IGNORED

CV ROM Update Project - Commercial Releases - v2.1 (Updated 13-Oct-2021)

Ikrananka

Unfortunately there is no standard covering filename extensions. I chose "bin" when naming these files because for me this most accurately describes the content of the files.

If you do wish to change the extension of all of the files to something like "rom" so that BlueMSX immediately recognizes it in it's insert rom dialog box then you can use a bulk file renaming utility.

Of course, in BlueMSX the easiest thing to do is in the Insert ROM dialog box simply select "All Files (*.*)" in "Files of type:" and it will display all files irrespective of their extension. Then just select a "bin" file and it will load and play normally.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought that cut over was "sometime during 1983." ;)

It is approximate because I honestly don't know for sure. The instruction book revision overlaps: some early 16K ROM carts had the 78214A guide while later ones had the 78214B version. Same with the original 24K ROM issue: some copies had an early 78214 manual, but most had the 78214A version.

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Adding two more cents that come from experience and dealing with a REAL Coleco/ADAM with REAL Cartridges that I bought way back in 84ish. I am old BTW.

To put on your radar.

Smurf Rescue, not talking about the undress Smurfette but talking about moving back and forth between screens can reset your system failure.

It has reset my coleco with garbage on the screen and with the ADAM it reset and made my printer go wild.

MR. Do's Castle, not necessarily a bug but may have more to do with not enough bytes for the score.
When my hands weren't doing other teenage things I was pretty good and the whole game scrambled when I scored too high, maybe when it should have turned over.

Destructor had a habit of freezing and crashing and that was one of my favorite games.

Black Jack and Poker on occasion would give me two of the same cards.

All of these games I am talking about are all North America, non CBS, non European.

A lot of these titles, all of my games as a matter of fact, I still have on DDP that I ripped from original Carts using Assembly Language and Smart Basic.
I may have Floppies but have no idea what is stored because although I kept the software and some other goodies I pitched my ADAM and Disk drives in the trash when I went into the military.
Now that I am back in the scene "quote" "quote" I picked up two ADAM'S, one broken DD Drives and One Never used and never will be.

Reading the pdf I do not see the BC Quest for Tires 2 fixes listed elsewhere on Atari Age.

The ROM dumps of BC's Quest for Tires II are NOT fixes. They are clean dumps of the US and Canadian carts which turned out to contain different ROMs.

Just to be clear, the objective of this project was to produce as clean a ROM set as possible, i.e. one that represented the contents of the PROMs in the carts. The only exceptions to this are (i) where I delete superfluous copies of a game's data that was simply added to an EPROM to fill its available space, (ii) to fix game breaking bugs (not "tricks") that have been identified, and (iii) in the case of Sector Alpha where there was a wiring error in the cart that prevented the complete original game ROM data from being accessible.

BTW...I hope you haven't been fixing tricks thinking they were bugs.

As stated above - nope - this is not the case.

Final thoughts because I am seeing that this page hasn't been updated in awhile.

No updates as there have been no new ROM dumps or information to add.

There are still a load of cart variants that I would like to dump (as documented in the CV Rom Dumping Project Database). If you have any of them then please let me know.

Thanks for the heads up.
I had the impression that you guys were going around fixing all the bugs in the games.

NOW I AM SUPER STOKED!!!

One of my all time favorite games has been Victory and I had no idea that there was more content than what was already there.
Other than a simple passage in the instruction manual that something like beware of the quarks or some deal.

I loaded the European version up and like wtf... all kinds of crap flying on the screen. I love it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I believe Meteoric Shower is overdumped by 4K. Meteoric Shower is included as the built-in game in the Dina 2-in-1. If you separate the game from the BIOS, which is 8K and remove the last 4K from the standalone ROM, the two files differ by exactly one byte. That byte is an ASCII 3, as in Copyright 1983 for the BIOS version, and 6 as in Copyright 1986 for the cartridge version.

• Like 2

I believe Meteoric Shower is overdumped by 4K. Meteoric Shower is included as the built-in game in the Dina 2-in-1. If you separate the game from the BIOS, which is 8K and remove the last 4K from the standalone ROM, the two files differ by exactly one byte. That byte is an ASCII 3, as in Copyright 1983 for the BIOS version, and 6 as in Copyright 1986 for the cartridge version.

Fantastic - thanks for the info. I'll look into this tomorrow.

• 2 months later...

Reading Coleco Nation #9 interview with Paul Jaquays states that Destructor was released at 54K yet the only versions I find are 32k.

Where is the disconnect?

No ColecoVision cartridge game broke the 32K barrier until CollectorVision released Mario Bros. using the MegaCart PCB. I think this was around 2008.

No ColecoVision cartridge game broke the 32K barrier until CollectorVision released Mario Bros. using the MegaCart PCB. I think this was around 2008.

I take your word and I would believe that too but he worked at Coleco and also said it shipped broken.

I just remember loving the game at the time and when I made my backup way back then it came out to 32k.

• 6 months later...
On 2/12/2019 at 5:38 PM, Great Hierophant said:

Okay, 9 months late but........

I'm incorporating this into an imminent update to the rom dumping project.  Just one correction to what you stated above, I believe you meant that the one byte difference was in fact the other way round to what you stated, i.e. that byte is an ASCII 6, as in Copyright 1986 for the Dina BIOS version, and 3 as in Copyright 1983 for the cartridge version.  Is that correct?

On 11/9/2019 at 4:49 PM, Ikrananka said:

Okay, 9 months late but........

I'm incorporating this into an imminent update to the rom dumping project.  Just one correction to what you stated above, I believe you meant that the one byte difference was in fact the other way round to what you stated, i.e. that byte is an ASCII 6, as in Copyright 1986 for the Dina BIOS version, and 3 as in Copyright 1983 for the cartridge version.  Is that correct?

Yes, I got it the wrong way around, the cartridge version has a 1983 copyright, the bios version has the 1986 copyright.

I'm pleased to announce that this project has been updated to v2.0.  Please see the first post and attached documentation for full details.

Some ROM files have changed, so could those webmasters who host this ROM set on their websites please update their sites accordingly.

Also, note that this package now includes a Phoenix-AtariMax ROM Set that is specifically designed to be copied to an SD card and used on a CollectorVision Phoenix console of an AtariMax Ultimate SD cartridge.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...