IGNORED

Need help with Rogue Clone III on GS

Charlie_

I've tried in vain to understand this, I am hoping someone familiar with this stuff can help me out.

I want to play Rogue Clone III for the GS here: http://macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=10710

Inside the .GZ archive is a .BSQ file. I was told it needs to be converted to SCIIBIN and then extracted.

I tried to do this on my GS all morning and I have no idea what I am doing...

Can someone please get this game on an 800K disk image for me? So that I can simply use ADTPro to write the image and then be able to use the game.

Thanks So much.

Good gravy, that couldn't possibly have been more obscurely packaged. Requires a pile of ancient tools to decode/unpack/change filetypes of. If you were online via modem in 1996, it would probably all have been on your desktop and would have made more sense. To make matters worse... it was set up as an MPW shell app. Sheesh.

Try this:

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/gs/games/adventure/RogueIII.po

It requires to be run from GSOS (or at least from ProDOS 16), making it tougher to pack on a single floppy disk. But you should be able to just double-click on the ROGUE app from the directory display within GSOS.

• Like 2

Good gravy, that couldn't possibly have been more obscurely packaged. Requires a pile of ancient tools to decode/unpack/change filetypes of. If you were online via modem in 1996, it would probably all have been on your desktop and would have made more sense. To make matters worse... it was set up as an MPW shell app. Sheesh.

Try this:

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/gs/games/adventure/RogueIII.po

It requires to be run from GSOS (or at least from ProDOS 16), making it tougher to pack on a single floppy disk. But you should be able to just double-click on the ROGUE app from the directory display within GSOS.

Thank you. 100 times, Thank you.

I found you have to copy it to a ram disk and keep the system 6 disk in the drive. Unlike other games that ask to swap for the system disk when it needs it , this game doesn't and even though it plays, there is a lot of cycling through the drives, like it is looking for something, and I noticed when I died it was stuck at "can't lock the high score file" over and over.

From the Ram disk though all is great, just have to remember to copy the save game file over to the Rogue floppy before shutting the IIgs off. :)

Ok, here is what I found out. The game needs to be run under System 5.

It works in System 6, but you can't load a game (maybe there are more troubles too, buts that's what I found)

In Prodos16 1.3 the game will not launch. In Prodos16 1.6 it launches but locks up after you enter a name for your character.

So, System 5 it is.

Here is a bootable disk image of Rogue Clone III. I took the system disk from Where in the World in Carmen Sandiego, because it has a few hundred Kb free, and put the Rogue III files on it.

No matter what OS or Ram Disk I was using the game would crash immediately or eventually after loading a game. So far as I've played it seems to work from this boot disk and have no issues at all. So I guess this is the way to play it. I also put an options file in the SYSTEM folder that sets "mousetext" on and also enables the arrow keys for movement.

Thanks again david__Schmidt for getting the files out of that archive!

**Edit. I take that back about loading / saving. It still seems sometimes after loading a game it will crash when climbing down to the next level.

I think the game is just buggy with the load/save feature.

Rogue Clone III.zip

Edited by Official Ninja