IGNORED

SIO2BT

TheMontezuma

I have to flash the current ROM on my Atari if I want the bluetooth to communacate properly?

This is only partly the truth.

It is recommended to use a BT compatible OS, but many games can be loaded with a runtime patching approach, as described in the manual.

Edited by TheMontezuma

Just for information for those that have already installed SIO2BT App.

The new update (1.20) includes a fix for a problem reported on HTC Wildfire S.

To be honest I have reused some code from the official google code examples related to handling Bluetooth connections.

And exactly this code seems not to work correctly on some smartphones.

Anyway I have done some re-factoring and hopefully made it working for all devices :)

In the meantime I also got questions how to get games on the smartphone.

I can recommend a web page from FANDAL:

http://a8.fandal.cz/

In order to unzip the games on the smartphone, you will need a file explorer.

Hier my recommendation is the Total Commander app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander

Could anybody please confirm if this link works for him?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3-191R-U_S1blpUTFBsRW1iRUE

Somebody has reported me that the link does not work and I would like to double check it.

• 2 weeks later...

In the meantime I got some PM questions, which I thought may be interesting for others:

> I think I will install it internally. I should mount a external switch to turn it off if need be?

> I was reading about how not to lose connection

Internal installation is a good idea. When you establish a bluetooth connection from your mobile phone to the BT module, you can power off the ATARI and you do not loose the connection. When you power it on again, the ATARI can immediately start loading games from the smartphone.

> or something like that or software on the bt can be erased?

Nothing will be erased, but if the bluetooth connection is not active (LED is blinking) and ATARI is writing data to a real floppy, data on the SIO bus can accidentally build a valid configuration string, which may recofingure the BT module.

That includes changing the name, changing the PIN code and changing the baud rate. The chance is very less, but it exists.

That's why I recommend to use the power switch and switch the BT module off whenever you use other SIO devices.

> So I need a certain file type to put into one or the 4 virtual drives the app has?

*.atr (atari disk images) or *.com, *.exe, *.xex (executable files)

> You can put 1 file per virtual disc?

Yes, you can put one disk per drive and the SWAP button allows quick changing.

Of course you can change disk to disk-drive assignment at any time.

• 1 month later...

Cant wait to try this out!

Hi Jinks,

why don't you share your SIO2BT experience?

By the way, I have good news for you and for those who use SIO2BT with Stock OS.

At the moment you mount a special loader (XL_XE_XEGS.atr) as D1 and a game to be loaded as D2.

The loader copies the OS ROM to RAM, modifies SIO procedure and loads the game from D2.

My experience shows that 70% games can be loaded this way.

XXL is going to release a new small XBIOS loader (for Bluetooth) that will do the same + it will handle loading games that use RAM behind ROM!

Compability factor will be much higher. It is still under test, but the first results are very promising.

Stay tuned :)

Regards

Montezuma

Wow! Thats great news!

I have to say that right now on my 64kb 600xl it works almost flawless on any 50kb xex file and smaller.

I downloaded the app on android play store. Then I plugged in the blue tooth module into the sio ports and with the help of Montezuma I am able to play all sorts of games easily. ( he also has an excellent easy to understand manual as well in pdf form)

The kit gives you everything you need to mount it internally if you like.

Its great to try out demos and games from forum members. I tap download on my phone. click on the atari. blue tooth connects in less than 5 seconds on the self test screen then I put the patch file in drive 1 and a game in 2(there are 4 virtual drives) and then hit reset and it loads up. Currently like I was saying the xex files are working good. Go to fandals site for those(thanks fandal!) and a big thank you to Montezuma for creating this amazing product!

I recently got some questions and decided to post the answers here in forum, too.

> Why do I need to do the installation (external o internal) described in the manual? Isn't the SIO2BT. device enough?
> The same goes for getting a bluetooth transceiver,capacitor, power switch. etc. I thought I just needed to plug the
> SIO2BT into my Atari and it was ready for communicating via bluetooth device (Android Phone, PC, etc.) Is this so?

Maybe a little bit confusing is what I call SIO2BT: the BT Module (hardware for ATARI) and the Android App (software for a smartphone).
What you need is a small hardware module (which you can either connect externally or internally to ATARI), an Android smartphone with the App (or a PC with the BT dongle).

1) If you decide to connect the BT module externally, it fits into a SIO Plug, but you would need to mechanically adapt the plug.
You do not need any capacitor, power switch and diodes in this case (only the bluetooth transceiver itself).
The advantage is that you may reuse it with several ATARI computers.
The disadvantage is that you need to establish the bluetooth connection each time when you power on your ATARI.

2) If you decide to connect the BT module internally, you need all electronic parts mentioned above.
The advantage is that an established bluetooth connection remains active even if you power off your ATARI.

In both cases, you will achieve the best results if you have an OS switch (like Ultimate 1MB).
If you don't, you can stil load most of the games / demos (there is a small loader available in the project files).

> Also, can we already order SIO2BT? What'd be the price including shipping to Sydney?

Yes, if you are interested, you can send me 25 USD + 7 USD (shipping costs world wide with tracking).

You will get the BT module and everything required for connecting the BT module internally, but if you have a SIO plug you can of course make a bluetooth dongle for your ATARI (like you see it on my photos).
Just send me a private message with your shipping address and I will send you my PAYPAL address.

Merry Christmas
Montezuma

Download link for an app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.atari.montezuma.sio2bt

Download link for documentation and other software.

Edited by TheMontezuma

Hello Together,

I have an update relevant for SIO2BT users with original ATARI OS.

The link is the same:

The update includes:

- 4 additional loaders (600XL_SWAP.atr, 1200XL(a)_SWAP.atr, 1200XL(b)_SWAP.atr, XL_XE_XEGS_SWAP.atr)

- "XBIOS for bluetooth" loader

- small update of the manual (related to these loaders)

Mount one of the loaders with "SWAP" in the name (depending on your Atari) as D1 and a game to be loaded as D2.

When a loader is executed, the screen color changes to dark blue.

Now swap the disks on the Smartphone, so the game to be loaded is mounted as D1 and press any key on the ATARI to continue.

However the best improvement gives the XBIOS loader from XXL.

It uses its own SIO routine, which has timing compatible with bluetooth and let you load even games using RAM behind OS :)

Regards

Montezuma

P.S.

I encourage everybody to use a modified OS with SIO2BT.

A new possibility is provided by SYS-CHECK II:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233201-orders-for-sys-check-ii-pcb-w-parts-only-accepted/

It can be used to replace an original OS without modifing your ATARI :)

Edited by TheMontezuma
  • Like 1

The xbois d1 game d2. Brings up another loader screen. I then move my game to d1 on my phone. it tells you to press shift and the the drive number you want to use. It will highlight the game on your tv then I press on that number without hitting shift in the list and it loads games that need extra ram. Pretty solid and almost never crashes.

Was playing Master of the lamp an old fav from grade 4(on the c64 at school) I fought a kid to play it after school we had to book a 1/2 hour slot after school.

I had the time booked and he was sitting on the computer chair I kicked the legs out from the chair his head smacked the floor he bawled and I got to load the genie game.

Worst part was 1/3 of the computer time on the c64 was disc loading.. what a pos.

The xbois d1 game d2. Brings up another loader screen. I then move my game to d1 on my phone. it tells you to press shift and the the drive number you want to use. It will highlight the game on your tv then I press on that number without hitting shift in the list and it loads games that need extra ram. Pretty solid and almost never crashes.

You do not need actually to swap disks when using the XBIOS loader.

It shows initially the content of D2 and you may select directly a game to be loaded (from D2) by pressing a numeric key (without SHIFT).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Marcin, I am trying to test the SIO2BT with a 65XE. I connected the BT module to the 65XE externally, using the cable provided by you. I downloaded the SIO2BT app to my Samsung Galaxy SII and mounted the XL_XE_XEGS.ATR to D1:, and a DOS2.5 disk image to D2: of SIO2BT app. The module is powered and paired to my smartphone and ready to communicate.

When I try to boot the 65XE, I hear the SIO bleeps and SIO2BT app keeps switching between disks D1: and D2: giving me "BOOT ERROR" s on the monitor. I tried to change the "write delay" value but it doesn't make any difference. This particular 65XE is 100% stock.

I wonder if the BT module is still configured for 19,000bps, is there an easy way to verify that without going through the serial cable procedure. If i had to reconfigure the BT module, what is the exact procedure?

Thanks