IGNORED

Child World Childrens Palace price tags on vintage game hardware

I don't recall a Children's Palace , but I do remember a Child's World by a mall my parents used to frequent.

Definitely recall going there around the late '80s cause of the fact of I purchased some of my NES and SMS games at that particular store. I also to seem to recall they were slightly more expensive as compared to

Toys 'r us. Maybe that's why they folded?

That timeline seems about right to on when they cease to exist. The one I mentioned I don't think made it past 1990...

I always keep the price stickers on all my games... kinda of a blast from the past thing.

Some notables:

Zayres

Service Merchandise

Woolco

Montgomery Ward

Camelot Music

Toys By Rizzi

Venture

McDades catalog house (Chicago area)

to name a few....

I got my C64 and 1541 at Children's Palace. The boxes may have tags on them still, I haven't seen them lately.

I remember going to buy my 1541. I had scraped up a bunch of money, probably all small bills. The old woman running the register handed me my change and made a joke about being careful with all that money in my pocket.

Anyone else have these on any of their boxes? I have two of them so far. One on my Intellivoice module and one on my Atari 5200. After some reading, i see where they failed around 92. Its cool finding stickers that show where something was originally bought.

We had Children's Palace by us as well growing up. I believe the Children's Palace/Childs World was somewhat regional. I know all of Ohio it was call Children's Palace. At the time it was much larger than Toys R Us. Oddly enough when the Children's Palace by me went out of business, a Toys R Us opened across the street. I still think Children's Palace was a better toy store. Heck, that's where most of my video game stuff (until about 1991) came from.

Here's a video with the Children's Palace jingle that I remember the most (it starts at 1:05):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ojV6ddsAc

"Children's Palace, A super toy store and a whole lot more"!

I don't recall a Children's Palace , but I do remember a Child's World by a mall my parents used to frequent. Definitely recall going there around the late '80s cause of the fact of I purchased some of my NES and SMS games at that particular store. I also to seem to recall they were slightly more expensive as compared toToys 'r us. Maybe that's why they folded? That timeline seems about right to on when they cease to exist. The one I mentioned I don't think made it past 1990... I always keep the price stickers on all my games... kinda of a blast from the past thing. Some notables:ZayresService MerchandiseWoolcoMontgomery WardCamelot MusicToys By RizziVentureMcDades catalog house (Chicago area) to name a few....

I remember Camelot Music. We had one here in the mall till it became fye. Used to have a Kay-Bee toys store. Whatever happened to them? Are they still around? I pre-ordered my Dreamcast there in 99. I remember several years ago when they still had a few sealed 7800/2600 games leftover that they were trying to clear out.

I remember Camelot Music. We had one here in the mall till it became fye. Used to have a Kay-Bee toys store. Whatever happened to them? Are they still around? I pre-ordered my Dreamcast there in 99. I remember several years ago when they still had a few sealed 7800/2600 games leftover that they were trying to clear out.

I frequented Camelot Music BITD. I don't recall them ever selling video games. But then again, I was there to purchase 8-tracks and vinyl.

I remember Kay-Bee selling games. And I clearly remember the bargain bins when the video game crash happened.

I don't recall a Children's Palace , but I do remember a Child's World by a mall my parents used to frequent.

Definitely recall going there around the late '80s cause of the fact of I purchased some of my NES and SMS games at that particular store. I also to seem to recall they were slightly more expensive as compared to

Toys 'r us. Maybe that's why they folded?

That timeline seems about right to on when they cease to exist. The one I mentioned I don't think made it past 1990...

I always keep the price stickers on all my games... kinda of a blast from the past thing.

Some notables:

Zayres

Service Merchandise

Woolco

Montgomery Ward

Camelot Music

Toys By Rizzi

Venture

McDades catalog house (Chicago area)

to name a few....

Yup, I've got some Service Merchandise, Montgomery Ward, and some from Best

I had to look it up. Looks like there were bought out by the parent company of the FYE stores in the late '90s. Kinda weird, since the Camelot we had went bellyup, it became a bookstore instead of another music store. Hmmmmm....

Edited by schuwalker

I frequented Camelot Music BITD. I don't recall them ever selling video games. But then again, I was there to purchase 8-tracks and vinyl.

I remember Kay-Bee selling games. And I clearly remember the bargain bins when the video game crash happened.

Ours had games up till the crash. I remember they had these bins setup outside their store entrance w/ tons of games for sale. I distinctly recall picking up Frontline, Frankensteins Monster and Hero for $3.99 pop! *sigh* After that firesale they did away w/ the games.

Rip St. Charles Mall Camelot store

Back to Child's World, I had this flashback of picking one of these up probably one of the last time(s) I went there before their disappearance...

Edited by schuwalker

I don't know about your local KB's, but ours was too small and always a mess. Not much of a loss when they closed up.

Ours was on the small side and i do remember seeing items on the floor that were knocked off shelves. I always wondered about that. As for Childs World, i kinda wish they were still around. Just as well though. If they were, They would be selling ps4 instead of Atari.

$.50 for Berzerk?! Don't remember seeing it that heavily discounted at the usual outlets.

I'd say that's less of an indication of the "crash" and more telling of a retailer that simply couldn't unload the game. One aspect that isn't as talked about, is the fact there were a ton of non-traditional (gaming wise) retailers selling Atari games in the 80's. Grocery stores, drug stores, five and dime, small ma and pa hardware stores, Ace Hardware, etc. Target audience obviously wasn't gamers, so it was at these types of places where you could find great deals sometimes.

Yeah i never came across anything that cheap back then. There was a store called Altmans Discount many years ago that sold quite a few Atari Xl/XE 2600 and 7800 games. I bought several of them myself. Store closed sometime in the 90's but i cant remember what year. They were similar to todays Big Lots. Carrying closeout and dis-continued items. Then there was Bud's Discount Warehouse. Bud Walton. Brother of Sam Walton (Wal-Mart). I remember buying a dented brand new vcr for $10 when they were normally over $100. They had some SNES and 3DO games at the time. That store closed in the 90's too.

Without those KayBee bargain bins I never would have had funky titles like Planet Patrol and Chuck Norris Superkicks. ;D I think they were about $2-3.

Edited by bkrownd