IGNORED

Programs with Mockingboard Support

Tempest

9 hours ago, Great Hierophant said:

The word is sufficiently promising for me to take a chance on it.

I did find one game that does require an Enhanced IIe by accident.  AD&D Champions of Krynn will crash at the title screen if an unenhanced //e is used.  It does not say it requires an Enhanced //e on the box, but both 1.0 and 1.1 will play only on an Enhanced //e.

Really?  Now that's interesting.  I had that as a kid, but of course I had an enhanced iie.  I'll have to ask on the groups if someone knows why that is, I'm curious.

On 2/4/2021 at 7:51 AM, Tempest said:

Really?  Now that's interesting.  I had that as a kid, but of course I had an enhanced iie.  I'll have to ask on the groups if someone knows why that is, I'm curious.

I found the Apple II Reference card for the game and it specifically states at the end "Note: This game requires that your computer have a 65C02 processor."  Of course it does not say so on the box itself, so I bet SSI or the stores had to process a few returns and deal with a few angry customers.

Champions of Krynn - Command Card.pdf

That is an excellent question, I see no reason for Champions of Krynn to require a 65C02 CPU.  The previous Gold Box games released for the Apple II, Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds, do not require one.  My suggestion is that whomever SSI got to do the port was working with a 65C02 compiler and the issue was not discovered until it was too late to add compatibility for 6502s.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dan Henderson's game Oubliette 2021 released end of January 2021 is a full mockingboard puzzle game for enhanced 128kb systems... has 7 full soundtracks mockingboard soundtracks from the guy who did the Nox Archaist mockingboard engine, and a really cool double lores ending sequence for finishing up the game.... should check it out!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9ww5m7ebtpkv8u/OUBLIETTE 2021.zip?dl=0

14 minutes ago, Tommyptr said:

Dan Henderson's game Oubliette 2021 released end of January 2021 is a full mockingboard puzzle game for enhanced 128kb systems... has 7 full soundtracks mockingboard soundtracks from the guy who did the Nox Archaist mockingboard engine, and a really cool double lores ending sequence for finishing up the game.... should check it out!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9ww5m7ebtpkv8u/OUBLIETTE 2021.zip?dl=0

Already added that one :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love to add to this list.  Ape Escape by Kevin Bagley for SAMS, which is a Crazy Climber clone. It says Mockingboard optional on the disk label. And the manual says Sound/Speech I in slot 4. 

Playing a WOZ of the disk in Virtual ][, the Mockingboard sound is not obvious. I think the clicks when you climb are more complex, but otherwise I can't figure out how it's using the MB.

By the way, the controls are W I A L. So weird. 

Ape Escape - Disk 1, Side A.woz

49 minutes ago, ianoid said:

That is kind of weird.  I was thinking that it made sense because of the two stick nature of the arcade game, but I the more I think about it not really.  Is WA up/down and IL left/right or something like that?

58 minutes ago, ianoid said:

I love to add to this list.  Ape Escape by Kevin Bagley for SAMS, which is a Crazy Climber clone. It says Mockingboard optional on the disk label. And the manual says Sound/Speech I in slot 4. 

Playing a WOZ of the disk in Virtual ][, the Mockingboard sound is not obvious. I think the clicks when you climb are more complex, but otherwise I can't figure out how it's using the MB.

Ape Escape - Disk 1, Side A.woz 235.84 kB · 4 downloads

Nice, great you found another game with support.

I had a try of the woz with MAME but it did not seem to want to boot. I then went hunting to see if there was any other images and found a file based one on Asimov. If you use the latest version of MAME v0231, then it plays speech in the game via the SC01 on the mockingboard emulation ok. You need the latest version as there has been some updates that allow the MB detection in this game to pass ok.

/Rob

• 2 weeks later...

The Ape Escape .woz image boots on my //e, but it does not get past the title screen if my Phasor is in the system.  The game runs correctly when the card is removed.  The .woz image and the pirate file-based cracks also behave identically in AppleWin.

Edited by Great Hierophant

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, ianoid said:

Wow, one I’ve never seen that claims Speach & Sound support -Werewolf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255752395610

Will attach photos for permanence. 

I can't seem to find any info, images, or videos on the game. It looks like it was programmed by the same guy that did Expedition Amazon for Penguin.