IGNORED

Anyone that can provide the Intellivision AV/Composite video mod service?

Rev

Getting rid of the coupler and using the better quality coax will make the picture even better

I just picked them up at RS ($7 for pair), and you're correct drastically better! On the CV as well. My other old systems no longer even have RF capabilities due to mods! Unfortunately still looks so dark and crappy on the Sony HDTV. This TV has such a bad upscaler I had to buy a professional one. So to play on there, I think I need the AV mod, although on the CRT the RF is fine now.

There is a mod on ebay from turkey. Ships really fast.

I've installed the one from Turkey too. Good results and far better sound than RF. It's still important to use a high quality video cable, even with this mod.

Correct, RF sound stinks. I was going to get the one from Turkey, but was like, hey shouldn't I support an AA member first?

• Like 1

Just wanted to chime in. I sell modded Intellivision, Atari 5200, and Atari 7800 consoles on ebay (userid: glennfre). I make my own boards for the Intellivision's consoles and can provide composite A/V mod service, consoles or boards to anyone in need.

I have attached 2 photos, a modded Intellivision board, and the homemade boards I make. I have not found a need to use printed boards for this simple setup (2 transistor,3 capacitor and 8 resistor circuit).

I use quality parts from digikey so just message me if you want your system modded, want to purchase a already modded console, or just want the mod board.

I have sold consoles to atariage forum members in the past so maybe they and vouch for me or you can check my ebay feedback.

Thanks,

Glenn

post-37570-0-05597800-1424332767_thumb.jpg

post-37570-0-04502000-1424332786_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

If anyone is interested, I have a spare AV-modded Intellivision II complete with power supply and two working controllers that I can sell with or without an Intellivoice. It does have slight ghosting like all of the mods that I've personally ever seen. Offers via PM.

• 1 month later...

I've noticed that the solarfox + shunt mod was a little dark on my CRT's, so I changed a couple of resistor values to mirror that of the easy 2600/7800 composite amp. The 1.6k to a 3.3k and the 2k to a 2.2k. This gave me a much brighter and sharper picture and reduced a lot of that smearing iesposta pointed out.

Also if you use this on a HDTV that doesn't have a good noise reduction filter you'll need to wrap the video output a number of turns around a Ferrite Ring/Toroid.

Here's a few LCD pics. Pretty damn good in my opinion.

post-37192-0-96532900-1428765077_thumb.jpg post-37192-0-90056600-1428765083_thumb.jpg

This is the last time I'm messing with this mod since I'm now satisfied with it. So here's my version of the schematic.

post-37192-0-91337000-1428765097_thumb.png

Edited by thecrypticodor
  • Like 2

Thanks for revisiting this.

I will definitely try the new values! (I still have it breadborded and not soldered together)

I had stressed that a mylar capacitor to ground added to video out shifted the blue Shark Shark backgrnd to the correct blue, but your screen shot looks right on.

Thanks for revisiting this.

I will definitely try the new values! (I still have it breadborded and not soldered together)

I had stressed that a mylar capacitor to ground added to video out shifted the blue Shark Shark backgrnd to the correct blue, but your screen shot looks right on.

If your color hue is off on a model 1 you can adjust that variable capacitor on the motherboard to adjust the colorburst. However on the intellivision II it's a fixed capacitor so you'll need to replace it with either a trimmer cap or one of the value you'd like.

If your color hue is off on a model 1 you can adjust that variable capacitor on the motherboard to adjust the colorburst. However on the intellivision II it's a fixed capacitor so you'll need to replace it with either a trimmer cap or one of the value you'd like.

This pink potentiometer in the center between the controller port and the rf box (which is mostly disconnected) changed the green-blue to sky blue on my Intellivision II.

I do like your resistor value changes. It looks a bit better.

I also dropped the Mylar cap to ground -- it seems a bit cleaner without it. All I had it there was for the shifting of the blue-green to more sky blue.

I need to try it on the CRT next.

post-29575-0-91345700-1428896636_thumb.jpg

Edited by iesposta

This pink potentiometer in the center between the controller port and the rf box (which is mostly disconnected) changed the green-blue to sky blue on my Intellivision II.

I do like your changes. I need to try it on the CRT next.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It's actually not a potentiometer its trimmer capacitor 5 to 50pf. My Intellivision II actually doesn't have one. There's only a fixed capacitor mounted under the crystal, I guess mine is a later board revision. In my case no adjustment was necessarily on my LCD but on my CRT greens were more brownish especially on tittle screens.

• 3 months later...

So I have been reading up on these Composite Upgrades.

I am a little confused with the 2 main Composite designs being used.

We have SolarFox's and the version from Wiki.

Which is the better circuit? Is there a clear Pros & Cons comparison?

I hoping to upgrade my console but wish to learn from others before diving in.

Thanks!

Edited by retrofixes

• 6 months later...

This is the last time I'm messing with this mod since I'm now satisfied with it. So here's my version of the schematic.

attachicon.gifScreenshot from 2015-04-11 08:59:07.png

Hey Cryptic Odor, I'm curious if this will work with the RF modulator removed?

I've stupidly already destroyed the RF box and I'm stuck with no pic at all. Thanks, Matthew

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the help guys. I might actually buy that RF modulator if things get bad enough.

I've been swapping out resistor values per the various schematics and getting different, albeit scrambled, pictures. Changing the 470R resistor to 1k actually gave me some picture where previously there was no synch.

I'll try the trimpot method next and see if I can dial in working values. Thanks again!

• 1 year later...