Okay, what's NEXT on the horizon?

Omega-TI

- load interrupt switch mod

- internal speaker mod

- Atari joystick cable

Thanks for the ideas but...

- I'd never use a load interrupt switch

- I have no need for an internal speaker mod

- I have a joystick adapter for my Wico and my home made joystick does not require one

I was kind of hoping for something that could expand it's capabilities. I am still keeping an eye out for that web browser for the TI too, but have seen no new activity on that front.

Thanks for the ideas but...

- I'd never use a load interrupt switch

- I have no need for an internal speaker mod

- I have a joystick adapter for my Wico and my home made joystick does not require one

I was kind of hoping for something that could expand it's capabilities. I am still keeping an eye out for that web browser for the TI too, but have seen no new activity on that front.

well, i understand that was his own projects ;)

• Like 1

I think this is project we should revisit and work on.

If Atari can do it with 1megabyte cartridge and 8bits, we must be able to do it better all tho it will need some hardware for ram and program storage, can't see it be done on 32k stock.

I see several issue that would have to be addressed to get a GUI desktop like the one on the Atari.

extended memory above the standard 32k on the TI99 is expensive (you have to first get a PEB) and it's hard to get.

currently there is no standard for a mouse for the TI99.

for a GUI desktop to be useful you really need some form a mass storage, again expensive on the TI99 and hard to get.

I see several issue that would have to be addressed to get a GUI desktop like the one on the Atari.

extended memory above the standard 32k on the TI99 is expensive (you have to first get a PEB) and it's hard to get.

for a GUI desktop to be useful you really need some form a mass storage, again expensive on the TI99 and hard to get.

I think this project could be done using the NanoPEB with a newer DSR, and memory upgrade.

You got the serial port to allow for old/style serial mouse to work very nice.

You got the ram, yeah it is only 32K, but maybe with a little home-built mod you could install a 128k chip.

And you have mass storage via compact flash 2gb card, just needs a better DSR to allow usage of it like hdd or copy-program-banks into ram via a DSR call, etc.

I think this is project we should revisit and work on.

If Atari can do it with 1megabyte cartridge and 8bits, we must be able to do it better all tho it will need some hardware for ram and program storage, can't see it be done on 32k stock.

I have long been an advocate for GEOS on the TI, I just lack the know-how to program it myself. It should be doable in 32k.

Edited by OLD CS1

You got the serial port to allow for old/style serial mouse to work very nice.

And you have mass storage via compact flash 2gb card, just needs a better DSR to allow usage of it like hdd or copy-program-banks into ram via a DSR call, etc.

hard to get a nanoPEB these days. one idea I had was adapting a Atari ST mouse which used the joystick port of the ST. have to get +5 to the thing somehow.

I wondered if the DSR in the CF7 could be redone to see a section of the CF as a HD. would come in handy.

hard to get a nanoPEB these days. one idea I had was adapting a Atari ST mouse which used the joystick port of the ST. have to get +5 to the thing somehow.

I wondered if the DSR in the CF7 could be redone to see a section of the CF as a HD. would come in handy.

One of things I been tooling around with writing a better DSR for the CF7+ and NanoPEB's, I already modded one of my to use battery-backup ram for dsr so I can change it more.

But currently my TI99 consoles all have problems with bad video ram, I need either to ship down a new console from my storage locker in canada, or get an F18A shipped here to DR.

Design by committee usually fails miserably; I like the way Matthew did it with his F18A, he just went ahead using his best judgement, now it *IS* the standard. Atari Age has the largest grouping of TI users on the planet, so if it's available many of us will end up popping for it.

The best thing about a small user base, with all the systems coming out of attics and basements that have been in storage for years means that those of us who actually want an item can usually find it. There are lot's of consoles, many P-Boxes and more cartridges than anyone knows what to do with. Sure there are some very rare items, but I'd much rather buy a new and supported item that will BECOME the new latter-day standard due to it's availability.

If you build it, we will come.

• Like 2

Nah. I started with GEOS on the 64 with a single floppy drive before I had TWO floppies. Even with GEOS 128 I have only ever had floppies, though to be fair I do have a 1581 3.5" drive which holds 800k.

• Like 2

Nah. I started with GEOS on the 64 with a single floppy drive before I had TWO floppies. Even with GEOS 128 I have only ever had floppies, though to be fair I do have a 1581 3.5" drive which holds 800k.

I agree, considering how small the average TI program is, one can have more than a couple of programs on a single disk. Many of us already have two or more drives, as referenced << HERE >> and not just the original limited 90K drives either. Even with an original unmodified TI FDC, you can run up to three 180K drives for a total of 540K. With the easily obtainable 80 track modification for the TI FDC one can push that to 720K using just two half-height drives in the P-Box, which is close to that 800K amount talked about on the Atari. A version compatible with the Nano-PEB would have 1.2M available. Now, if this GUI was on one of these fancy new mega cartridges, it would use NONE of that disk storage space, except for the individual users desktop data and system configuration information.

There are also other storage methods already available and in use on peoples TI's which a GUI system could exploit like HD's or the inexpensive "HDX" modification for the TI RS-232 that can be obtained through Greg. One could get the GUI cart first, and then expand their system slowly over time as needed or as hobby finances permit. You can say a lot about the TI, but one thing is certain, it begs to be expanded, and oh there are so many different ways to do it too!

I envision the mouse routines being built into this GUI as part of the program itself, so whatever someone came up with, there would be others supplying the hardware, if necessary.

Now if a GUI became available, it would probably start a whole new programming frenzy with people making new modules and programs that worked with the new environment. Are we ready for, and could we handle all that fun and excitement? Why it would be a veritable "TI Renaissance"! (Okay, I laid it on a little thick, but you get my point.)

Using the 192K video of the 9958 and a Serial Mouse pluse the SAMS it might be possible to do this in GROM combined with Assembly using GROM DSR to access the Mouse.

It is a project I have some work done on already. SAMS and GROM is the only place with enough storage to pull this off, and of course you need better VDP of the 9958 or 9938 as 9901 sucks with only 16K.

Using the 192K video of the 9958 and a Serial Mouse pluse the SAMS it might be possible to do this in GROM combined with Assembly using GROM DSR to access the Mouse.

I can envision a future revision morphing into something like you suggest and that would indeed be cool with supporting "add-in" modules to extend it's capabilities, but at first, at least to get a project like this off the ground, it would have to be usable to a wider audience. At present most people are running either 9918's or F18A's and Rasmus has shown us some incredible things can be done with just a "Plain Jane 9918".

I do not pretend to know a tenth of what you know about the inner workings of the TI, but from what limited knowledge I do have, I see this as "DOABLE" now on equipment that people already have. I'm with RobertLM78 on this.... +1