IGNORED

CV ROM Update Project - Commercial Releases - v2.1 (Updated 13-Oct-2021)

Ikrananka

Introduction

It is a known fact that many of the ColecoVision ROM files and ROM file collections available in the public domain are a mess and include major inconsistencies, multiple incorrect versions, missing versions, bad dumps, overdumps, underdumps, etc. This project seeks to rectify this situation by compiling the definitive ColecoVision ROM package for all titles that were commercially released throughout the 1980s.

The objective of this project is to compile a complete and clean set of ROM files for all of the titles commercially released for the ColecoVision from inception through to, and including, the 1980s Telegames releases. This project specifically excludes all non-commercial and unofficial releases such as demos, prototypes, hacks, bootlegs and test cartridges, but does include reproductions where they were commercially released as well as fixes to ROMS with known issues. The intent being to provide the definitive go-to commercial releases ROM set.

Update

Following the release of the first public version of this ROM package (v1.1), a subsequent v1.2 release way back in 2014 and significant update in 2019, I am now pleased to announce a further update (v2.1). This update includes the addition of a new ROM for Moonsweeper which fixes a number of graphical glitches that were present in the original cartridge release.  Thanks to AtariAge member pearsoe for this fix.

For full details of these updates please refer to the changelog in the documentation (page 2 of the pdf).

ROM Package Contents

The attached zip file includes the following:

• ColecoVision ROM Update Project - Commercial Releases (1982-198x) – v2.1pdf - this provides details of the project (including a changelog on page 2), the methodology used for rom dumping and naming as well as details of the major findings.
  • CV ROM Update Project Wanted List v2.1.txt - although this ROM package is deemed to be complete there are a number of rare carts that the project contributors were unable to provide. As such it has not been possible to verify if the ROMs in these carts match those of their corresponding main release or if they may in fact be a variant. If you have any of the carts in the needs list I would be extremely grateful if you could send me a PM. My normal approach is to ask if you can send me the cart for dumping and I will return the cart to you within 24 hours of receipt. Return shipping is at my expense but I do ask that you contribute a little to the project by paying for shipping to me.
  • TOSEC ROM Set – folder containing ROMs with filenames that conform to TOSEC requirements.  These ROMs have a “bin” extension and are zipped.  This folder contains the following sub-folders:
    • Coleco ColecoVision - Commercial Games - folder containing ALL of the ROM files for the commercially released games. The folder also contains a DAT file that can be used to verify the ROM set using a tool such as Clrmamepro or ROMVault.
    • Coleco ColecoVision - Commercial Educational - folder containing ALL of the new ROM files for the commercially released educational titles. The folder also contains a DAT file that can be used to verify the ROM set using a tool such as Clrmamepro or ROMVault.
  • Phoenix-AtariMax ROM Set – folder containing all of the ROMs designed to be simply copied to an SD card for direct use with a CollectorVision Phoenix console or an AtariMax Ultimate SD cartridge.  ROM files are organised both By Alphabet and By Publisher.

Disclaimer

Due to the size and complexity of this project I cannot guarantee that I have not made any errors in its compilation. That said, I have done my level best to be careful and diligent throughout and honestly believe that if there are any errors they are likely to be minor in nature (e.g. incorrect name). Nevertheless, if you do spot any errors or problems then please let me know. As mentioned above, I would like for this ROM collection to become the definitive package and as such your help in correcting any problems is essential.

Wanted List - Request for Help

Included in the attached download is a Wanted List.  This is a list of cartridges that are known to exist but I have been unable to source for dumping.  If you have any of these cartridges then please let me know.  I'm willing to pay for shipping to have the cart(s) sent to me for dumping and returned to you.  Alternatively, if you are able to dump the ROM from the cartridge then please follow these requirements:

• Each cart has to be dumped three times to ensure consistency.
  • Do not edit the dumped files, e.g. if dumped using an AtariMax cart then each dump will be 32K.
  • Take photos of the box, cartridge and game manual (as relevant) sufficient for me to be able to confirm the region and publisher of that cartridge.
  • Send the three 32K dumps and photos to me via PM.

Note that I retain all dumps people have provided me with for audit purposes.  Credit is given to all contributors to this project.

Credit

I would like to thank NIAD, Pixelboy, nanochess, The Great Hierophant, Pitou and pearsoe for their help with this project.

ColecoVision ROM Update Project - Commercial Releases (1982-198x) - v2.1.zip

Edited by Ikrananka
Updated to v2.1
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 9

there is still a small bug at the SPECTRAVIDEO Tittle screen. the 'L seems to be move one byte down. Not the same level as other lettes.

Spectravideo and Mass tael, used to create special letters for eg write: 'LTD so 'L is not the same as L.

Yeah - I saw that one too. Looks like Flipper Slipper also has this error while the other Spectravideo titles do not.

• 2 months later...

For posterity's sake, just added a permanent link on my CV Addiction web site to Ikrananka's definitive CV ROM Update Project v1.2. For those who might need only 1 or a few, the individual ROM files are all available for download as well as the complete package.

http://www.hickorycreek.ca/cvroms.php

• Like 3

For posterity's sake, just added a permanent link on my CV Addiction web site to Ikrananka's definitive CV ROM Update Project v1.2. For those who might need only 1 or a few, the individual ROM files are all available for download as well as the complete package.

Very nice indeed - looks really good :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update to correct the link to Ikrananka's CV ROMs page:

http://www.cvaddiction.com/cvroms.php

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is really fantastic work guys, honestly. Very impressive, especially all the documenting of regional differences etc.

I have now finished adding all your re-dumped ROMs not already included in TOSEC, as well as marking all the newly identified bad/hacked images as such. I also took the opportunity to re-structure the whole ColecoVision hierarchy somewhat, as well as adding some new hacks and homebrews.

Ikrananka, I have added you as an author to the relevant TOSEC DATs. The new DATs will be in our next release.

I have also published a news post regarding your project and it's/your contribution on the frontpage of the TOSEC website: http://www.tosecdev.org/news/wip/100-work-in-progress-coleco-colecovision

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Thank you for this!

I am trying to use bluemsx as the emulator and it does not seem to want to run .bin files...... what roms do people use when using bluemsx for Colecovision? Or is there some setting to use to allow for .bin files to run? I'm confused.

Any help is very much appreciated : )

Thank you for this!

I am trying to use bluemsx as the emulator and it does not seem to want to run .bin files...... what roms do people use when using bluemsx for Colecovision? Or is there some setting to use to allow for .bin files to run? I'm confused.

Any help is very much appreciated : )

You can just rename the .bin files to .rom and they'll work.

• Like 1