IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

I'm wondering if modulation or some other trickery is being used to make notes on the cart? Also does the XM Pacman 320 game detect in-cart Pokey as well as XM? I've also heard the XM module used a different register for Pokey sound than the in-cart versions...

Also I contacted PMP about the Pacman 320 carts a while back and he said the ROMs weren't finalized yet.

Also does the XM Pacman 320 game detect in-cart Pokey as well as XM? I've also heard the XM module used a different register for Pokey sound than the in-cart versions...

POKEY @ $4000 = Ballblazer, Commando.
POKEY @ $0450 = XBoard and XM.
POKEY @ $0400-$047F and $0500-$057F = CPUWIZ's DevCart and Versaboard.
Ms. Pac-Man 320 and Pac-Man 320 (POKEY editions) detects for both $4000 and $0450 areas.
...Now back to the phenomenal 2600 ports here - 4K is spectacular in itself, but admittedly salivating for that 8K edition with more bells and whistles.

I just played the most recent ROM, first time playing this excellent effort. In fact I had to download Stella again onto this computer, it's been so long since I've played Atari2600 on an emulated PC. I was looking for a copy of Dennis Debro's Pac-Man 4K to do a comparison, but I can't find the ROM anywhere. I did play a few rounds of Tod Frye Pac-man just to refresh my memory of that original version.

The sounds on DINTAR816's Pac-man 2600 4K are what really blew me away. The rich bass notes and seeming arcade-perfect sounds and notes on the intro do not sound like TIA sounds to me. How teh heck is that done?!

I'm a lot more familiar with 5200 Pac-Man because I just played it for a week on the 5200 HSC. Not that 5200 Pac-Man has coin-op patterns (it doesn't), so when I played this version I mis-read the ghosts movement and died too frequently the first 2 games. Then I got better and saw ... an Intermission. In a 4K game. Unbelievable.

To quote Mr. Darth Vader, "IMPRESSIVE!" Kudos to DINTAR816 from me!

• Like 4

Hi, right now I'm doing the version pal 50, but will not be equal to 60 because the music start would be slower or a little faster, the rest looks good: the speed of ghosts and pacman, and the timer of the item bonus, fright, etc .. :)

I am also continuing the version of 8k, trying to make the "Variable flicker" or "intelligent flicker" (better). I also want to change the sound to improve it, and intermission music too, and then add everything else and maybe some extra options. :-D

• Like 7

Hi, I've finished version pal50, also I modified a bit the letter "R" of "game over" and the color of blinky I change a little (slightly lighter) because in the real hardware looks a little dark. :)

Regarding the version of 8k still I will not publish it because I have not had time to work more in this version as I would like (I've been busy with other things, sorry ) and also I want a version sufficiently advanced before posting. ;-)

pacman2600_4k_ntsc_.bin

pacman2600_4k_pal60_.bin

pacman2600_4k_pal_.bin

• Like 8

Hi, I've finished version pal50, also I modified a bit the letter "R" of "game over" and the color of blinky I change a little (slightly lighter) because in the real hardware looks a little dark. :)

New version = good!

Crashes Supercharger shortly after gameplay begins. I had hopes it would work because the older PacMan4K almost works also. No reason that it should run on a Supercharger, but I like to convert and try 4K games.

I don't think a PAL50 version is very useful. Only very old European CRT TVs don't support PAL60.

you mean like the one i use to play my VCS on?

i, for one, greatly appreciate the effort put in to make the 4k PAL version, i plan to replace the board in my original pacman with an eprom based board, so the 4k version is the only one i can use, and having a 50hz version also means i get to play it on the TV that i keep my console plugged into, apart from it rolling on 60hz signals it's a great old sony CRT with a lovely picture...

so thank you DINTAR816 for all the hard work and effort...

Regarding the version of 8k still I will not publish it because I have not had time to work more in this version as I would like (I've been busy with other things, sorry ) and also I want a version sufficiently advanced before posting. ;-)

Save the 8k version for future AA shop. Or maybe Albert can fit both games on one cart although that may be a bit redundant. I dunno but your game is so good, I really want a cart made eventually.

But I also want to see how much better you can make the 8k version...

Edited by stardust4ever

New version = good!

Crashes Supercharger shortly after gameplay begins. I had hopes it would work because the older PacMan4K almost works also. No reason that it should run on a Supercharger, but I like to convert and try 4K games.

It's crashing the Supercharger because there is a RTS at $FFFB. The 6502 reads the byte at $FFFC while doing the instruction at $FFFB which causes the crash.

A simple solution is to move the subroutine and place a data table there (that never gets read any higher than $FFFB). Then it will be compatible.

It's crashing the Supercharger because there is a RTS at $FFFB. The 6502 reads the byte at $FFFC while doing the instruction at $FFFB which causes the crash.

A simple solution is to move the subroutine and place a data table there (that never gets read any higher than $FFFB). Then it will be compatible.

Well, I moved that subroutine and put a data table there, to see if it works. :)

pacman2600_4k_ntsc_scfix.bin

pacman2600_4k_pal60_scfix.bin

pacman2600_4k_pal_scfix.bin

• Like 1

Well, I moved that subroutine and put a data table there, to see if it works. :)

Thank you for trying!

It does not work.

Anybody here that knows how to avoid the Supercharger bank-switch spots want to volunteer to look at the source code if DINTAR816 allows?

To have the best Atari 2600 game "The Official Frogger" AND the best "Pac Man" play on the Supercharger would be amazing!

• Like 1

No offense to anyone, but what exactly is the appeal of Supercharger?

I get that you can load games to it from and audio tape (or a wave file), but Harmony is far cheaper and more versatile. It comes with an SD slot which can store a practically unlimited amount of ROMs given their size, supports nearly all bankswitch schemes, and Super Charger formatted ROMs. Super Charger often requires hacking and reformatting of existing 4k ROMs to work, and doesn't work with any existing bankswitch schemes besides it's own custom 6kb ROM format.

So why go through the trouble? Do what you will, but it's my two cents that Supercharger support needn't be necessary for full enjoyment of homebrew, unless the developer specifically develops it for the format.

• Like 1

Not everyone who owns a Supercharger also owns a Harmony.

Right and some of us like using original hardware like the Supercharger just for kicks! Don't have a portable Minidisc recorder anymore, but when I did, was pretty cool setting that next to the Atari and loading misc. games into the Supercharger that way. :love:

• Like 1

Right and some of us like using original hardware like the Supercharger just for kicks! Don't have a portable Minidisc recorder anymore, but when I did, was pretty cool setting that next to the Atari and loading misc. games into the Supercharger that way. :love:

I need to try loading Supercharger games using a DAT someday... :ponder:

• Like 2