Jump to content
PSW

Jaguar Bomberman

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Sorry for the microbump but i thought it was interesting to share with y'all here: Mike recently posted on Twitter a sprite sheet of Bomberman Legends + that drawing of the three Bombermans he posted a few years ago cleaned up that would've been used for the game's intro sequence (https://twitter.com/MikeJMika/status/1377048462089281537).

ExxBJpJU8AAL_G5.png

ExxCPE2VcAQCdQ_.png

Looks somewhat worse than on SNES and TurboGrafx. Iam a "64bit" disappointed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe @SebRmv & The Removers will one day release their Bomberman like game...

But I haven't see him/it (neither Seb or the game) for many years :(

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Something is very wrong with the pixels of Jaguar BM sprites, they look misaligned and messy, probably due to scaling?

 

That is how they should look:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fadest said:

Maybe @SebRmv & The Removers will one day release their Bomberman like game...

But I haven't see him/it (neither Seb or the game) for many years :(

With 2 bomberman games comin to Lynx, it will eventually show up on Jaguar. 🙂  I think we (homebrew community) could do a much nicer version than BM Legends, at least for the graphics.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Fadest said:

Maybe @SebRmv & The Removers will one day release their Bomberman like game...

But I haven't see him/it (neither Seb or the game) for many years :(

Speaking of, what happened to that project? There's still images of the game out there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, agradeneu said:

 

Something is very wrong with the pixels of Jaguar BM sprites, they look misaligned and messy, probably due to scaling?

 

That is how they should look:

 

 

 

That's how Mike posted the image on Twitter. If you want my two cents, they probably wanted to give their own spin with how Bomberman looked compared to the 16-bit iterations with a more cartoon-sequel movement. Atomic Bomberman (another US-developed Bomberman title) had radically different designs compared to the Japanese one. That's just my opinion though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, KidGameR186496 said:

That's how Mike posted the image on Twitter. If you want my two cents, they probably wanted to give their own spin with how Bomberman looked compared to the 16-bit iterations with a more cartoon-sequel movement. Atomic Bomberman (another US-developed Bomberman title) had radically different designs compared to the Japanese one. That's just my opinion though...

I don't think so. They tried to mimic the cartoon style of the originals but it falls short. The pixelwork looks messy. 

But maybe it looks better animated? But it does not look that there are more than 4 frames per movement. Overall it could be done alot better. I would say it looks a bit amateurish, but to give them the benefit of the doubt, it is a very early WIP.

 

Edit: It's 8 frames, so probably more fluid animation

Nontheless the PC Engine version looks 3x times better than what the screenshot of the Jag version promises to be.

Edited by agradeneu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2017 at 8:50 PM, D.Daniels said:

 

oh I get you, I suppose it is like the PC Engine, it was 8 bit but looked and competed with the 16 bit era (SF2), I always think of bits as power because being a kid in 80's/90's that's all we were told all the time lol

The PC engine main CPU was indeed an 8-bit CPU, just like the Atari main CPU is a 16-bit CPU (the same main CPU as in the Genesis)

However, the PC Engine hade a 16-bit graphics system more similar to the 16-bit arcade mahines (482 different colors on the screen at the same time). Just like the Jaguar has the 64-bit object processor (65536 different colors in the screen at the same time)

My point is, how do you really define the number of bits a system has?

Do you take the highest number of bits of any part of the system, or does it have to be the bits of the main CPU?

To this day there has only been one pure 64-bit system, and that is the DEC Alpha (as mentioned above). Today PCs are not even pure 64-bit, because in the x86_64 most of parts are 32-bit or less, at least half of it is 16-bit, some 8-bit parts, and some part is 4-bit (it's really only the address space that is 64-bit). It's not even a RISC CPU, like the Jaguar co-processors, and the DEC Alpha. So how do they achevie speed on the PC, they just crank up the clock frequency crazy (e.g. giga hertz)

I have tried Linux on a DEC Alpha (the only pure 64-bit) running at a couple of hundreds of megahertz (compared to the gigahertz of a PC), an it runs like a blast. Imagine how fast that could be if they would crank up the clock speed of the DEC Alpha to several gigahertz?

But having such high frequency is really an energy bandit, so imagine how much resources we waste just becuase the didn't make the PCs pure 64-bit, and RISC (e.g. smarter), running at a few hundreds of megahertz instead...

Edited by phoboz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, phoboz said:

The PC engine main CPU was indeed an 8-bit CPU, just like the Atari main CPU is a 16-bit CPU (the same main CPU as in the Genesis)

However, the PC Engine hade a 16-bit graphics system more similar to the 16-bit arcade mahines (482 different colors on the screen at the same time). Just like the Jaguar has the 64-bit object processor (65536 different colors in the screen at the same time)

My point is, how do you really define the number of bits a system has?

Do you take the highest number of bits of any part of the system, or does it have to be the bits of the main CPU?

To this day there has only been one pure 64-bit system, and that is the DEC Alpha (as mentioned above). Today PCs are not even pure 64-bit, because in the x86_64 most of parts are 32-bit or less, at least half of it is 16-bit, some 8-bit parts, and some part is 4-bit (it's really only the address space that is 64-bit). It's not even a RISC CPU, like the Jaguar co-processors, and the DEC Alpha. So how do they achevie speed on the PC, they just crank up the clock frequency crazy (e.g. giga hertz)

I have tried Linux on a DEC Alpha (the only pure 64-bit) running at a couple of hundreds of megahertz (compared to the gigahertz of a PC), an it runs like a blast. Imagine how fast that could be if they would crank up the clock speed of the DEC Alpha to several gigahertz?

But having such high frequency is really an energy bandit, so imagine how much resources we waste just becuase the didn't make the PCs pure 64-bit, and RISC (e.g. smarter), running at a few hundreds of megahertz instead...

Like the Lynx, 8 bit CPU, but 16 bit graphics engine. The level of graphical detail is more comparable to 16 bit machines than to 8 bit machines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

Like the Lynx, 8 bit CPU, but 16 bit graphics engine. The level of graphical detail is more comparable to 16 bit machines than to 8 bit machines. 

Yes so it's not only the bits of the main CPU. In the end it's all about how you program whatever system you have.

 

For example, the reason why the PC is locked in the gigahertz race is because it has to be able to run all kind of legacy software from MS DOS etc.

Since these programs were made using 16-bit techniques, they can only be made faster by increasing the clock speed, because 64-bit will not speed up a 16-bit program. Unfortunately this has also lead to laziness, there there is very little gain to program for the PC using high-performance computing methods.

 

So programming the Jaguar is actually more similar to program a high performance computing system, because the true power of the Jaguar can only be unlocked by using the combination of different subsystems in an efficient way. If you only employ 16-bit programming methods, like in the old MS DOS software for the PC, you will never see any 64-bit quality games on the Jaguar...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As some proof of concept we (Phoboz and me) have an early homebrew "Bomberman" proto running, done in a couple of weeks. So it is possible, you don't need to wait another 10 years or pay 100x bucks for an unfinished prototype of BM Legends ;-)

 

 

Screenshot (372).png

Screenshot (373).png

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, agradeneu said:

As some proof of concept we (Phoboz and me) have an early homebrew "Bomberman" proto running, done in a couple of weeks. So it is possible, you don't need to wait another 10 years or pay 100x bucks for an unfinished prototype of BM Legends ;-)

 

 

Screenshot (372).png

Screenshot (373).png

No joke, you guys are truly on fire! If this is like the GBA Bomberman adventure game then cool, the more the merrier! (P.S.: I welcome having Bomberman Legends and this Bomberman concept on the Jag :D)

Edited by KidGameR186496
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's never enough Bomberman. :-D

Imagine going from zero to three versions. Heh

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PeterG said:

There's never enough Bomberman. :-D

Imagine going from zero to three versions. Heh

That's the spirit! We need more games to make use of that Team Tap for multiplayer action on Jaguar :)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

No joke, you guys are truly on fire! If this is like the GBA Bomberman adventure game then cool, the more the merrier! (P.S.: I welcome having Bomberman Legends and this Bomberman concept on the Jag :D)

It would focus on local multiplayer battle mode (with team tap) . That is the most fun part of any BM game by far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

I wonder if Mike would be interested in getting another pixel artist to help with this?

So he really wants to complete it? Then he should have no problem hiring better pixelartist I guess. ;-)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...