IGNORED

RJ11 to DB9 pinout

Saturn

Hi, just got this part in.

post-2188-0-55473900-1408983866_thumb.jpg

Looks like the JUGS device iirc but I misplaced mine and am wondering what the pinout should be. Looking at Matthias' page illustrates the wiring but my RJ11 connector is totally different.

Looking inside, the layout is:

0 Y R W

B G B 0

Blank, Yellow, Red, White

Blue, Green, Black, Blank

post-2188-0-15631700-1408983892_thumb.jpg

Can you tell me which three to put through the front cover (and where) so I can use Matthias' method to test encryption?

Thanks!

post-2188-0-96038100-1408983910_thumb.jpg

Are you sure it's a RJ11 connector? If it has room for 8 pins, it's probably a RJ45 connector (wider), into which a RJ11 plug may not fit properly.

If you look at the connector like this (pins on the front bottom, tab on the top):

UT-255.jpg

which are the corresponding wire colors, from left to right?

Edited by Zerosquare

Not 100% sure zerosquare. Ordered it from this link.

If I hold the device exactly as pictured and spin it horizontally 180 degrees, reading left to right, top row first is:

Blank(empty hole), Yellow, Red, White

Bottom row left to right:

Blue, Green, Black, Blank(empty hole)

Broke the pin off anyway. Knew I shoulda ordered like 50 of these.

Is there an easy way to push this delicate thin piece through?

You can try one of these: Modular Adapter D-Sub Pin Insertion / Extraction Tool

About 10 years ago I had to assemble a handful of RJ45/DB9 adapters for CNC machines and I remember using a similar tool.

• Like 1

Great thanks for the info. No soldering iron but I may have a go w/ the tool after re-ordering more parts.

If anyone can build these though, give me a shout. Would rather have it done once and done right than keep pissing away the time. I'm not even sure the connection I'm preparing will work so investing a ton of time/resources into learning to build these myself, and becoming a better-more well rounded person along the way, isn't really on the table.

Appreciate the help amigos :)

• 2 weeks later...

According to this and this, the pinout and wire colors on your connector match the ones on Matthias' pictures:

jaglinkdsub9adaptor.gifjaglink_adapter.jpg

So you can simply use the wire colors as a guide :)

I put this together and tried it out with JUGS. I got the Retry #1-5 before it failed to work.

Everything is the same according to the numbers so I'm looking into other reasons for the problem. Also, am using the standard 4 conductor JagLink cable. The COM Ports 1,2 show up in Device Manager on an XP SP3 machine so I assume they're working.

Does anyone know of any other troubleshooting techniques or a simple test for COM Ports?

I've been referring to information in this thread and this thread.

post-2188-0-46489100-1409853557_thumb.jpg

Edited by Saturn

I assume you have a way to run BJL programs? If so, try this one: http://www.jagware.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=451&view=findpost&p=8046

Setup your terminal program like this: 8 data bits, 1 start bit, 1 stop bit, no parity, 9600 bps,

no flow control. If you type "A" into the terminal window, you should get "B" back. If this works, your cabling is correct.

If you have a Skunkboard, you can also use it.

I have 3 Skunkboards sitting here. Only opened the Rev 1 a long time ago, used it briefly and back in the box it went.

Also, just pulled out the Stone BJL Jaguar but cant remember all the specifics for connecting this baby. Was searching around for some sort of guide and hopefully a list of parts. All I have is a giant LPT cable w/ an adapter on one end. No luck so far in finding a resource for the how-to part.. but it's still early.

I'm trying to get all this stuff to work like I had it a decade ago. Would like to put together a very understandable guide for a non technical n00b or enthusiast but this is so much more difficult than I remember. With all these advancing computers and components, it might not even be worth the effort.

Here's a shot of my BJL equipment. Can you tell me what's missing/needed?

post-2188-0-85130500-1409874698_thumb.jpg

If you've got a Skunkboard, don't bother with setting up the BJL Jaguar, it's more trouble than it's worth.

You can find information on how to use the Skunkboard there: http://www.harmlesslion.com/HLsup/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=330

I don't have one, but if I understand correctly, running jcp -fo TESTUART.bin $4000 -b $4000 from a command prompt should launch the serial port testing program.

• Like 1

If you've got a Skunkboard, don't bother with setting up the BJL Jaguar, it's more trouble than it's worth.

You can find information on how to use the Skunkboard there: http://www.harmlesslion.com/HLsup/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=330

I don't have one, but if I understand correctly, running jcp -fo TESTUART.bin $4000 -b $4000 from a command prompt should launch the serial port testing program.

Great, I'll try it out asap.

Incidentally, I just put a different, older computer in place. It has XP Home Edition SP2 and I got the same result.

Will test w/ a Skunkboard and see. Thanks

I found a reference to the pinout for the JUGS Device in this thread.

Looks like it uses four wires for connecting instead of three. "It's wired DB-1,2,3,5 to RJ-2,1,3,4 (respectively)"

From what I gather with the adapter I'm trying to use, you would exclude wires 1 & 6 and 2, 3, 4, 5 would become 1, 2, 3, 4 for an RJ11 connection? (since it's only a 4 conductor plug-using the 'inside' four conductors?)

post-2188-0-92106400-1410475869_thumb.jpg

If so, looking at the back of the female DB9, the side where you would plug in the wires, would this be accurate?:

1 2 3 4 5

(2) (1) (3) ( ) (4)

( ) ( ) ( ) ( )

6 7 8 9

(2)=black (1)=white (3)=Red (4)=Green