IGNORED

Demon Attack cart (with speech)

dphirschler

It’s my understanding that Super Demon Attack in cart form did not have speech (Why? I do not know). The British speech is quite impressive, and really made the game more enjoyable for me. I was very surprised to find the cart did not have the speech included. Is there any interest to make a run of carts with the speech version? I am sure I am not the only one to have this game on disk.

Darryl

Holy crap, it never occurred to me that the cartridge lacked speech but there is a disk version that has on the Game Shelf. Now I have to put my system up in the living room to try out the cartridge to see for sure!

Cartridge has no speech.

Disk Version has speech.

Speech version already on a multi-game cart.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/224528-setting-up-a-512k-cart/page-6?do=findComment&comment=2987665

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo
  • Like 1

Cartridge has no speech.

Disk Version has speech.

Speech version already on a multi-game cart.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/224528-setting-up-a-512k-cart/page-6?do=findComment&comment=2987665

Gazoo

I am curious to hear the speech. I have to transfer it to my CF7 tonight.

• 5 years later...

Will grab some on real iron tonight when I have the chance and if none turns up by then, as I love everything about the game.  The huge, sprawling background.  The enemy patterns.  The big sprites.  The hilarious speech.  Pretty sure the copy on my FinalGROM has speech.  Which quite surprised me, at some point, but less so for the fact that I never had a speech synth module with which to hear it regardless, on my original TI-99. 

Super Demon Attack was replaced with another game recently, during the monthly game contest on this forum. Apparently there’s no way to get past level two or three? I forget which level but very early on in the “game.” 

Shown here: 

It appears Super Demon Attack for the TI-99/4 is severely flawed. Basically impossible to beat and/or play after a few levels. The title screen  says DEMON ATTACK which does not match the cartridge label? Seriously? 

Was this game quickly released to cart before it was actually completed?   

Did iMagic rush to production a game in progress when TI pulled the plug back in 1983?

I'm really sorry to hear that's the case. The game really made an impact on me with its graphics, on my original TI-99.  And seemed to control rather nicely, with fun enemy patterns. Consequently, I’ve always thought of it very fondly.  

So I’m sorry to hear that it doesn’t follow through where real long term challenge is concerned.  But honestly, I was never very good at any of the classic TI-99 games I owned, and didn’t really expect to be.  So in that limited scope of lazy, periodic, inept novice gameplay, Super Demon Attack always seemed to hang with the best of them.  And I’ll probably continue to think well of it, consequently.

• Like 1

Cool game and the speech adds a lot to its atmosphere. Controls are a little sticky and there's collision detection issues, but the main problem we have with the TI version, is due to its fancy moon and planet graphic at the bottom of the screen. They have a tendency to mask "bullets", so you end up needlessly dying more often than not as a result. That and the demons coming out of the demon ship, sure pick up speed in a hurry!

I wonder if someone would consider doing a rom hack to tweak the difficulty curve, in one way or another.  I know as far as TI-99 games go, Demon Attack isn't among the most celebrated, and I know as far as versions of Demon Attack go, the TI-99 version isn't among the most celebrated.  But surely I'm not the only one who's nostalgic about it. 

• Like 1

I wonder if someone would consider doing a rom hack to tweak the difficulty curve, in one way or another.  I know as far as TI-99 games go, Demon Attack isn't among the most celebrated, and I know as far as versions of Demon Attack go, the TI-99 version isn't among the most celebrated.  But surely I'm not the only one who's nostalgic about it. 
It's going to take more than a hack more like new code. Without source that can be tough.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, pixelpedant said:

The game graphics are beautiful especially considering it was developed in 1983. Cleaning up (removing) the moon/planet graphic and slowing down those damn demon spawn would be an awesome project. Do we have a place where game code listings are available?

• Like 2

In terms of "Super Demon Attack". Break out your Spring 1984 Triton catalog and flip to page 8 for "Super Demon Attack". Take note of the pictured manual..."Demon Attack", not "Super". Apparently some manuals were printed (or at least the covers) without the Super moniker attached.

https://archive.org/details/triton-catalogs

• Like 2