IGNORED

Anyone that can provide the Intellivision AV/Composite video mod service?

Rev

I would also like this information, as I'd like to have at least one Intellivision with composite and/or s-video outputs.

..Al

Yeah, I would like to have multiple systems done. A Sears, Tandyvision, Original 2609, and an Intv2.

Pimpmaul69 used to provide the service, but I never had him do it! argh!

Edited by revolutionika

I am going to make a single jack DIY mod board similar to the one I made for the Colecovision. I will also offer installation of the board. AV cord will be included. I am thinking $29 + shipping and $15 for installation. Let me know what you think.

I am in the early development stage, I want to experiment alittle before I start selling this.

• Like 2

Would this board have S-Video output? I have a ton of Commodore 1702 monitors, so nearly all of my systems (2600, 5200, 7800) have composite and s-video output, as well as jacks for separate chroma and luminance signals, which is required for the inputs on the back of the 1702. I have one ColecoVision modified this way as well.

Thanks,

..Al

I am going to make a single jack DIY mod board similar to the one I made for the Colecovision. I will also offer installation of the board. AV cord will be included. I am thinking $29 + shipping and $15 for installation. Let me know what you think.

I am in the early development stage, I want to experiment alittle before I start selling this.

Ill pm you this week.

Hm, am I understanding it correctly that the Intellivision already has composite and audio signals ready to be tapped before the RF modulator, so the hack is similar to what is done to ZX Spectrums and several similar systems? Is the signal quality in the 0.7 Vpp range or would it need to be amplified to get a good picture? Unless I'm missing something, the lion part of this mod is the disassembly, to break all the soldering points to get the shielding off and putting it back on afterwards.

I saw a previous thread here on AA (there probably are several) mentioning a lot of ghosting issues with the composite mods, and also mentioning of the possibility to get some sort of digital signal, but I suppose if someone builds a kit with some circuitry that eliminates ghosting while maintaining a stable picture, composite video would be enough.

Well, this entry says the composite signal has a much higher impedance than your typical TV would expect, so I suppose it is more to it than just tapping the signal as in the first link posted by Revolutionika.

http://wiki.intellivision.us/index.php?title=Intellivision_Composite_Video_Modification

post-35160-0-44118200-1407910792_thumb.jpg

Here is a schematic of the AV mod I've done on a couple Intellivisions. This was created by fellow AA member Jmetal88. You need to remove the RF box and provide a clean +5V signal by using a 7805 regulator for the video signal and transistor.

It worked very well and cut out alot of interference and ghosting. I tried the mod on the Intellivision wiki and picture was really washed out and had alot of ghosting

Tapping +5V off the INTV motherboard effected the picture quite noticeable but with the clean voltage from the 7805 regulator it looked SO much better

Hope this might help, especially Yurkie, for putting together a DIY board :-)

• Like 1

This is basically the Solarfox mod, with the addition of the 5V regulator tapped from 12V rail.

http://solarfox.triluminary.net/hwh_intvav_p4.php

Is this currently understood as the best AV mod for Intellivision?

- J

Yes it is the Solarfox mod with the addition of the 7805 regulator. Currently, this is probably the best AV mod available for the Intellivision.

Hopefully someone can eventually figure out an RGB mod. I thought there was talk someone was working on one, just can't remember who

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Here is a schematic of the AV mod I've done on a couple Intellivisions. This was created by fellow AA member Jmetal88. You need to remove the RF box and provide a clean +5V signal by using a 7805 regulator for the video signal and transistor.

It worked very well and cut out alot of interference and ghosting. I tried the mod on the Intellivision wiki and picture was really washed out and had alot of ghosting

Tapping +5V off the INTV motherboard effected the picture quite noticeable but with the clean voltage from the 7805 regulator it looked SO much better

Hope this might help, especially Yurkie, for putting together a DIY board :-)

I think the voltage regulator is a good idea. Have you ever played around with the lower micro farad caps?

I think the voltage regulator is a good idea. Have you ever played around with the lower micro farad caps?

I haven't played with any capacitor values. I used a 1k pot instead of the 450 ohm resistor between the video and 5 volt rail. Ended up being around 620 ohm. This may depend on your tv as well.

I recently did the Solorfox mod in combination with the removal of the RF modulator, and yes the video quality is awesome compared to the original RF.

I also tried both the zener diode shunt method and a 7805 method for removal of the RF modulator and I didn't notice any discernible difference in video quality between the two. So I just went with the shunt method and used a 1N4733 5.1v zener. On the TV's I use I didn't see the need for the 1K pot that the shunt mod called for the video looked fine with it all the way open so I just used a 1k resistor in it's place.

So basically what I ended up with is this

post-37192-0-17499700-1407967324_thumb.pngpost-37192-0-96606400-1407967192_thumb.jpg

Edited by thecrypticodor
  • Like 1

I tried the method posted by JMetal - with two different buillds - and ended up with an unacceptably dark image. I had to convert back to RF and in the process did some damage to my console. So beware - this mod does not always work.

Perhaps replacing the 470 ohm resistor with a 1k trimmer will allow you to adjust brightness to where you'd like it.

I used this ----> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intellivision-A-V-Composite-Video-Mod-Kit-NTSC-PAL-DIY-/181043125890?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2702de82 in my SVA

It was pretty easy to install, slight.. I mean very slight shadowing... not bad enough to use the RF

Yeah that's the Intellivsion wiki mod. I tried that mod a while ago without removing the modulator and got this horrible interference pattern across the screen as well as severe ghosting shadowing that others have also mentioned. Removal of the RF modulator is absolutely mandatory for any Composite mod concerning the Intellivision especially if your intention is using the console on a modern TV.

Here's some pictures of the solarfox mod with the RF shunt. Note I took these with one of those crappy $10 easy caps so the quality is actually better on my actual TV. It should however give you guys a better ideal of the quality then just pointing a camera at a LCD screen.

post-37192-0-58181500-1408336285_thumb.pngpost-37192-0-46828400-1408336303_thumb.pngpost-37192-0-10434000-1408336310_thumb.pngpost-37192-0-54573300-1408336323_thumb.pngpost-37192-0-53486100-1408336316_thumb.pngpost-37192-0-71115300-1408336296_thumb.png

Edited by thecrypticodor
  • Like 1