IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

Multiple copies of the fruit could be done in only a dozen or so bytes if there is some data values that can be shared, like PF0 tables...since you only need the lower nybble and the upper would be n/a (no missile on those scanlines). Load the level # to an index (reset if at max), load the shared data to Acc., and update NUSIZ1. Tho it would take more to include right-justification. BTW the Pac-Man Dossier linked on post #98 shows a 10% slower speed in a tunnel (vulnerable or not) than the regular bluetime speed outside of a tunnel...applicable to all boards. Think of it as a conveyor belt moving the ghost monsters, I guess ;)

Edited by Nukey Shay

Multiple copies of the fruit could be done in only a dozen or so bytes if there is some data values that can be shared, like PF0 tables...since you only need the lower nybble and the upper would be n/a (no missile on those scanlines). Load the level # to an index (reset if at max), load the shared data to Acc., and update NUSIZ1. Tho it would take more to include right-justification. BTW the Pac-Man Dossier linked on post #98 shows a 10% slower speed in a tunnel (vulnerable or not) than the regular bluetime speed outside of a tunnel...applicable to all boards. Think of it as a conveyor belt moving the ghost monsters, I guess ;)

Good catch on the monster, tunnel vs scared, speed. I kind of wondered for a moment and then forgot about it. There's another one of those resources 70-80's programmers didn't have.

On the multiple copies of the fruits, using low bits PF0 data could be an easy way to do it, maybe do so. :)
In "the pacman dossier", it is unclear if the "speed" of the tunnel is applied when the ghosts are in blue mode, in fact I tested with the original arcade game, leaving a ghost into the tunnel, then eat a "power pill" (before the ghost comes out the other side), watching the movement speed when exiting the tunnel (still in Bluetime), I see no difference with the blue speed mode.

Three things:

1. I love this freakin' game
  2. Not crazy about the cut scenes in the 4K version. I would just remove them from this version and include with the 8K version, so that they can be done properly.
  3. The difficulty really goes through the roof starting with the Apple board. I don't remember the arcade game being so fast-paced at this point. Maybe I'm wrong...

Anyway, really nice job with this. It's still hard to believe that this is an Atari 2600 game.

-B

• Like 1

Three things:

• I love this freakin' game
  • Not crazy about the cut scenes in the 4K version. I would just remove them from this version and include with the 8K version, so that they can be done properly.
  • The difficulty really goes through the roof starting with the Apple board. I don't remember the arcade game being so fast-paced at this point. Maybe I'm wrong...

Anyway, really nice job with this. It's still hard to believe that this is an Atari 2600 game.

-B

I agree. Makes me wonder what these other not so old consoles can do.

Edited by dashv

Thanks for the pattern Nukey, I'll have to try it.

I just dont remember the ghosts being this bloodthirsty in the arcade version. Blinky is almost psychic (psychotic?) how quickly he tracks you down. But thats what makes this version awesome.

Edited by WildBillTX
  • Like 1

There's 3 points where you'll be moving headlong into an enemy's path, but they'll take a different corridor so long as you turn precisely throughout. They begin scatter mode again at the end. If some bluetime is available for this board you can grab some easy points at #2 before going for the center prize.

Now we need someone to redo the label!

The same only with the new maze in the background!

I think this game is too good to be associated with that steaming pile Atari put out. The label should feature the actual arcade images (since the game pretty much does)!

-B

post-27802-0-68466300-1416152680_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I think this game is too good to be associated with that steaming pile Atari put out. The label should feature the actual arcade images (since the game pretty much does)!

-B

Nice! I always found it amusing how much the Pacman marquee on an original arcade cab resembles the graphics in the GCC Crazy Otto expansion hack. They didn't have to look far for inspiration. :P

large_1024_7800_CrazyOtto_1.jpg

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

That's awesome that patterns are doable on a VCS version of Pacman :)

Actually, patterns work on all of 'em since nothing is ever truly "random". This and Debro's ports are the closest to what works on the arcade machine (because the rules that controls their movements are the closest).

-B

We should make some up with this great version of Pac-Man and send them to the old management people from Atari with a note that reads: "If you would have just done things RIGHT!"

• Like 1

-B

Or, how about a label variant for the 2600 purists...

post-29022-0-66829200-1416163581_thumb.png

• Like 3