IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

Holy cow! I have been following this thread, but just tried the latest ROM on my Harmony cart and 7800...this is amazing...awesome job!

Even moreso for those of us watching this thread, it has been like seeing q child grow up. I hope Albert has something in the AA store once a final release candidate is out.

• Like 1

Even moreso for those of us watching this thread, it has been like seeing q child grow up. I hope Albert has something in the AA store once a final release candidate is out.

Oh yeah, gotta definitely cement Dintari's (whoops, Freudian slip -ha) excellent efforts here with a cartridge release! I had mentioned something along the lines of a double-ender, but Al suggested they can now just do a single cart with both versions selectable via menu. :love:

I will buy a cart. Or two if there is a 4K ine and an 8K one.

Usually I am for throwing all software and hardware techniques into a game, but in this case you have got to admire the purity and accuracy of the tiny 4K version! It should not be possible to make it that good, with 3 cut scenes and all in just 4K.

Awe inspiring!

• Like 1

Hello everyone, right now it is optimizing some code, and reorganizing some other parts to improve space utilization. The intro screen (where are the names of ghosts / monsters) is almost ready, missing the title screen, and then I'll add a screen with some "options". ;-)

Well, let me answer some questions.

Hi DINTAR816,

Quick question, is it possible to set the blue color ramp of the maze darker like the Arcade? I believe it is currently 86. Can it be brought down to a 82 (Bringing it down two 'shades' darker)? If there's some sort of technical limitation for this, I apologize for my ignorance. If it is a personal preference, that's certainly understandable. :)

The color of the maze, I think it could lower it to 84, but I think 82 would be very low because in the arcade that blue is made of 100% blue, or a saturated blue (representing a 11% of luminance in Composite Video ), but the VCS / 2600 has no saturated colors, all have the same average level. With a value of 82, the luminance level would be about 14%, but is not equal to the arcade by the saturation of color.

I do have one minor request. Would you be able to adjust your writes to VBLANK so that they are not midline? On some TV's you can see the blanking lines as they are "blacker than black". I'm probably the only person on this forum that it really bothers (ha ha)... I guess this game is so close to perfection already I hate to see that. :)

That happens in the 4k version ?, because there was not using the reg. "VBLANK". Well if so, I'll leave this version equal to 4k version (without using the reg.). ;-)

I've tried this too, and I think it's pretty good, although some sounds are a tiny bit off, as it seems. One request I'd still have: Can the intermission music be played in two voices, like the game start music is? Currently it's only monophonic, which doesn't sound very good.

Well, about the sound, I'll improve intermission music (2 channels) and at least the sound of "extralife" and then I'll see if I can improve other sounds. :-D

Sorry for not responding more quickly.

• Like 6

The color of the maze, I think it could lower it to 84, but I think 82 would be very low because in the arcade that blue is made of 100% blue, or a saturated blue (representing a 11% of luminance in Composite Video ), but the VCS / 2600 has no saturated colors, all have the same average level. With a value of 82, the luminance level would be about 14%, but is not equal to the arcade by the saturation of color.

First and foremost, thank you for responding and even entertaining the request. Regarding the above, I humbly submit both Pac-Man "Color Hack" and Pac-Man "Enhanced Hack" as examples. They didn't just go as low as 82, but took it another step further and went as low as 80. Both appear beautifully on my RF video as well as my Composite mod Woody's, on both CRT and HDTVs:

post-18-0-61398700-1429313639_thumb.pngpost-18-0-85946400-1429313640_thumb.png

As I mentioned earlier, I do believe 80 may be too dark for some, depending on their display(s); however, 82 should work fine. If you want to compare for yourself and get a feel for your level of comfort with it, here are the two ROMs from the above example that are using 80: Pac-Man (Color Hack).binPac-Man (Enhanced Hack).bin

Nonetheless, it is your masterpiece, and whatever you think is best...is indeed, best, for your port. :)

• Like 3

This is my personal advice to you on the maze color: let it be where it is.

Blue is the weakest of the three primaries (red green blue) since the cones in our eyes are the least sensitive to blue light (rods are least sensitive to red but that only comes into play with night vision in near total darkness). Some CRT sets vary considerably with output. Often sets poorly calibrated or set to default values, dark colors can often look darker than they should, almost black even. If the black levels are adjusted so that dim colors are visible, it also makes the blacks not a true black giving the display a washed out appearance. We have no way of knowing if the user has properly calibrated TV sets regardless of LCD / CRT, or even a clean RF/composite feed (vintage RF switches can get pretty roach), so it is best to keep the colors bright enough to ensure that all users can see the maze clearly without adjusting their TV sets.

Edited by stardust4ever

We have no way of knowing if the user has properly calibrated TV sets regardless of LCD / CRT, or even a clean RF/composite feed (vintage RF switches can get pretty roach), so it is best to keep the colors bright enough to ensure that all users can see the maze clearly without adjusting their TV sets.

Those would have to be some *really* bad calibrated televisions.

Even the 1982 Atari release, Haunted House uses 82:

post-18-0-12800400-1429324554_thumb.png

Evidently, the majority saw/sees it just fine. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Incredible work. I like the 8k version the most, where pac-man lights up 'more yellow' when away from the ghosts. I like the compromise, where he only flickers around the ghosts.

Did I mention incredible? I love this stuff. Release it in a cart already! hehe *throws money at screen*

Edited by kaz321123

Oh ya, I forgot to mention the AI. It is incredible! I watched as Pinky actually went in the direction pac-man was pointing (it tries to ambush basically). And blinky follows me correctly. I'm wondering now if other logic is in it also, such as ghosts not going upwards in certain corridors. This version of pac-man has my vote for the best so far on this site! :) CONGRATS!

Edit: The logic with the corridors is accurate also (ghosts can't go up). The slowdown in the escape corridor works great.

Blinky gets very fast at the end of the levels (awesome).

Edited by kaz321123

Ghost vs Monster: Does it really matter?

I believe it does, because it is the TRUE history of the game, regardless of any Japanese back story. I feel the arcade machine creates the context for history.

post-13491-0-20312200-1430147134_thumb.png

Even the Japanese marquee translates the word to "Monster". (I shared a Google translation back in post #324)

Blinky is clearly a flesh being, dressed in a ghost costume. (Based off of the 2nd and 3rd intermission).

To me that is important to preserve. As a youth, I was very frustrated when Atari mistranslated the game, in addition to releasing a port that lacked everything that gave the game personality.

First Atari ruined it. They used the term "ghost" to excuse their white, flickery mess. Since that was publicly known, the cartoon took it and ran with it.

I feel it is very important to acknowledge that ALL of the arcade machines, Japanese and American, use the term "Monster" on the instructions.

THAT is the ONLY definition.

I don't mean any of that in a pissy way. I am just very passionate about it, because the arcade machines set the history!

For me, it is good to see monsters, not white "ghosts".

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 1