IGNORED

Programs with Mockingboard Support

Tempest

As far as I know, these are the old Apple II games that support the Mockingboard sound card. Some of these may only support the Mockingboard in the latest version of the program (such as Rescue Raiders). Let me know if I've missed any.

8Bit-Slicks (2021 Homebrew)

Adventure Construction Set

Airsim-3

Ape Escape (SC-01 speech chip only)

Apple Cider Spider

Attack of the Petscii Robots (2021 Homebrew)

Auto Gyro

Bank Street Music Writer

BerZap

Bouncing Kamungas

Broadside

Clarinet Master

Crimewave (speech)

Crypt of Medea (speech)

Cybernoid Music Disk

Flute Master

GuitarMaster

Lady Tut (Mockngboard specific version)

Lancaster (Mockngboard specific version)

Maze Craze

Microbe

Midi2Mock
Mockingboard software (Sweet Micro Systems)
Mockingboard Developers Kit

Mockingboard Speech Developers Kit

Music Construction Set

Music Star

Night Flight

Nox Archaist (2020 Homebrew)

One on One (opening music only)

Oubliette 2021 (2021 Homebrew)

Pitfall II

Phasor software (Applied Engineering)

Popeye

Rescue Raiders v 1.3 (SSI263 speech only)

Saxophone Master

Silent Service

Singing Master

Skyfox

Spy Strikes Back (original Mockingboard only?)

Tactical Armor Command

Thunderbombs (original Mockingboard only)

Trumpet Master

Ultima III (Mockngboard specific version)

Ultima IV

Ultima V (supports two Mockingboards)

Under Fire

Willy's Byte

Window

Zaxxon (Mockngboard specific version)

ZooKeeper

The following games are listed as Mockingboard compatible, but no one can get them to work:

GI Joe

• Like 1

This might be helpful: http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.downloads.reactivemicro.com%2FPublic%2FApple%2520II%2520Items%2FHardware%2FMockingboard_v1%2FMockingboard-v1a-Docs.pdf&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFRHZZ7mUqvodpNwxAjwZZ_ADaclQ

Despite being listed as Mockingboard compatible, I have been unsuccessful in getting the following games to use my mockingboard rev D: Lancaster, Thunder Bombs, and G.I. Joe. Unless someone can show me otherwise, I don't believe these work with the mockingboard.

Thanks for the link!

I can try those with my Mockingboard (Reactive Micro version) later this week. I know G.I. Joe was already questioned so it might not be compatible. I'll put some sort of marking on the ones that are in dispute.

On my list I also see:

Cybernoid Music Disk
Microbe (Synergistic)
Popeye
It looks like on your list you have Maze Craze listed twice.

Thanks for the link!

I can try those with my Mockingboard (Reactive Micro version) later this week. I know G.I. Joe was already questioned so it might not be compatible. I'll put some sort of marking on the ones that are in dispute.

I could actually understand G.I. Joe being mistakenly listed because it has some impressive music and sound effects by Apple II standards.

A bit off topic, but Tanrunomad your avatar is showing up as a broken image.

On my list I also see:

Cybernoid Music Disk
Microbe (Synergistic)
Popeye
It looks like on your list you have Maze Craze listed twice.

Fixed that. I was thinking about only listing GAMES, but since I already have stuff like Saxophone Master listed, I might as well go all out.

If you're going to also add in the notes, you should also indicate that Ultima V supports two (dual) Mockingboards.

It will be quite the effort, but it would be great if eventually we also confirm the working versions of each of these, i.e., these actually do support the Mockingboard, and have links to the known good versions. These types of lists have been going around for some time now and there are still some questionable (not confirmed) entries.

Regarding Thunder Bombs, it apparently only works with the original version of the Mockingboard:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/loguidice/14899346925/in/photostream/

interesting. It says the Spy Strikes Back also only works with the original version. Can anyone confirm this?

I had that dual mockingboard note, but it got lost in one of the updates. I'll fix that.

Again, that's why we need some structured testing with different Mockingboard versions (and the effective clones). If only someone can go to the effort of compiling all of the games, then we could go about testing each one in different board configurations. Does anyone know if any of the emulators support the various Mockingboard configurations? That might be a way to do the initial testing a bit quicker. Of course, as with a ROM image of the updated Ultima II from the Ultima Trilogy, I have a feeling we'll have a tough time tracking down many of these ROMs.

Anyway, probably for reference purposes, you should note (may only work with original Mockingboard) on the "Spy Strikes Back" entry since that's clearly specified on the note.

Of course, as with a ROM image of the updated Ultima II from the Ultima Trilogy, I have a feeling we'll have a tough time tracking down many of these ROMs.

I have the Ultima Trilogy and U2 does not support Mockingboard (only U3). Unfortunately one of my U3 disk images is corrupted so I can't play all the way through (Exodus's Castle is corrupted). I need to find a good version of it.

I have the Ultima Trilogy and U2 does not support Mockingboard (only U3). Unfortunately one of my U3 disk images is corrupted so I can't play all the way through (Exodus's Castle is corrupted). I need to find a good version of it.

I know it doesn't. I meant that the Ultima Trilogy is the only way to get the updated version of Ultima II (enhanced graphics and bug fixes), and there's no ROM image I'm aware of anywhere. I haven't scored a boxed copy of the Apple II version of Ultima Trilogy yet and I wanted to try out the enhanced version of Ultima II.

I know it doesn't. I meant that the Ultima Trilogy is the only way to get the updated version of Ultima II (enhanced graphics and bug fixes), and there's no ROM image I'm aware of anywhere. I haven't scored a boxed copy of the Apple II version of Ultima Trilogy yet and I wanted to try out the enhanced version of Ultima II.

I'm willing to loan my disks out to someone if they think they can crack it. Maybe they can fix my U3 disk while they're at it.

Regarding Thunder Bombs, it apparently only works with the original version of the Mockingboard:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/loguidice/14899346925/in/photostream/

This might explain a lot actually. I recall when I was making my video review of the Mockingboard, at least 5-6 games not working with it. The ones I listed above just happen to be the ones I remember specifically. So in addition to dealing with specific versions of games, we now also having Mockingboard-version variables to deal with! I wonder if some of the clones are more compatible than my original rev D card.

I'm willing to loan my disks out to someone if they think they can crack it. Maybe they can fix my U3 disk while they're at it.

Well, the good news is is that there's nothing special about that version of Ultima III, so you can just build new disks that give you the same experience from the existing DSK images out there. Of course, that still doesn't solve the Ultima II issue. ;-)

Well, the good news is is that there's nothing special about that version of Ultima III, so you can just build new disks that give you the same experience from the existing DSK images out there. Of course, that still doesn't solve the Ultima II issue. ;-)

I tried that. The problem happens when I enter Exodus's castle (the game errors out with some nasty disk drive noises), but when I use any of the existing DSK images instead the castle loads all corrupted. I assume something must be different.

• Like 1

Tempest-- Sent you a PM regarding this. We have some history with Broderbund's The Toy Shop. :)

I've got an original Mockingboard and one of the newer Korean Mockingboard clones I could use to test against the list. I agree, having a single location with all the verified Mockingboard compatible .dsk images would be great.

Rich

Tempest-- Sent you a PM regarding this. We have some history with Broderbund's The Toy Shop. :)

I've got an original Mockingboard and one of the newer Korean Mockingboard clones I could use to test against the list. I agree, having a single location with all the verified Mockingboard compatible .dsk images would be great.

Rich

Has anyone made a .dsk image of Rescue Raiders v1.3? IIRC the only disk in the archive is a .po file and I don't know if I can use ADTPro with that (maybe you can by now).

Speaking of Mockingboards, I'm still looking for a SSI263 chip. Anyone know where one can be procured?

• 2 weeks later...

It is here :

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/games/rpg/ultima/ultima_II/

The files are named Ultima_II_-_Program_Disk.dsk, Ultima_II_-_Player_Disk.dsk and Ultima_II_-_Galactic_Disk.dsk. They have been there for a long time. Except for supporting the dedicated Up and Down cursor keys of the IIe and (one hopes) the bugfix for the strength increase bug, and probably faster load times, there are only cosmetic differences between the later Origin Systems/Ultima Trilogy and the early Online Systems releases.

I believe the incompatibility with the Arcade Album maybe because the original Sound/speech boards used an SC-01 speech chip and the later Mockingboard cards used an SSI-263.

• Like 1

Has anyone made a .dsk image of Rescue Raiders v1.3? IIRC the only disk in the archive is a .po file and I don't know if I can use ADTPro with that (maybe you can by now).

Speaking of Mockingboards, I'm still looking for a SSI263 chip. Anyone know where one can be procured?

I believe that .po and .do disk images are the same as a regular .dsk image. A dsk image is a straight dump of the sectors on a regular DOS 3.3 or ProDOS formatted disk. .po indicates a ProDOS formatted disk, .do indicates a DOS 3.3 formatted disk.

The physical format for either type of disk is 35 tracks x 16 sectors per track x 256 bytes per sector = 143,360 bytes for a dsk file.

I use a Phasor. If you need me to test out the various games listed with it, I can. I'd love to see a table on the 'net with tested disk images and the various versions of the Mockingboard, as well as my good friend the Phasor- and other compatibles.

So did anything use the Echo? There are a good number of those available, more than the Mockingboard- perhaps due to limited demand. Is there any software that took advantage of the Echo?

It is here :

The files are named Ultima_II_-_Program_Disk.dsk, Ultima_II_-_Player_Disk.dsk and Ultima_II_-_Galactic_Disk.dsk. They have been there for a long time. Except for supporting the dedicated Up and Down cursor keys of the IIe and (one hopes) the bugfix for the strength increase bug, and probably faster load times, there are only cosmetic differences between the later Origin Systems/Ultima Trilogy and the early Online Systems releases.

Ah so it IS dumped. I sent my U3 Trilogy disks off to Blackbag to to be dumped (and to fix my U3 disk which had a bad sector).

It is here :

I believe the incompatibility with the Arcade Album maybe because the original Sound/speech boards used an SC-01 speech chip and the later Mockingboard cards used an SSI-263.

Thank you! It's amazing that so few people were aware of its availability.

I think you're also right on the Mockingboard incompatibility. I wonder if this switch was made due to availability issues or there was some special technical reason for the switch?