IGNORED

Atari Lynx version 1: screen problem, left third is dimmer

slaanesh

I have both versions of the Atari Lynx however my v1 has a screen problem:

The left third or so of the screen is significantly dimmer than the rest - otherwise everything seems to be working nicely... No dead pixels or anything like that.

Would this problem be fixed by replacing the capacitors?

I'll post a pic and serial number tonight.

The screen one my lynx 1 has a significant portion that is dimmer than the rest as well - though not quite this dim. I did some research of old forum posts and old websites discussing the issue some time ago, and the conclusion was that this is part of the lynx experience/related to the fact that it was early color lcd technology - some screens are better than others, but it is not uncommon to have this issue to a degree.

Alright, so that's a pity.

Could I swap the LCD screen with another? Or is this a difficult operation? Or just forget it?

Swapping the screen is not so difficult. Just open the lock bits gently before pulling out the ribbon cables. And close the locks gently after you have inserted the new LCD. Pulling cables by force is a bad idea.

Edit: this was for Lynx 2. I don't know if Lynx 1 is harder.

Edited by karri

The Lynx 1 LCD panel is tightly bound to the motherboard. I haven't tried replacing it, as it seems undoable to disconnect it from the board.

Okay well that's pretty much that! Thanks for the information.

Do you know if anyone has been able to repair my specific problem with my Lynx, or is it a matter of just putting up with it as-is?