IGNORED

Tricky Tutorials

Savetz

Atariarchives.org has received permission to put Tricky Tutorials (a series of programming tutorials for the Atari 8-bit) online, but we don't have a complete set of them. I'd like to buy or borrow these little pamphlets (and the disks that accompany them) so we can scan them and put the online. If you have any TT materials, please contact me at www.savetz.com/contact/

Thanks

Kevin

I always wanted to get these programs back then for my 800XL. Sorry I can't help but I will look forward to finally seeing them after all these years.

Atariarchives is a great website. I wish had some of those books back when I was attempting to write games in Atari BASIC. :D

• 5 years later...
Atariarchives.org has received permission to put Tricky Tutorials (a series of programming tutorials for the Atari 8-bit) online, but we don't have a complete set of them. I'd like to buy or borrow these little pamphlets (and the disks that accompany them) so we can scan them and put the online. If you have any TT materials, please contact me at www.savetz.com/contact/

Thanks

Kevin

It looks like these never made it to the archive site... Here are the first six in PDF format if anyone is interested (I have not converted the programs yet):

http://www.strikequick.com/Tricky%20Tutorials%201-6.pdf

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Shortly after they ebay auction ended, I was contacted by someone who appeared to be the author/programmer. I have no reason to think it was not really him. He asked if I had any of his other work for Atari/C64/Vic20. He indicated that he'd lost most of it over the years. His name is Robin Sherer and his contributions to Antic are here: http://www.atarimagazines.com/index/index....r&mag=antic ...

Does anyone else know anything about the guy. It'd be nice to be able to help him find his stuff.

• 2 years later...

Bump...

It appears several programs in the series are still missing. Any help in getting working disk versions - even cracked / unverified - of the following titles would be great!

Published by Santa Cruz Educational Software

Tricky Tutorial No. 1 - Display Lists

Tricky Tutorial No. 2 - Horizontal and Vertical Scrolling

Tricky Tutorial No. 3 - Page Flipping

Tricky Tutorial No. 5 - Player Missile Graphics

Tricky Tutorial No. 6 - Sound and Music

Tricky Tutorial No. 7 - DOS Utilities (not sure whether this program was released by Santa Cruz Educational Software, the company changed its name something like a month after it was announced)

Published by Educational Software / Educational Software, Inc.

Tricky Tutorial No. 3 - Page Flipping

Tricky Tutorial No. 4 - Basics of Animation

Tricky Tutorial No. 13 - Basic Programming Tools

Tricky Tutorial No. 15 - Fancy Fonts

Thanks in advance for any help!

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Bump...

It appears several programs in the series are still missing. Any help in getting working disk versions - even cracked / unverified - of the following titles would be great!

. . .

Tricky Tutorial No. 6 - Sound and Music

. . .

Are you still missing this one? I bought it on eBay and can lend it to you for a while when it arrives.

Thanks a lot, we now have the series from 1 to 15 :-)

Still missing are the following versions...

Published by Santa Cruz Educational Software

Tricky Tutorial No. 3 - Page Flipping Tricky Tutorial No. 6 - Sound and Music

Tricky Tutorial No. 7 - Disk Utilities (not sure whether this program was released by Santa Cruz Educational Software, the company changed its name something like a month after it was announced)

Published by Educational Software / Educational Software, Inc.

Tricky Tutorial No. 4 - Basics of Animation

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

The 'E' suffix TT8 fails after you run a number of tutorials, but the other version seems OK on my 1200XL (.atr via APE). TT1 works fine, here.

What is the reference to DOS 2.5? These are all DOS 2.0 disks - just a series of BASIC programs, actually. If an emulator is having problems...

These also seem to run OK on a 65816.

You do need the books for these.

Bob

• 9 years later...

Hi all, I've just finished a rather intensive weekend project, and what better place to post about it than a thread that's just recently turned 18. The goal of this project was to sort out the mess of multiple versions of Tricky Tutorials that are floating around - some corrupt and unusable, some containing files that were not part of the original published version and added by end users (including, in one instance, myself! (*)) - and reach a complete, clean and hopefully definitive collection of this software and its documentation. I searched far and wide for every possible copy of the tutorial disks and their manuals. This included my own hard drive, Atarimania, the Internet Archive, this thread and others, as well as a big old binder full of documentation lying in my closet. I spent many hours collecting the material, scanning missing manuals, and just for the heck of it - understanding and reconciling the differences between the various disk images until I narrowed them down to no more than one or two versions of each, all in working order and the differences known and (mostly) understood.

The result of this effort is an archive containing all 15 Educational Software Inc releases (though #4 is not genuine, see below), plus an alternate versions subfolder containing Santa Cruz Educational Software releases of tutorials 1, 2, 4, 5, as well as a couple of curiosities: a disk containing ESI releases of both tutorials 2 and 4 with a startup menu to select between them (**), and a version of tutorial 8 with slightly different text in the title screen's scroller. There are also two different demos for use as in-store continuous displays.

As for documentation, many manuals were up on Atarimania (I converted #11 from images to PDF), and I found 3, 5, 6, 7, 10 on the Internet Archive. There is also a PDF containing 1-6 together from this thread. Finally I scanned my own copies of 8, 9, 14. They are not the original manuals but nearly 40 year old photocopies, so they're not perfect but I think they came out all right. The end result is full documentation for all tutorials except #15, whose manual seems nowhere to be found.

The multiple different versions of the disk images posed quite a challenge (there were 2-4 binary different versions of each), but after factoring for things like disk corruptions, unnecessary files added by users, garbage in empty areas of the disk, different MEM.SAV files, etc. - I was able to delete most of the duplicates to end up with just the versions posted here. I was very careful to ensure I wasn't deleting anything of any importance.

I believe everything here is archival quality, equal to or better than anything else available online. I recommend posting these versions to the appropriate archives. Please let me know if anything seems wrong or doesn't work (I did some pretty thorough testing but not 100%). Enjoy!

(*) Attention @www.atarimania.com, your current copy of #14 contains some of my hobby code from 1991-1992. See here for how I think this happened.

(**) I have no idea why this Franken-version exists or where it originated, but it was useful because there is no available standalone version of ESI release #4 - so I made one by taking this one apart. I took a copy of this disk image, removed the tutorial #2 files and made it auto-load the #4 title using the AUTORUN.SYS taken from one of the other disks. I guess that could count as cheating but my educated bet says there is no difference between this "reconstructed" version and the real published release of ESI #4. If this one doesn't make it to the archives however, I'd understand.

Tricky Tutorials - itaych - 20210418.zip

Edited by itaych
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

• 2 years later...
On 7/18/2021 at 5:09 PM, itaych said:

Hi all, I've just finished a rather intensive weekend project, and what better place to post about it than a thread that's just recently turned 18. The goal of this project was to sort out the mess of multiple versions of Tricky Tutorials that are floating around - some corrupt and unusable, some containing files that were not part of the original published version and added by end users ... and reach a complete, clean and hopefully definitive collection of this software and its documentation.

Wow, thanks for your work to complete this project! Seem like it was quite an investment of time and effort, and you've provided a great benefit to the community.