IGNORED

Converting GK files to modules/carts (rpk)

dphirschler

I have a ton of GK cart rips from back in the day. I’d love to convert them back into (virtual) module for use in the emulators. Is it possible, and if so, which utilities can do it? I Googled it, but it’s difficult for me to understand the search results. Some of the emulator utilities’ descriptions are vague and/or hard to understand.

Darryl

I have a ton of GK cart rips from back in the day. I’d love to convert them back into (virtual) module for use in the emulators. Is it possible, and if so, which utilities can do it? I Googled it, but it’s difficult for me to understand the search results. Some of the emulator utilities’ descriptions are vague and/or hard to understand.

Darryl

Just go here:

ftp://ftp.whtech.com/Cartridges/rpk/

Whatever you have is probably already converted.

Gazoo

• 1 month later...

Yes, RPKs are ZIP packages. I could have stayed with the ".zip" extension, but I was afraid that people would start to unpack them, which is not intended for use in MESS. (OpenDocument formats like .odt oder OfficeOpenXML (.docx) are also ZIP archives; try to unpack them).

The GROMs in the RPKs are concatenated plain dumps without headers but with data in 1800-1FFF. In Unix systems you can use

split -b8192 completefile.bin grom

so you will get files gromaa, gromab, gromac ... as a result.

Don't know what to use in Windows, though. :)

Are RPK files simply ZIPs of Mess versions of cartridges?

Is it possible to un- conjugate the groms into single files to load into the pgram card. I assume the loader will not understand the format they are currently in.

It's much much easier to load the RPK in MESS and then run the CARTSAVE program to save the cartridge in TI format than to convert it manually. I've done it both ways.

Gazoo