IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

I was using a much earlier version of stella, the error was on a routine that changes the HMM1 after the HMOVE before 23 cycles and apparently this version of stella does not emulate that.
Well, now it works. :)

Dintar816,

First, this is awesome.

Next, I know you said you want to make the 8k version more true to the arcade. Here are three things I have found. Maybe you're already working on some, because I think we discussed the third one during the 4k development.

The first minor thing is that Pac-Man (only the male version, not Ms. Pac) always STARTS and ENDS the level in the ball position.

The second is just a freak timing thing on my part. I don't know how difficult this would be to correct, and GOOD LUCK recreating this scenario!.. lol.

I got the LAST dot at the same time I got caught by a monster. The screen flashed like I was going to clear the board and continue to the next level.

After the screen flashed, I died.

The arcade always takes clearing the last dot as priority over death.

It happened so fast, I could have that backward. Maybe I died and then the screen flash, but I think the above scenario is what happened.

The third thing is that Pac-Man gains ground from the monsters when he cuts a corner, if he is not eating dots. I think somebody even pointed out the actual logic, because it's found in a Pac-Man dossier.

I just know that's how I get away from them when I am playing my arcade machine.. ;-)

Again, thanks for all the great work!

• Like 1

I want this YESTERDAY!! How do you sell this to me?

No SRSLY..this is a SANDWICH MADE OF DOPE!!

Okay, I just played this on my Harmony cart on a Sunnyvale 4-switcher and IT IS AWESOME! It's got the score, the floaty eyes, the fruit is WAY BETTER, the speed is better (no ripping fast up and down, but slow right and left), the ghosts look much better, the death has the disintegrate *pop, the sound is in a leauge all it's own for the Pokey, sounding nearly arcade identical!! WOWZERS!! My wife is gonna FREAK!!

The proof is in the pudding! (..in my PANTS!!)

:-o :thumbsup: :thumbsup: (a twist and a kiss!)

Edited by Papa
  • Like 1

The "disintegrate *pop" sound is DEAD ON! I always called it the "plop plop", but I didn't think anybody would know what I was talking about. lol.

The energizer sound really impresses me too. Better than the early 8-bit versions even.

Actually, I think the dot eating sound is closer than any of the 8-bit versions I've hear either.

Also, more impressive, is that it's not even Pokey! It's the Lowly TIA making all those sounds.

Since my previous post, I checked out intermission 2 and 3. WOW!!

#2 The monster's covering stretches like the arcade... Has the flesh-colored monster leg under the sheet.... AND his eyes move down to look at the tear.

post-13491-0-82362200-1423190582_thumb.png

post-13491-0-02912900-1423190598_thumb.png

post-13491-0-49297000-1423190613_thumb.png

post-13491-0-02252400-1423190624_thumb.png

#3 The monster is mostly naked across the screen. Flesh color, red cape AND White Eyes!

post-13491-0-67766300-1423190639_thumb.png

I don't know why I didn't expect them to be multi-colored and that detailed, but I was really impressed!

I want this YESTERDAY!! How do you sell this to me?

No SRSLY..this is a SANDWICH MADE OF DOPE!!

Okay, I just played this on my Harmony cart on a Sunnyvale 4-switcher and IT IS AWESOME! It's got the score, the floaty eyes, the fruit is WAY BETTER, the speed is better (no ripping fast up and down, but slow right and left), the ghosts look much better, the death has the disintegrate *pop, the sound is in a leauge all it's own for the Pokey, sounding nearly arcade identical!! WOWZERS!! My wife is gonna FREAK!!

The proof is in the pudding! (..in my PANTS!!)

:-o :thumbsup: :thumbsup: (a twist and a kiss!)

• Like 3

Well, I finally got a Harmony Cart & tried it out on my 7800 hooked up to the big TV in my livingroom. DAMN. This is excellent. The quality of the sound amazed me numerous times (just ask my wife).

In other news, my just-turned-3yo wanted to give it a go. My older son was mastering Sonic the Hedgehog before he turned 4; my younger one is not quite as adept at video game controllers (ok w/ stylus or touchscreens). Between DINTARI816's Pac-Man, and Space Rocks, and giving him a CX-40 joystick, he's.. _actually_ kind figuring it out! :) (Proof: https://twitter.com/billkendrick/status/565761566163730432)

Anyway, excellent work. I shall be singing the praises of this accomplishment at my annual Atari Party this May. :)

Edited by billkendrick
  • Like 2

The "disintegrate *pop" sound is DEAD ON! I always called it the "plop plop", but I didn't think anybody would know what I was talking about. lol.

The energizer sound really impresses me too. Better than the early 8-bit versions even.

Actually, I think the dot eating sound is closer than any of the 8-bit versions I've hear either.

Also, more impressive, is that it's not even Pokey! It's the Lowly TIA making all those sounds.

Since my previous post, I checked out intermission 2 and 3. WOW!!

#2 The monster's covering stretches like the arcade... Has the flesh-colored monster leg under the sheet.... AND his eyes move down to look at the tear.

attachicon.gifpacman2600_8k_v2d_1.png

attachicon.gifpacman2600_8k_v2d_2.png

attachicon.gifpacman2600_8k_v2d_3.png

attachicon.gifpacman2600_8k_v2d_4.png

#3 The monster is mostly naked across the screen. Flesh color, red cape AND White Eyes!

attachicon.gifpacman2600_8k_v2d_7.png

I don't know why I didn't expect them to be multi-colored and that detailed, but I was really impressed!

This is some fantastic attention to detail! Great Job!

Well, my Harmony Encore is ordered and can't wait to get it! I will put this baby thru extensive testing!!! :) I know I may be getting ahead of myself, but could there possibly maybe a definitive version of Pac-Man Collection coming to the 2600??! I can dream..... :D Also, again dreaming big, how hard could a Super Pac- or Baby Pac be to do? My hats off to what u have done now! AMAZING!!

Well, my Harmony Encore is ordered and can't wait to get it! I will put this baby thru extensive testing!!! :) I know I may be getting ahead of myself, but could there possibly maybe a definitive version of Pac-Man Collection coming to the 2600??! I can dream..... :D Also, again dreaming big, how hard could a Super Pac- or Baby Pac be to do? My hats off to what u have done now! AMAZING!!

There was a Super Pac-man WIP by e1Will. I would have linked it http://atariage.com/forums/topic/155326-acceptable-flicker/ and there I did.

• 2 weeks later...

Dintar816,

First, this is awesome.

Next, I know you said you want to make the 8k version more true to the arcade. Here are three things I have found. Maybe you're already working on some, because I think we discussed the third one during the 4k development.

The first minor thing is that Pac-Man (only the male version, not Ms. Pac) always STARTS and ENDS the level in the ball position.

The second is just a freak timing thing on my part. I don't know how difficult this would be to correct, and GOOD LUCK recreating this scenario!.. lol.

I got the LAST dot at the same time I got caught by a monster. The screen flashed like I was going to clear the board and continue to the next level.

After the screen flashed, I died.

The arcade always takes clearing the last dot as priority over death.

It happened so fast, I could have that backward. Maybe I died and then the screen flash, but I think the above scenario is what happened.

The third thing is that Pac-Man gains ground from the monsters when he cuts a corner, if he is not eating dots. I think somebody even pointed out the actual logic, because it's found in a Pac-Man dossier.

I just know that's how I get away from them when I am playing my arcade machine.. ;-)

Again, thanks for all the great work!

thx.
Well, the "ball position" of pacman at the beginning and end, you're right, that is already done. ;-)
The second, is a "bug", otherwise (stranger) occurs if pacman eats the last dot and a "monster/ghost" at the same time but in "fright mode", well, that I corrected saving a few bytes, so I can do in the 4k version too. :)
And the "cut corner", I'll do this later.
Right now I'm doing the screens start, and I'm also thinking about changing the sound code to make intermission music more easily and improve some sounds. :)
I've also been optimizing some parts of the code (as part of intermission and code messages of "game over" and "ready¡") also some parts that had made in the 4k version that had not implemented in the 8k version yet.
I have also improved a bit the "flicker variable" (or rather corrected), but could make the "Intelligent flicker" (or pseudo "inteligent flicker" at least) to do it is necessary to make a routine to sort the 6 sprites ( but it must be fast). :-D
I also made some other changes such as brightness of "dots" and "score" and corrected a small error in the "AI" of pinky.

pacman2600_8k_V2E.bin

pacman2600_4k_fix.rar

• Like 15

thx.
Well, the "ball position" of pacman at the beginning and end, you're right, that is already done. ;-)
The second, is a "bug", otherwise (stranger) occurs if pacman eats the last dot and a "monster/ghost" at the same time but in "fright mode", well, that I corrected saving a few bytes, so I can do in the 4k version too. :)
And the "cut corner", I'll do this later.
Right now I'm doing the screens start, and I'm also thinking about changing the sound code to make intermission music more easily and improve some sounds. :)
I've also been optimizing some parts of the code (as part of intermission and code messages of "game over" and "ready¡") also some parts that had made in the 4k version that had not implemented in the 8k version yet.
I have also improved a bit the "flicker variable" (or rather corrected), but could make the "Intelligent flicker" (or pseudo "inteligent flicker" at least) to do it is necessary to make a routine to sort the 6 sprites ( but it must be fast). :-D
I also made some other changes such as brightness of "dots" and "score" and corrected a small error in the "AI" of pinky.

Awesome! Thanks for such a great game!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi everyone, here is a new update of this game.

In this version I modify the "kernel" to put all the "HMOVE" at cicle 73/74, now the black lines are no longer seen on the left. :)

I have also made the screen where are the names of ghosts / monsters (a test), but still lack the final part, this screen appears when "pacman" loses the last life or when pacman lost in the demo. ;-)

And finally I'm doing the last part of "AI" of the ghosts that had not yet done, is when ghosts / monsters will come out of the "home". Now they come out depending on a number of dots that "pacman" eat, or a time of 4 seconds (3 seconds at level 5), although still not as in the arcade, (is more complex) then I will try to make it as is.

pacman2600_8k_v3.bin

• Like 10