IGNORED

Programs with Mockingboard Support

Tempest

I figured out the issue with Broadsides!, now I can confirm that it's working and identified the workaround needed to get Broadsides! working with Mockingboard in AppleWin.

All that remains to be confirmed is G.I. Joe.

Mockingboard Software Audit 11-20-18.zip

Edited by Great Hierophant

• 8 months later...

I've been trying out the titles that are supplied with Total Replay in my Platinum //e system that has a Mockingboard clone in slot 5.

So far, none of the titles I have tried have provided any Mockingboard sound. Even with the titles that ask for the installation slot. I'm not very happy. Perhaps my clone is not working properly.

I've added a feature request for Total Replay to configure/detect and then convert games to the correct slot.

https://github.com/a2-4am/4cade/issues/43

Edited by Roughana

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Black Belt by Earthware supposedly has Mockingboard and Speech support. 

I tried it in Virtual ][ but it's mainly sound effects and I can't even tell if it's using the Mockingboard.

I saw that there is Mockingboard support in a review in the The Book of Apple Software 1985.

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2020 at 9:33 PM, Byte Knight said:

And don't forget the soon-to-be-released Nox Archaist!

Oh I won't, when it's released.  Until then there isn't enough information for the spreadsheet and the available videos have been most unhelpful to identify what Mockingboard features the game is supposed to support.

On 8/19/2020 at 2:33 PM, ianoid said:

Black Belt by Earthware supposedly has Mockingboard and Speech support. 

I tried it in Virtual ][ but it's mainly sound effects and I can't even tell if it's using the Mockingboard.

I saw that there is Mockingboard support in a review in the The Book of Apple Software 1985.

I tried all available images of Black Belt from Asimov and the only flux-level copy from Archive.org (turned out to be garbage) I could find and they did not produce any Mockingboard sound, just ordinary Speaker sound.  AppleWin has separate sliders for Speaker and Mockingboard sound, making it easy to check when the audio is ambiguous.

Here is the updated spreadsheet.  One new game added to the list is Mockingboard Crowther and Woods Adventure, which was a recent find.  It only's feature is Text to Speech.  I have either working woz images or clean cracked images of all Working Games on the list except for OidZone! and have personally confirmed their Mockingboard capabilities.  

Mockingboard Software Audit 09-28-20.zip

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 8:14 PM, Lee Adamson said:

I am so hyped for Nox Archaist that I am climbing the walls.  =:3  --  Oh I won't, when it's released.  Until then there isn't enough information for the spreadsheet and the available videos have been most unhelpful to identify what Mockingboard features the game is supposed to support.

Hey guys and gals.   I am the one who wrote the Mockingboard software driver for NOX Archaist.  (Having that said, I had nothing to do with the rest of the game).  When I started, there was absolutely no available ram for it to function... so my Midi2Mock software (from Naspite Labs) was totally insufficient for the job.   So we created a tiny player that has 3 voices that eventually ended up running the in the AUX-RAM stack space and only enough room for a 512 byte data buffer for its audio.  Due to that limitation, we could have incredibly simple music, as there was no ram for the music files (the game is insanely huge).   So it was decided to have short dittys to set the mood whenever a major event happened or a new area was encountered/explored.   So yes, it does have mockingboard support, and quite a few custom soundtracks, but due to space limitations, and since its such a long game, we did not want the song to just keep looping endlessly for potentially 30 minutes while exploring an area, getting insanely tedious, they tend to be short 10 to 30 second clips, setting the mood of the area/battle whathave you.   I do plan on making an informational video about the driver, how it works, data structure and how it bent my mind in creating it, running from aux-ram stack space on the interrupts.     I will not lie, it did stretch my abilities and had to build custom assembly tools to program it.   Most of it was coded on graph paper, then transferred to the Apple II.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, Tempest said:

Added Oubliette 2021.  A homebrew that has music and speech.

Mockingboard is only employed for music, speech comes from the internal speaker.

Also, this homebrew only supports an Enhanced //e or better (or just a 65C02 CPU), so those of us without are left out in the cold.

1 hour ago, Great Hierophant said:

Mockingboard is only employed for music, speech comes from the internal speaker.

Also, this homebrew only supports an Enhanced //e or better (or just a 65C02 CPU), so those of us without are left out in the cold.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.  I didn't realize it needed an enhanced IIe, I wonder why?  I don't think I've ever run into a game that needed an enhanced IIe can a regular IIe before.

3 hours ago, Tempest said:

Ah, thanks for the clarification.  I didn't realize it needed an enhanced IIe, I wonder why?  I don't think I've ever run into a game that needed an enhanced IIe can a regular IIe before.

I asked the author about it in the comments section here and he said he would look into why it runs on an enhanced IIe and not an unenhanced IIe : 

What about Nox Archaist?  There is a suggestion that it requires an enhanced IIe : https://nox-archaist.myshopify.com/collections/nox-archaist/products/nox-archaist-digital-edition

I got the word straight from the developers:

Nox Archaist will run on an unenhanced //e with 128k. I believe @Nox Ffred Dragon used a system with this configuration for testing. However, the DHGR splash screen will not display properly if the unenhanced //e has a Revision A motherboard.

And

I think we posted enhanced as required in a few places during development because be weren't 100% sure it would work out to support the standard IIe + 128k

14 hours ago, Tempest said:

I got the word straight from the developers:

The word is sufficiently promising for me to take a chance on it.

I did find one game that does require an Enhanced IIe by accident.  AD&D Champions of Krynn will crash at the title screen if an unenhanced //e is used.  It does not say it requires an Enhanced //e on the box, but both 1.0 and 1.1 will play only on an Enhanced //e.