IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

I think I made a mistake. It might be an access at $FFF8 that causes the crash. So you would have to arrange the code to have that clear. I'm not sure about reads of $FFF9 etc... but probably easier just to re-arrange it so that it's all free.

Yes that is correct Omega!

DINTAR, just branch over FFF8 and it won't crash, That's the write protect control address, all of the ROM can be made static RAM :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, Happy new year to all. :)

It's been a while since the last time I wrote here. Well, the latest version did not work in the "Supercharger" I change some things, now the rom does not use the last 4 bytes (FFF8-FFFB) to see if it works (to see if Omegamatrix was right). ;-)

pacman2600_4k_ntsc_sc.bin

pacman2600_4k_pal60_sc.bin

pacman2600_4k_pal_sc.bin

• Like 6

It will. Although his previous statement that an instruction which has no argument inadvertently accessing the NEXT address is also correct (so don't place an RTS on address $FFF7, for example). A data table ending on $FFF7 is fine. For the Supercharger, IIRC $FFF8 is unusable, $FFF9 is iffy, and the rest of ROM is OK.

Yeah!

Works great on the Supercharger!

Here are the Slow and Fast audio files made from the NTSC binary posted above, zipped, in a folder. 44khz stereo so if you split to mono or not, it will be on both channels.

Pacman2600_4K mp3.zip

Now I can't wait to design "The Official Pac Man" fan fiction Cassette Label, Sleeve, etc. for "what might have been in 1983".

Hi, I'm here with the first version of 8k (finally), I managed to make the varible flicker on both "player", I took much longer than expected because not find a way to do it (not enough cycles), but eventually I did, but it was not enough to draw the "power pill" with 3 scanlines of the same color (only for 3 cycles), I think I could do it in a next update. :)

Although this version I made with the "Variable flicker" perhaps could do with an "intelligent flicker", ie that ghosts can use PLAYER0 or PLAYER1. ;-)

The intermissions change them a bit, although I will improve later. Also the music's going to change for the arcade version (with 2 channels). :-D

pacman2600_8k.bin

• Like 12

Nice :)

it was not enough to draw the "power pill" with 3 scanlines of the same color (only for 3 cycles), I think I could do it in a next update. :)

Worst-case...should be possible through redundancy, at least (where "to draw or not to draw" is decided earlier to save those cycles for when you need them. IMO a solid missile color looks better at this point, even though it's constantly shifting hues now.

Nice :)

Worst-case...should be possible through redundancy, at least (where "to draw or not to draw" is decided earlier to save those cycles for when you need them. IMO a solid missile color looks better at this point, even though it's constantly shifting hues now.

Using missile in this version is not very good because when a ghost is in the same line of a "power pill" would stay with the same color (it would look always blue, for example). :(
I made some changes and now you have the 3 lines of the same color :) , here it is:

pacman2600_8k_v2.bin

• Like 7

Using missile in this version is not very good because when a ghost is in the same line of a "power pill" would stay with the same color (it would look always blue, for example). :(
I made some changes and now you have the 3 lines of the same color :) , here it is:

This is so ridiculously good. I wish I had a DeLorean and a flux capacitor. I'd go back, show it to my younger self, and blow his mind.

• Like 2

Just put the new 8k ROM into my Harmony. It's awesome! The intelligent flicker is great and I'm so glad your fixed the intermission so that Pacman doesn't appear squished when he chases the ghost.

Please, put this on a cart and...

shut-up-and-take-my-money-9299-1680x1050

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Just put the new 8k ROM into my Harmony. It's awesome! The intelligent flicker is great and I'm so glad your fixed the intermission so that Pacman doesn't appear squished when he chases the ghost.

First of all, the intermission hasn't been fixed, implying that it's broken in the 4K version. There has to be things left out because 4K is small. There was enough to change single wide to double wide, but no room for more graphics data to make double wide taller like in the 8K.

Second of all, he has just begun this 8K. There is so much more that will be added. He just mentioned about using both channels for the intermission music, possibly more flicker reduction sharing and multiplexing both player objects, a title screen, etc.

I still wish he would let Thomas Jentzsch optimize the 4K source. Maybe there could be more space found!

I'll admit the intermission audio is a bit rusty. But large Pacman looks hella better now. I'll also admit though I haven't played the latest 4k ROM. This game is getting better everytime I turn around. And even though the intelligent flicker algorithm could be tweaked as you say, it is a HUGE improvement over the 20Hz flicker in the original 4k Pacman, which was and still is awesome. And yes, I'm looking forward to seeing a proper intermission in the 8k version.

DINAtari816, take all the time you need to make it perfect, but I want to buy this on cartridge before I die.

I'm 34 today btw so I should still plan to being around for a while... :grin:

Wow can't believe this flew under my radar! This is an awesome feat of programming! When I saw the video and heard the power pellet sound, my jaw dropped! I too want to get PacMan 4k and if this gets put on cart I am so gonna get this! I'd love to see a Pac-Man collection. I can only imagine a definitive Pac-Man experience on the 2600! Great job!

Edited by Breakpack

Wow can't believe this flew under my radar! This is an awesome feat of programming! When I saw the video and heard the power pellet sound, my jaw dropped! I too want to get PacMan 4k and if this gets put on cart I am so gonna get this! I'd love to see a Pac-Man collection. I can only imagine a definitive Pac-Man experience on the 2600! Great job!

Nice Avatar bro! :)

Yeah I am basically collecting Pacman ports and variants now. I've got original releases of Pacman, Ms Pacman, Jr Pacman for the 2600, plus AtariAge releases Pacman Arcade, Pacman 4k, and now this on my harmony. For 7800 I've got the original Ms Pacman, PMP Pacman Collection, PMP Crazy Otto hack, and I'm waiting for the Concerto cart or definitive cart releases so I can play the 320 verisions. I've got Tengen (black cart) Pacman on the NES, both the Tengen and Namco versions of Ms Pacman (which play very different from one another, ditto for Tengen and Nintendo Tetris), Ms Pacman on Genesis and SNES, PacLand on the Famicom and TG-16, just about every Namco Museum ever released...

That reminds me, still need to get Hack Em. Maybe just to stick the ROM on my Harmony for comparison but I think Hozer handled the cart release? 5-letter word, I know... :ponder:

Something else surreal about this game. It was created as a labor of love and maybe some small payback if the author sells the games but think about Todd Frye and the 1 million dollar check he got for his horrid version of Pacman. The author did it mainly out of love of the system with no real goal of making serious money but Frye created his nasty version purely to get 1 million dollars. This version is worth FAR more than the Frye version.

The 2600 Pac-Man is one of the worst console games ever. It's almost as bad as E.T.

I enjoyed E.T. when I was a kid. I didn't like Pac-Man at all. This holds true even today.

..Al

I liked both. I was young and it was a new game. I wasn't an adult that could buy stuff and there was no Harmony cart with internet to download roms from. E.T. was a game I learned to play (with the instructions, of course). I knew Pac-Man wasn't even close, but I played it anyway. My non video game playing dad broke a joystick when the ghosts had him in a corner. It was kind of funny.

• Like 1

New version available. In this version I corrected a small error in the kernel, (sometimes not draw the first line of an object when it was repositioned), I've also improved the intermissions using missiles for the first and the second, although it took more space expected, could optimize that later, still need to improve the music (I'm on it now), then I'll do the title screen, and a screen with some options. :)

Also I will make some changes (details) on the behavior of ghosts in the "house" as in the arcade, (when pacman loses a life, for example).

I'm also going to do the "fast corner" for pacman and some other things. ;-)

Edit: wrong file, here this is the right file:

Edited by DINTAR816
  • Like 9