which is easily closest to the arcade.

The 7800 version IMO misses the boat because the aspect ratio is all wrong - it's in 160h mode but the movements aren't suitably adjusted.

Doing Galaga properly/accurately on any 8-bit machine would be a chore - just the swelling of the alien formation in itself is a lot of CPU time (my idea there would be to only move 2 or 3 per frame).

My suggestion would be look at the NES code since it's 6502. The (6502) BBC Micro also had a clone (Zalaga) but it suffers from some of the issues I already mentioned.

Note of course the arcade machine uses a Z80 CPU so using it as a basis would be more of a challenge, plus the fact it uses portrait monitor orientation.

MSX version's good too. But that's probably because of what it has in common with the NES version: the same screen layout, and both being done in-house by Namco. (And the 256x192 resolution is closer to the Apple's 280x192.) For us, though, its only real utility is the AY8910 sound code, which could be used to provide Mockingboard support.

Doesn't A.E. have some smooth swooping motions for the enemies? Same deal with Bandits and maybe Threshold..

It's been 30 years since I played Apple Bandits. I gotta revisit that one.

ADDED: I just checked out A.E. in context of comparison to galaga. A.E. certainly moves stuff around with galaga speed and the patterns are more than complex enough.

I think if you study Bandits, Threshold, and A.E. you'll come to conclusion that Galaga is possible. Of course the color fidelity won't be anywhere like the arcade, many liberties will need to be taken here.

Edited by Keatah