IGNORED

Should I get a PS Vita?

Well the big news in the Vita hacking realm is that one of the main hackers said to apply for a Vita Game Developer and Publishing License before they end the program this month. I'm guessing there's going to be some hack that uses that in the future, but people are saying that you can't use the kit with the PSTV anyway so it's a moot point to me.

If $40 isn't the price going forward, then it will be sooner or later. PSTV is tanking pretty hard since regular Vita sales aren't exactly on fire. I figure I'll be able to get one cheap when the time comes. Either that or get one free with a PS4 when I buy one. :)

Ok I've been getting asked by more than one person about the PSP TV hookup vs the VitaTV hookup. I compared a PSP slim hookup with component vs a VitaTV hookup using HDMI on a 42" 1080p TV.

The PSP slim does not display the game in full screen, it may be smaller but its less pixelated:

psptotv.JPG

The VitaTV displays PSP games in full screen but with obviously more pixelation. My photo below doesn't really show much pixelation but its definitely there:

vitatotv.JPG

If you dont want to display games full screen you can adjust the "display area" under settings as well as force 720p etc kind of like what you do in emulators:

vita%20display%20settings.JPG

As I've said, I love this thing cause it plays the games I want it to play and it displays them well. There's a lot of reasons to be disappointed with it, I totally understand and feel that pain too. But if you have one and it plays all those games you have its pretty damn sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a rosy view of the Vita to be honest. I've had one for about a year now and I find myself with mixed thoughts. The notion that developers can just take PS3 games and plop them on the system is optimistic but inaccurate, as demonstrated by Borderlands 2. Even PS2 games seem to be a handful for it, if collections like God of War and Jak and Daxter are any indication.

In my opinion, the Vita is stuck in a situation where it's too powerful to compete with the 3DS on price, yet not enough to be the portable PS3 that Sony had hoped it would be. They really needed to design it with more reasonable expectations.

If $40 isn't the price going forward, then it will be sooner or later. PSTV is tanking pretty hard since regular Vita sales aren't exactly on fire. I figure I'll be able to get one cheap when the time comes. Either that or get one free with a PS4 when I buy one. :)

Hardly a surprise when it's basically a vita without a screen that doesn't play most vita games - mostly because it doesn't have the touch screens. (And thus why they changed the name before launch from VitaTV to PSTV, I'm sure they saw the lawsuits a mile away.)

• 3 weeks later...

If any of you goobers want the new native homebrew exploit for the vita, this is your last chance. Please note, you cant pirate games with it, and it requires the psm dev app, which is currently only accessible through this javascript exploit. Move while you can, this javascript exploit will likely be disabled by Sony before long.

http://yifan.lu/2015/06/15/how-to-register-and-download-for-psm/

The Vita is a machine I've been thinking about. I love real handhelds like the Game Gear and the Lynx (big, bulky, loud booming speaker sound). Ever since the GBA, handheld manufacturers seem to have been obsessed with making handhelds as small and as quiet as possible and the Vita seems like a move away from that trend.

The main thing that puts me off is that you're more or less dependent on the Playstation Store for software and once Sony drops support you can't buy any more games. I would feel more comfortable if there was ongoing support from third party digital retailers like Steam and GOG.

Also, for the money, the game library is very limited. Sure, there are plenty of Indie games but my Linux desktop has already got that covered.