Ikrananka

CV ROM Update Project - Commercial Releases - v2.01

My Phoenix Collectorvision is on order (due to arrive any week now) and I just want to express my gratitude for all your hard work and care to preserve the legacy of these games making it possible for folks like me to experience them all over again. Can't wait for my Phoenix to arrive!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DaViD_Boulet said:

My Phoenix Collectorvision is on order (due to arrive any week now) and I just want to express my gratitude for all your hard work and care to preserve the legacy of these games making it possible for folks like me to experience them all over again. Can't wait for my Phoenix to arrive!!

Thank you 👍😀

Hello @Ikrananka,

I was looking at your "Wanted List" and I think I can contribute for Dr. Seuss. I own an original version distributed in Canada.

Attached are pictures along with a dump of my cart. However, the rom is identical to the version in your archive. So I guess it's the same as the US version.

If you need anything else, let me know.

Thanks.

Pitou!

PS: I also have a lot of other carts and can try to dump them. However, I'm not sure about the origin.

Seuss.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

Here is another batch.

All of them are the same, except for Frogger. I'm not seeing any information in the PDF. It seems that this one has 16k of data.

I did dump it twice to make sure.

Thanks.

Pitou!

Roms.zip

• Like 1

Thanks Pitou.  I'll have a look through the roms next week.  I did take a look at your Frogger dump and found that the last 4K is the same as the 4K prior to that.  I redumped my carts and found the same.  So, the game rom I have published for this project is correct at only 12K.  However, you've highlighted that I failed to add Frogger to my list of roms that duplicate the last 4K so I'll do that and upload the updated document.

One thing I did find is that after just now dumping all four of my Frogger carts I found that one of them has a single byte different to the others.  I've checked and it's not a difference in the graphics data so it must be a code or other data difference.  So, I'm looking for help from a programmer to help figure out what this difference is.

On 6/26/2021 at 1:11 PM, Pitou said:

I was looking at your "Wanted List" and I think I can contribute for Dr. Seuss. I own an original version distributed in Canada.

Attached are pictures along with a dump of my cart. However, the rom is identical to the version in your archive. So I guess it's the same as the US version.

PS: I also have a lot of other carts and can try to dump them. However, I'm not sure about the origin.

Thank you.  Yes, the Dr. Seuss rom is the same as I dumped so I can update my lists accordingly.  Very much appreciated.

On 6/26/2021 at 3:50 PM, Pitou said:

Hi,

Here is another batch.

All of them are the same, except for Frogger. I'm not seeing any information in the PDF. It seems that this one has 16k of data.

I did dump it twice to make sure.

Thanks.

Pitou!

Are these dumps all from Canadian releases?

Yes, these carts were bought in Canada for sure. However I don't have the original boxes to confirm.

Pitou!

On 6/27/2021 at 6:35 PM, Ikrananka said:

I did take a look at your Frogger dump and found that the last 4K is the same as the 4K prior to that.  I redumped my carts and found the same.  So, the game rom I have published for this project is correct at only 12K.  However, you've highlighted that I failed to add Frogger to my list of roms that duplicate the last 4K so I'll do that and upload the updated document.

Idle question: is there a known reason, technical or otherwise, to mirror chunks of ROM data like this, rather than merely fill unused portions with dummy values?

20 hours ago, mumbai said:

Idle question: is there a known reason, technical or otherwise, to mirror chunks of ROM data like this, rather than merely fill unused portions with dummy values?

I guess this might be a reason, if so:

Thanks to the help of AA member Pitou, I have update the project to v2.01 (see first post).

Pitou provided me with a large batch of cart dumps from Canadian cart releases as well as a few French SECAM releases.  These have been through a detailed verification and comparison against those already part of the rom update project and also against the wanted list.  My findings are below which in most cases indicates that the rom is the "same" as that already in the rom update project.  Four of the dumps allowed me to remove those releases from the wanted list.  Also the Canadian Miner 2049er dump allowed me to confirm that both versions of that game were not only released in the US but also in Canada.

• Bump 'n' Jump (Coleco Canada) => same
  • Destructor (Coleco Canada) => same (removed from wanted list)
  • Dr. Seuss Fix-Up the Mix-Up Puzzler (Coleco Canada) => same (removed from wanted list)
  • Evolution (Coleco Canada) => same
  • Frogger => same (rom project pdf updated to reflect that last 4K of the dump is a repeat of the prior 4K)
  • Gorf (CBS French SECAM) => same
  • Ken Uston BlackJack/Poker (Coleco Canada) => same
  • Looping (Coleco Canada) => same
  • Miner 2049er (Canadian) = same as later non-alternate version (rom project pdf updated)
  • Schtroumpfs (Smurf Rescue in Gargamel's Castle) (CBS French SECAM) => same 
  • Space Fury (Coleco Canada) = same
  • Tarzan (Coleco Canada) = same
  • Turbo (Coleco Canada) = same for both carts dumped (removed from wanted list)
  • Venture (Coleco Canada) = same (removed from wanted list)

Thanks again to Pitou for these dumps which were very much appreciated.

• Like 1