IGNORED

MyIDE II and Archon images

Mr SQL

Picked up an awesome MyIDE II for my awesome free Atari 800XL recently and I figured I have the latest BIOS since I got it with a 4MB CF card; clicking a couple of different Archon images from the main menu doesn't load the game though; one looks like it's for the XEGS and the other looks like a disk image.

What's the secret to loading these kind of files with the device? :)

Thank you Sijmen! I will check if my BIOS revision matches :)

I did take a look at the ATARIMAX forum but saw posts about using multiple loaders besides the default and wasn't sure how to invoke them or if that was the issue; also saw posts about XEGS images being different than XL ones too - cool if I can just click on the image with the latest BIOS rev.

• 5 years later...
8 hours ago, Mr SQL said:

Six years later I did a search for this again, found Mr Atari's advice and finally visited the AtariMax forums and I'm playing Archon on my 800XL :)

Gameplay is even better than the c64... 

IMHO the C64 with its fixed colors totally fails to convey the light-dark-cycling aspect that is core to Archon gameplay. Don't know about the rest of gameplay but this is so crucial to the game feeling that Archon on the C64 never felt "right" to me. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, slx said:

IMHO the C64 with its fixed colors totally fails to convey the light-dark-cycling aspect that is core to Archon gameplay. Don't know about the rest of gameplay but this is so crucial to the game feeling that Archon on the C64 never felt "right" to me. 

Yes totally agree - I played a few rounds last night and this morning, also something about the missiles, they feel more like missiles in the Atari version. Gauntlet was also better than the C64 renditions for similar reasons. I love having both versions of them though and the SID gets the treasure room melody right. 

6 hours ago, Rybags said:

Archon II is where it's at.  The C64 received a couple of sequels (homebrew?) but they didn't really hit the mark either.

I had the atr version of Archon II working without needing the R16 recoding, but I didn't care for this sequel as much on either the Atari or the C64; the original Archon feels more like the Star Wars Chess game the Wookie played with C3P0 on the Millenium Falcon.  I'd like to check out the other Archon sequels and homebrews too if someone has a link for them :)