IGNORED

Floppy disk copy protection on the TI?

OLD CS1

The idea of having a legally purchased copy of a piece of software and not being allowed to make a backup (I abhorred using the original on a daily basis) is what led to most of the hacking and defeat of protection schemes. Although I still have all of my purchased original copies of the MG programs, I use my backup copies for day-to-day operations. That was the motivation for the McGoverns to hack all of the MG programs - he refused to provide a backup for the original programs when asked.

• Like 2

My program is a Pascal program, with assembly support, running under the UCSD p-system. It only works with the CorComp controller.

If it's still interesting, I'm pretty sure I can find it.

I would be interested now that I have a P-code card :) you will just need to tell me how to get it to run!!

Many thanks!

If you'd like, I can make one up for. DS/SD if you wish.

Thanks, can you please tell me how you will make the copy? Its just I would like to learn how to do it :)

If there is no way for me to do it then I will take you up on your generous offer!!!

Edited by videofx

I just made a copy of advanced diagnostics using track hack. Now, it will tell you it is unable to make a good copy when it ends, but the copy should be good. Take the freshly copied disk and see if AD will load. Im betting it will.

I cant get track hack to write a disk. When I load it it says press any key. I press a key and then it starts copying. It copies 41 tracks. Then it ends. Then it says press any key again and this time the screen say put unformatted disk in drive 2. So I do that, it reads the disk in drive 1 and the motor on drive 2 starts but nothing is ever written to the disk

I would be interested now that I have a P-code card :) you will just need to tell me how to get it to run!!

Many thanks!

Well, let's see what I can do during the upcoming holidays. Now I'm away on a business trip, so there wil be nothing for a while.

I did check it a while ago, and the files seem to be there, in working order. My copier consist of assembly support for four things:

• Read a disk track, regardless of content.
  • Format a track, with any kind of sector numbers.
  • Read any sector number from a track.
  • Write to any sector number on a track.

Then there's a Pascal program, which uses these functions to read a disk track, analyze it, format a copy of it, read data in all sectors on the track and create copies of these sectors in the track on the output disk.

If I remember correctly, this was enough for Advanced diagnostics, but for Explorer the program had to be expanded to also handle unformatted storage in the tracks.

I'm pretty sure it worked with the WD 2793 disk controller chip on the CorComp card only.

I made this program before I had any knowledge of anybody else doing the same thing, so there may be better ways to copy the disks, created by other TI users. I know of come copiers that could handle one specific copy protected disk only. Like being able to copy AD, but nothing else. The good thing with my program was that it could handle any irregular sector numbering (a common trick to fool normal copiers) on its own, and create an identical copy.

Edited by apersson850

Well, let's see what I can do during the upcoming holidays. Now I'm away on a business trip, so there wil be nothing for a while.

I did check it a while ago, and the files seem to be there, in working order. My copier consist of assembly support for four things:

• Read a disk track, regardless of content.
  • Format a track, with any kind of sector numbers.
  • Read any sector number from a track.
  • Write to any sector number on a track.

Then there's a Pascal program, which uses these functions to read a disk track, analyze it, format a copy of it, read data in all sectors on the track and create copies of these sectors in the track on the output disk.

If I remember correctly, this was enough for Advanced diagnostics, but for Explorer the program had to be expanded to also handle unformatted storage in the tracks.

I'm pretty sure it worked with the WD 2793 disk controller chip on the CorComp card only.

I made this program before I had any knowledge of anybody else doing the same thing, so there may be better ways to copy the disks, created by other TI users. I know of come copiers that could handle one specific copy protected disk only. Like being able to copy AD, but nothing else. The good thing with my program was that it could handle any irregular sector numbering (a common trick to fool normal copiers) on its own, and create an identical copy.

Cool, when ever you get a chance I would appreciate your help Thanks!

• 5 months later...