IGNORED

How much should I pay for a Jaguar?

Noah98

I want to add a Jaguar to my collection but have limited funds. The console seems to be quite expensive on ebay right now. What's the most I should pay for the basic system with one controller and maybe one common game? I tend to get impatient and wind up overpaying for consoles!

I say $50-75 for a loose working system with Cybermorph, single controller and power supply is a good deal.

Some folks get lucky with a "parts only" listing as resellers often aren't aware that the Jaguar does not power up without a cartridge. If they don't have a cartridge to test it and the LED doesn't come on, they think it's broken. It's a risk but it could be worth it.

• Like 1

Try to find a lot on ebay for 150-ish with games and accessories. That is a fair price but if you are lucky or live in a big area where there are ample opportunities for game hunting you can probably get a loose system for 80-100. I got mine at an antiques shop for 100 with several games, a jag games strategy guide and multi-tap. With the advent of the gaming community, especially on youtube demand is high for retro games and consoles. My favorite system is the super nintendo and games are so expensive i have to stop collecting. Makes me wish I had kept all my stuff from when I was younger. I foolishly sold everything but recently got caught up in collecting again because I would rather play good retro games than the stuff they have coming out now. I live in a very small town so I don't have access to flea markets or used game shops :(

• Like 2

I'll pass on Bruce Lee, but if you have Defender 2000 on the cheap I'll take it off your hands.

If you are looking for a cheap game that is from Atari and is good, go with Tempest 2k. It's one of the better titles for the system and is readily available. Missile Command 3D/Defender 2k are good but pricey.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the feedback everybody! I'm on the hunt for a Jag and hopefully will join the elite club soon. I definitely want to pick up Tempest 2k and hopefully a modded controller with rotary control.

The Jag is the last Atari system left for me to buy and I'm excited to eventually add it to my collection.

• Like 2

I would wait around for a lot that contains some extra stuff, such as 4+ games, and/or two controllers. Although you could prob get a jag and one controller for about $60, many of the systems more fun titles go for around $25 to $30, and an extra controller can be $15 to $25. And buying all this stuff separate entails spending $5 shipping each time. All of a sudden spending $150 for a system, two controllers, and 5 or 6 games could save you $20-$60 compared to buying the items all separate.

It sounds expensive, because you could get a much more substantive collection for that money with other consoles (such as Saturn or 3DO), but what helped me justify spending more for this system is that there really were not many of these consoles ever produced! Like, well under 500,000 (there is an indication that 250K units were sold in the 90s, and then there was a lot of unsold stock). This is such a small production scale compared to countless other consoles which were produced in the millions.

Edited by sirlynxalot

Thanks for all of the feedback everybody! I'm on the hunt for a Jag and hopefully will join the elite club soon. I definitely want to pick up Tempest 2k and hopefully a modded controller with rotary control.

The Jag is the last Atari system left for me to buy and I'm excited to eventually add it to my collection.

You have a 5200? That's cool, that's still on my "to-get" list..

If you get one with 5-6 games it's only if a deal if at least half of them aren't crap. Most people had a copy of Wolf 3d and Tempest 2k..or Doom. Avoid the likes of Checkered Flag, Bruce Lee, Dino Dudes, Trevor McFur, Etc.

Happy hunting, and give us an update when you find one!!

Whichever route you choose, I'd recommend jumping on any deal you may find (that's worth it to you.) These babies aren't getting any less expensive and I've found that waiting doesn't necessarily help. I bagged 8 base units back in the day and spent what I'd consider a small fortune at the time but compared to today's 'prices' I'm glad I took the bullet then.

Good luck with it all :)

• Like 1

You have a 5200? That's cool, that's still on my "to-get" list..

If you get one with 5-6 games it's only if a deal if at least half of them aren't crap. Most people had a copy of Wolf 3d and Tempest 2k..or Doom. Avoid the likes of Checkered Flag, Bruce Lee, Dino Dudes, Trevor McFur, Etc.

Happy hunting, and give us an update when you find one!!

Yeah, I finally scored a 5200 last month. Right now I have 21 games. I recently picked up Gremlins, my most wanted game for the system!