IGNORED

Instrumentarium: Final release, links & summary

analmux

At places, this sounds much closer to the original than I expected! Good job.

Almost 2 days I tried not to write to this post.

It's like I'm watching the wrong movie or so.

Ever thought of SID is somehow the master of those old chips for replaying music?

All Instruments in "Instrumentarium" were not a real problem for SID. Just set the wave and play it through several octaves.

The "Guitar" sound is a idea Bernhard and I developed. For me it sounds too harsh, but it allows to replay music that SID cannot do. But all "low sounding instruments" were "standard" on the SID.

Remember that most POKEY tunes sound like overdriven itch and scratch arrangements. And only after Analmux did the RMT patches, there was a relieving demonstration available that POKEY can replay music.

Almost 2 days I tried not to write to this post.

It's like I'm watching the wrong movie or so.

Ever thought of SID is somehow the master of those old chips for replaying music?

All Instruments in "Instrumentarium" were not a real problem for SID. Just set the wave and play it through several octaves.

The "Guitar" sound is a idea Bernhard and I developed. For me it sounds too harsh, but it allows to replay music that SID cannot do. But all "low sounding instruments" were "standard" on the SID.

Remember that most POKEY tunes sound like overdriven itch and scratch arrangements. And only after Analmux did the RMT patches, there was a relieving demonstration available that POKEY can replay music.

My intentions for porting it to the SID were to spread this song outside of the Atari fanbase. Don't feel bad, though, as the SID chip can't preserve the tempo of fast songs without losing some notes of the song because of that stupid bug that Commodore didn't even fix in the later revisions. The POKEY now has a couple of advantages: playing fast music, and having a variety of waveforms. In fact, you can use the AUDC registers to enable the POKEY to even emulate the SID. I'm sure that this debate of these 2 sound chips are far from over. ;)

I'm sure that this debate of these 2 sound chips are far from over. ;)

It should. But then I read posts like #24 .

There is no discussion needed which chip or computer can do "what" better or worse.

The real problem is that over all the gone decades things has been spreaded that weren't really true. Resulting in the fact that even today no Tracker exists that is able to do what the patched RMT does.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
On 9/23/2018 at 8:36 PM, EnderDude said:

Has anyone tried to make a song like Instrumentarium? Like, where you would use extra register value, like that awesome guitar instrument in the song?

When I first heard the guitar in Instrumentarium, I immediately thought of this:

I wonder if that could be recreated with POKEY...I'm not good enough to figure it out :(