IGNORED

C64 power supply pinout. Which is correct?

It would be nice to find a standard diagram of the C64 power supply pinout, but there seems to be a 50/50 take on it. This is silly! There can only be one way. I don't want to have to pull my computer apart just to see!

Here's two opposing examples:

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/Commodore_C64_Power_Supply

http://www.hardwarebook.info/C64_Power_Supply

As Leonard Cohen once sang "One of us cannot be wrong"...

Edited by danny_galaga

Oh, maybe it doesn't matter. Both tables say pin 4 is either not connected, or 5+. Which might mean it doesn't matter which way you connect it!

And to further that, this wiki explains quite well, and their pinout is unambiguous- it is clearly looking at the female end, and is the way I've just soldered mine:
Fingers crossed!
Edited by danny_galaga

If you look at the 2 links you provided. You notice one says looking at computer side. The other is looking at the connector.

both have the same inputs on the same pins. All you have to do is look at the plug you got. It should have nunbers near the pins.

great to see you got it working.

Seob, colour me simple but all I can see with both of those two links is '7 PIN DIN 'C' FEMALE at the computer.' yet the diagrams are mirror image!

Rybags. Done! I used this line of code to get a sound out of it, since I have no carts or tapes:

0 POKE54296,15:POKE54296,0:GOTO 0

If you want some more meaningful sound except for switching the volume register between zero and max voulme, try these commands:

POKE 54296,15:POKE 54278,249:POKE 54273,100:POKE 54276,33

Change the frequency with 54273 (and 54272 to fine tune) and when you're fed up with the sound, you can POKE 54276,32 to let it ring off and then POKE 54296,0 to silence the volume register.

Even better, I went to my friends place and borrowed some carts and tapes. I ended up buying a datasette off ebay. One of the tape games loaded, so the title screen had some SID 'Flight of the Valkeries' :-D . So a workout for the 9V line with both SID and tape drive. My C64 is well and truly alive!

I made a quick and dirty guide to what I did here:

http://dannygalaga.com/c64.html

Because I found I had to wade through 20 pages of BS in a half dozen threads in as many different forums to find out how simple it is!

• Like 1

PSU alternatives for the C64 are, for some reason, a controversial subject. The method you used is definitely the easiest. I converted some NOS C128D PSUs to run mine. It's a much bulkier solution, but I'm very happy with it. :)

Great job!

Heather

Edited by SkydivinGirl
  • Like 1

PSU alternatives for the C64 are, for some reason, a controversial subject. The method you used is definitely the easiest. I converted some NOS C128D PSUs to run mine. It's a much bulkier solution, but I'm very happy with it. :)

Great job!

Heather

Tell me about it! I don't understand why. It made me apprehensive about doing this because I thought there must be something I'm not getting. Coming from a PAL region, people are always swapping around PSU's to get their classic NTSC/NTSJ consoles going. It's not like there is a special 'Nintendo' electricity or something! Right voltage, right polarity. Job done!

Edited by danny_galaga

• 11 months later...

Eh.. that schematic probably contains a typo. To the right it should say 5V 7.5W which equals a current of 1.5A. Besides that is a bit on the low side, at least here in Europe Commodore later on upped their PSUs to output first 1.6A and with the C64C even 1.7A on the 5V line.

Well, crossing the fingers worked! No smoke (",)

Here's the adapter I made. It allows me to use a 2Amp USB wall wart and a SNES power supply (PAL SNES supplies are 9VAC, 1.3Amp)

Do not use USB wall warts as, to my opinion, their ripple is way too high. The Commodore 64 will work but you will sensibly reduce the durability of its ICs.

Cheers,

Oge

• 3 weeks later...

Oh hey buddy! We seem to be following each other around! I started the threads on Lemon when I saw Oge's comment and then couldn't find it again (I forgot I had posted on Atariage).

Oh, and just read that link. If I ever decide to overclock my C64 I'll bear it in mind :grin:

Edited by danny_galaga

danny_galaga wrote:

> If I ever decide to overclock my C64 I'll bear it in mind :grin:

I'm glad that Ray Carlsen has well-controlled the ripple/noise on his Commodore universal power supply. He sent me an e-mail message last year with oscilloscope images of his power supply under load when compared to a different, aftermarket p.s. under load. His p.s. had a very smooth, clean output while the other p.s. had a very spiky, noisy output (which ranged from a too low 4.9 volts up to a too high 5.3 volts at times). So, whatever power-hungry device I use -- whether it is the classic Super Snapshot, a Commodore 17xx ram expander, the Turbomaster CPU 4 MHz. accelerator, or the CMD SuperCPU 20 MHz. accelerator -- I can feel assured that my Commodore computer is getting plenty of clean power when I use Ray's p.s..

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Edited by RobertB
  • Like 1

danny_galaga wrote:

> If I ever decide to overclock my C64 I'll bear it in mind :grin:

I'm glad that Ray Carlsen has well-controlled the ripple/noise on his Commodore universal power supply. He sent me an e-mail message last year with oscilloscope images of his power supply under load when compared to a different, aftermarket p.s. under load. His p.s. had a very smooth, clean output while the other p.s. had a very spiky, noisy output (which ranged from a too low 4.9 volts up to a too high 5.3 volts at times). So, whatever power-hungry device I use -- whether it is the classic Super Snapshot, a Commodore 17xx ram expander, the Turbomaster CPU 4 MHz. accelerator, or the CMD SuperCPU 20 MHz. accelerator -- I can feel assured that my Commodore computer is getting plenty of clean power when I use Ray's p.s..

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

I think Ray Carlsen's power supplies may be the best on the market. I am still using a 1764 PSU for my C-64, and it delivers plenty of clean power for all of my extras. It's a shame so few of them exist. I hope that Jim Brain can get his C-64 PSU project going soon....

• 4 years later...
2 hours ago, hueyjones70 said:

What would happen if someone tried to power an Atari XL with a C64 power supply.

1. Try it
  2. Post video on YouTube
  3. ...
  4. Profit!

Seriously, though, seeing as how the XL expects 5V and ground on the top two pins, I am sure the 9V AC from the Commodore 64 PSU will not do good things.

• Like 1