IGNORED

Looking for Indus GT disk with GTDOC.COM on it

TheRealAnubis

Hi all,

I'm working on an Atari Indus GT drive and I'd like to do more testing with a program that's mentioned in the Field Service Manual (Section 4 page 4-2) - GTDOC.COM.

I looked on the only 2 disks that I have for the GT - DosXL and Data Manager and it's not on there. I don't have an SIO2PC, so the image that I've found (INDUSGTD.ATR) won't help me with the actual drive.

Can anyone make me a copy of this disk? I would really appreciate it! Right now my drive reads fine, but won't format a disk - I'm getting the 'F9' error. I've tried multiple disks and changing the density selector on the back with the same failed result.

Thank you!

Edited by TheRealAnubis

Hi all,

I'm working on an Atari Indus GT drive and I'd like to do more testing with a program that's mentioned in the Field Service Manual (Section 4 page 4-2) - GTDOC.COM.

I looked on the only 2 disks that I have for the GT - DosXL and Data Manager and it's not on there. I don't have an SIO2PC, so the image that I've found (INDUSGTD.ATR) won't help me with the actual drive.

Can anyone make me a copy of this disk? I would really appreciate it! Right now my drive reads fine, but won't format a disk - I'm getting the 'F9' error. I've tried multiple disks and changing the density selector on the back with the same failed result.

Thank you!

Error 9 is VERIFY, so F9 probably means it failed to complete or verify the format. Have you tried another disk or formatted it in another drive, it could just be a bad disk.

If you have an old PC with a 360K 5.25 drive you could try using WriteAtr to create a floppy from the ATR image. There is also another program called AtariDsk that should allow reading/writing/formatting 180K DD Atari disks on the same machine.

http://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thank you!

Indus GT drives, in my experience, fail to read and write the last 20 sectors of a disk. So, if my guess is right, your effort to format a disk fails because of those

last sectors. You could verify what I'm saying with my RW13.COM, which simply reads, writes, verifies sectors. The .ATR INDUSGTD.ATR only has a GT program on it which

only tests the speed of your drive, it isn't a very helpful disk, or at least I couldn't get the 'DIAGS' program to do anything. Since you don't have a APE/SIO2PC interface,

you have no way of running programs other than someone sending you a disk, I guess.

I confess, I got finished with my GTs and gave them away.

DOS25.zip

Edited by russg

Not my experience here... mine works flawlessly.

I gave a 800XL setup to a kid Atari enthusiast, with some game floppies and two Indus. The game floppies work, I think, because they don't use

the last 20 sectors. I don't remember what I was trying to do that was frustrated by what I surmised was sector 700+ failures. It may have been

an effort to format. I do remember that I put more than one test floppy in and tried to read 700+ and they failed.

The Indus is a great looking and neat front panel with door and track display, etc.

The kid had no SIO2PC or other tools to mess with, so the Indus would work fine for him. I haven't heard from him since, so I really don't

know how or what he did.

If the OP can verify when he got the F9 error trying to format, what track it was on, that may tell if it was track 39.

'F9' error is a verify data error during format.

Edited by russg
  • Like 1

Indus GT drives, in my experience, fail to read and write the last 20 sectors of a disk. So, if my guess is right, your effort to format a disk fails because of those

last sectors. You could verify what I'm saying with my RW13.COM, which simply reads, writes, verifies sectors. The .ATR INDUSGTD.ATR only has a GT program on it which

only tests the speed of your drive, it isn't a very helpful disk, or at least I couldn't get the 'DIAGS' program to do anything. Since you don't have a APE/SIO2PC interface,

you have no way of running programs other than someone sending you a disk, I guess.

I confess, I got finished with my GTs and gave them away.

Thanks for the info - If I get some way to write my own disks I'll give it a try!

Error 9 is VERIFY, so F9 probably means it failed to complete or verify the format. Have you tried another disk or formatted it in another drive, it could just be a bad disk.

If you have an old PC with a 360K 5.25 drive you could try using WriteAtr to create a floppy from the ATR image. There is also another program called AtariDsk that should allow reading/writing/formatting 180K DD Atari disks on the same machine.

http://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/

Great! I'll have a look.. I think I have a 5.25 drive in my old 286 machine.. I'll just have to dig that up.. Not sure if it's 1.2MB, or 360K.. It's been quite a while!

Edited by TheRealAnubis

• 6 years later...

"DIAGS" is a memory-chewing, 18KB Microsoft-Basic version of GT diagnostics... which is better launched on a 52K base-ram configuration and using disk-based Microsoft Basic-I interpreter (with minimal HIMEM provisions for correct E: GR.0 operation on OS/B).

Otherwise, you will hit "out of memory" error, after a few random operations with DIAGS.