IGNORED

Sabre Wulf

Asmusr

I was thinking along the lines that the stationary collectable objects could be rendered as software sprites leaving the hardware sprites available for the moving characters.

I watched a playthrough of SabreWulf and the main problem regarding sprite movement seems to be in the more open areas of the playfield where the movement and generation of the sprites becomes a bit more random. The narrow "corridors" of the game very rarely seem to have more than four movable objects at any one time.(granted this would depend on how long the main character remains stationary).

P.S-no title screen? sob sob :_(

Yes the orchids and the collectable objects will be made using patterns/characters/tiles so the sprites can be reserved for moveable objects.

Just fantastic! This is one of my favourite games! :)

Sure title screen would be nice to have, but I think missing title screen would be a small thing if at least most of this game can be converted to TI. :) And title screen was like in-game screen with some added text anyway. :) I think if this game will not have title screen at all, but just shows starting screen, it will add some charm to this game, as many 1980s game conversions were usually not perfect, they usually missed a thing or two or more from the original game. :)

Thank you for your job already!

I will make a title screen at some point, but the loading screen that I included in the first demo was in fact only shown during loading on the Spectrum. It was loaded directly to video RAM and I could do the same on the TI, but it would only stay there for a few seconds.

i love to read or listen the stories of those people who lived the true computing history of past years... ;)

What is really sad about many of the younger generation... they've always had the Net and all this stuff at their finger tips. They've never had the experience and feeling of awe that comes with a new technology or the compelling draw that comes with it. They spend so much time 'tweeting' and being social butterflies on Facebook that most of them do not even have a basic understanding of electronics or the interest to learn. It's all about their 'Smartphone'.

Not much has happened from the outside, but the Sabreman can finally swing his sword, and the loading screen is back by popular demand. But behind the scenes I have done quite a lot of refactoring to turn the demo into a basis for a game. As Artrag suggested the Sabreman's sprite patterns are now uploaded on the fly, leaving 61 16x16 patterns free for animals.

post-35226-0-16013500-1409327481_thumb.png

The next thing I will do is to add the collectable items - then at least you will have something to do in the demo - but I'm not sure how they are supposed to be distributed so I have to study the original game.

SabreWulfDemo2.zip

• Like 4

Wow, it looks awesome!

If you use hybrid-bitmap mode, you could make room fo more sprite patterns. I do this in my CRPG, I actually have 4k of sprite patterns, 128 16x16 images, and I just set up a mechanism to flip between the two. (A single register write does the trick.)

Loading your character pattern in on the fly should work fine as well, you can store graphics in CPU memory and just blast them to the VDP, if you're not going more than, oh, 512 bytes at a time. Even then it should be fast enough the human eye won't notice.

Adamantyr

Wow, it looks awesome!

If you use hybrid-bitmap mode, you could make room fo more sprite patterns. I do this in my CRPG, I actually have 4k of sprite patterns, 128 16x16 images, and I just set up a mechanism to flip between the two. (A single register write does the trick.)

Loading your character pattern in on the fly should work fine as well, you can store graphics in CPU memory and just blast them to the VDP, if you're not going more than, oh, 512 bytes at a time. Even then it should be fast enough the human eye won't notice.

Adamantyr

Thanks, but I can't you hybrid-bitmap mode since the are up to 480 unique patterns on a single screen (excluding text).

I'm looking forward to seeing your game developed further, we could really use a good RPG on the TI.

Rasmus

Thanks, but I can't you hybrid-bitmap mode since the are up to 480 unique patterns on a single screen (excluding text).

I'm looking forward to seeing your game developed further, we could really use a good RPG on the TI.

Rasmus

Hmm... So you're saying out of the 45 unique screens, at least one has 480 unique patterns ON it? Or do you mean the 480 is spread across the span of maps?

In the latter case, it's possible you could do some clever and judicious swapping... it could get a bit tricky logistically but it's very doable. I load a base ASCII set into the bottom 128 characters in my CRPG, and then load up to 8 different sets in the upper 128 characters depending on map type and mode. If you use memory image files to load directly into VDP you can do pretty quick swaps of the character set.

Thanks, I'm working on it! I'm doing animations of the spell effects now... Hoping I can get a good fireball effect into a video soon. :)

Adamantyr

Hmm... So you're saying out of the 45 unique screens, at least one has 480 unique patterns ON it? Or do you mean the 480 is spread across the span of maps?

There are a total of 1021 jungle patterns + more for orchids, collectable items and text. One screen alone has 480 jungle patterns.

Basic collectable items added. Some of them should really be treated specially, e.g. extra lives and map pieces, but for now all of them are just adding to your score. Also, the original game could have two items on one screen where I only have one. I might change that later on if I have enough RAM left. The top two rows of the screen have also changed from a static bitmap to tiles.

post-35226-0-80814100-1409433643_thumb.png

Did anyone else find this room yet?

EDIT: Arrgh, the sword fighting sprites are broken. Will post a better version later when I understand what's going on...

EDIT 2: Found it, one line had been copied by mistake.

SABREWULF.dsk

• Like 2

So Rasmus is really working on a version of Sabre Wulf for the TI 99 and I have to say "Wow!"

Just "Wow!"...

;-)

I know how you feel. Just when you think it cannot get any better on the TI, the guy comes out and tops himself yet again. And the pace in which he does these programs it truly mind shattering, he's on track to average what, about three new programs per year?

I bow to Rasmus, one of the TI Gods! notworthy-clip.gif

• Like 3

I know how you feel. Just when you think it cannot get any better on the TI, the guy comes out and tops himself yet again. And the pace in which he does these programs it truly mind shattering, he's on track to average what, about three new programs per year?

I bow to Rasmus, one of the TI Gods!

Oh please, take a cold shower. :P

• Like 3