IGNORED

Self Centering Joystick Idea

PSW

I've been pondering ways to modify an original 5200 joystick so as to be self centering, and would like to know if anyone has tried using a conical spring under the boot (or without the boot). The picture shows the type of spring I'm talking about:

41TEjjiS6ZL._AA160_.jpg

I've searched the forums but haven't found any mention of doing this, so my question is has anyone attempted this before? For those of you that are mechanically inclined, could you comment on any pitfalls you may see with this design. The springs are rather expensive, 10 springs for $20 bucks from amazon, and I can see burning through quite a few until I get the right spring tension, thickness, height, and base width. Any comments or suggestions?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have had this controller boot for a 5200 for several years. I just thought it was a variation I had not seen before.

Is it familiar to anyone?

It acts like a spring.

rubber spring

The controller in the video has no pots, so there is no resistance. I will put it on a working controller tomorrow and give it a try.

http://youtu.be/jelKxXMhPR8

There is a part number on the bottom: C021084-4; the standard one I have is: C021084-3

Edited by Geotrick
  • Like 1

I am not sure how you're applying the rubber band. I just tried a broccoli rubber band which is kind of thick. It just stayed in the direction I was pushing.

I was thinking that a new controller boot could be designed. With a higher boot with some bridging across the top and maybe arcs following underneath. This would be molded into the boot. The bridges would push back to help over come the pot resistance.

Controller boot

Edited by Geotrick

Here ya go.. I used two, but if you have a looong thick band then it works better. A little oil at the crossing makes the return smoother and less cumbersome. It works to a degree..

DSCF4380.jpg

DSCF4383.jpg

DSCF4391.jpg

..I got this idea from a joystick someone was selling on eBay some time ago. They said that the joystick didn't spring back anymore so they used rubber bands (I think it was a Tandy TRS-80 joystick with a broken bottom switch).

• Like 1

Here ya go.. I used two, but if you have a looong thick band then it works better. A little oil at the crossing makes the return smoother and less cumbersome. It works to a degree..

DSCF4380.jpg

DSCF4383.jpg

DSCF4391.jpg

..I got this idea from a joystick someone was selling on eBay some time ago. They said that the joystick didn't spring back anymore so they used rubber bands (I think it was a Tandy TRS-80 joystick with a broken bottom switch).

:idea::idea::idea::idea::idea::idea:

I put rubber band INSIDE controller

K5VbbQu.jpg

was a little tricky but shot a good few pics ;)

http://imgur.com/a/nx3it

also needed to figure out how to remove handle

it isn't prefect but hopefully getting there .... centers a bit better than before, waiting to see how that spring will work .... possibly all 3 will make it better

was hoping to find a way for the pots to self-center as a Vectrex controller has

Edited by chas10e

my twin nephews had a box of neoprene rubber bands or something like that ... if I could find my flashlight I'd try the conical spring under there as well

thinking maybe something from Dollar General or the like ... the trick seems to be keeping everything UNDER the actuator plates

what I like so far is no destruction to the original ;)

found a spring & didn't have best results, it works ok but what I discovered ...

• very little room for a spring between the pots , up & down movement may loosen the pots & need to be fully seated
  • the coil of the spring needed to be twisted so pot wouldn't interfere with shaft when pushed up & down
  • hot melt glue to keep spring in place when moving shaft left & right

pics here:

http://imgur.com/a/1lkT2

• there are a couple different boot designs ( I only have 2 controllers )
  • originally the boot is to get it to center but the boot puckers at times

I'll be pulling that spring out with the glue & keeping the rubber band after awhile

what I would LIKE to find are the pots for the Vectrex controller that self center anyone have a supplier for these ?

pretty sure THAT's what they used on this prototype http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/5200/5200joy.html

The design must have been a way to blend the paddle controllers with joysticks for games like Centipede. I really like the system, too. Like the Jaguar, it just needed more controller options for the consumer. I've had a LOT of these stop working on me. I pawned my last 5200 years ago. I still have several games for it and often play the XE or emulate systems for those rare games that were actually different than the computer counterparts. The joystick was left over from a lot and I was using it to demonstrate the idea from long ago. The band on the inside seems to look like it would function better.

either the rubber band alone OR the spring alone but not both

The pots are just too stiff. If they could be adjusted to lower the resistance in movement.

I like your rubber band underneath. If you notched the backside of the risers you go around, you should be able to keep it from creeping up.

LJRIn6q.jpg

the rubber band hasn't creeped up , I think the risers clamp flush with top of controller

also the square actuator adapter keeps rubber band pushed down

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

with the spring installed , I discovered the rubber band causes the coils for the spring to bind

I removed rubber band & it works better

1YNsupu.jpg

I think if I remove the boot from the top of the controller the spring alone would be the better option

can't quite figure out how to unclip retaining ring for boot ( I don't want to destroy it in the even I want to put it back)

Edited by chas10e

• 3 weeks later...

Ditch the stock joystick and mount one of these on top somehow? :P

thumbstick-knob.jpg

What I would love to see is a new 5200 gamepad with a thumbstick nub on it. If someone could pad-hack a PS2 controller for the left analog thumbstick to controll the movement, and the four shoulder buttons or the pad on the right for action buttons, with a pass-through for the numeric pad, that would be awesome. The horrible joysticks are the main reason why I've completely avoided the 5200 system.

thumbstick-knob.jpg

What I would love to see is a new 5200 gamepad with a thumbstick nub on it. If someone could pad-hack a PS2 controller for the left analog thumbstick to controll the movement, and the four shoulder buttons or the pad on the right for action buttons, with a pass-through for the numeric pad, that would be awesome. The horrible joysticks are the main reason why I've completely avoided the 5200 system.

I mounted a PS 2 thumb stick onto the disc for an Intellivision controller. Makes your thumb last much longer. Now if I could only figure something out for the crappy side buttons.

• 4 weeks later...

thumbstick-knob.jpg

Even better…mod a Jaguar JagPad with that and then use an adapter - people have built them - for use with the 5200.

I had toyed with the idea of replacing the joystick mechanism with a small industrial analog stick when I had my 5200. They seem to be readily available online. Imagine replacing the stock stick with a self-centering analog stick that looks like this...

Resistive_Joystick_Image.jpg

Edited by ToddUGA
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Why do you want the stick to center exactly? None of the analog games would be better with centering.

Kaboom - not better

Star Wars - centering bad

Super Breakout - stay where I put you, paddle

Centipede - track balls don't self center

Missile Command - don't want the resistance of centering

Do you want this behavior only for the "digital" games? Then use a digital controller.

I realized that self centering was not desirable for me when I got an old PC joystick out of storage and started using it. You need a fairly simple adapter, but it has the ability to switch the self centering off. I always want it OFF for the analog games. For the digital games, the centering is useful, but I just use a digital controller for that.

This is the kind I'm talking about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281307966422

• Like 2