IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

It's great to see more and more people going to emulation and multi-game cabinets. And LCD! They're so much easier to work with, plentiful, low-power, and enable new formfactors like this:

Raspberry Pi, cheap china crap 500-in-one boards, 2005-2010 era e-waste PC's.. All good sources for the main game engine too.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Mind blown! Awsome dude! I only found one problem. :idea: When you're eating horizontally the sounds go to slow but not vertically. Is that normal? Idk cause i'm not a pac man fan but i still like pac man. The sound also sounds great for an atari 2600! :music:

Hi all, a new version available.

In this version I have done some optimizations in the code, I've also added the option to change the color of the maze with the left difficulty switch (A = 84, B = 86). :)

I finished the title screen (although I perhaps need to adjust some things ;)), just missing an option screen.

Starting from now I'll take care of the most important things as the sound (improve intermission music), the "fast corner" and finish the code for the behavior of the ghost / monsters in the house. :-D

I have taken some time to update this game because I've been working also in "mariobros" (or perhaps plumber bros or plumber man?), I've been changing the code completely (the kernel mainly). ;-)

pacman2600_8k_v4.bin

• Like 20

In this version I have done some optimizations in the code, I've also added the option to change the color of the maze with the left difficulty switch (A = 84, B = 86). :)
I finished the title screen (although I perhaps need to adjust some things ;)), just missing an option screen.
Starting from now I'll take care of the most important things as the sound (improve intermission music), the "fast corner" and finish the code for the behavior of the ghost / monsters in the house. :-D
I have taken some time to update this game because I've been working also in "mariobros" (or perhaps plumber bros or plumber man?), I've been changing the code completely (the kernel mainly). ;-)

Excellent as always. Can't wait to see where Plumber Bros is going either! :)

I love the new version! :)

Can you put in the blinky pass through trick on the first stage? (like in the video I posted above?)

I don't know if it is possible...perhaps it could somehow be forced (if even for fun/easter egg)? Blinky (in your version) doesn't quite follow the same pattern as he does in the arcade (which causes the pass through situation).

Like maybe if you encounter blinky in the first 13 seconds or something, pac-man will pass through him (kinda like coding in a cheat). I looked at the video, and the pass through is at 13 seconds (if the timing is right and all that).

Or perhaps he can only pass through him after pac-man has moved for '10 seconds' (whatever might make the coding easier I don't know :P)

Just so you know, I love everything about this version. *Best game on the 2600 so far!* (imho). Wonderful work on the title screen!

This is just a super humble suggestion...I want to stay very positive and supportive. This is just a 'wish list' kinda thing :)

Edited by KAZ

Great to hear that your back on it! Especially since its Pac-Man's 35th birthday yesterday too!

To Dintar: Another VERY tiny adjustment for authenticity:

On the intro screen in the arcade. After Pac-Man, energizes...and is eating the ghosts. Each time he eats a ghost monster, he actually moves a bit backwards before eating the next one (almost like he suddenly appears a bit behind where he just ate the ghost). And then he appears to accelerate to eat the next one.

I hope I've explained it enough, pm me if you want me to describe it further. And of course I don't know if it is possible to add this feature. In case it is, I thought I'd mention it :)

Did I mention this version of pac-man is incredible? :)

Edited by KAZ

To Dintar: Another VERY tiny adjustment for authenticity:

On the intro screen in the arcade. After Pac-Man, energizes...and is eating the ghosts. Each time he eats a ghost monster, he actually moves a bit backwards before eating the next one (almost like he suddenly appears a bit behind where he just ate the ghost). And then he appears to accelerate to eat the next one.

I hope I've explained it enough, pm me if you want me to describe it further. And of course I don't know if it is possible to add this feature. In case it is, I thought I'd mention it :)

Did I mention this version of pac-man is incredible? :)

I just fired up my real pac arcade game and I have no idea what you're talking about. When pac eats a monster in the attract screen, the point value shows and he continues on to eat the next monster. I don't see this jump backward thing you're talking about...are you using an emulator or noticing something that's a fraction of a mm?

I just fired up my real pac arcade game and I have no idea what you're talking about. When pac eats a monster in the attract screen, the point value shows and he continues on to eat the next monster. I don't see this jump backward thing you're talking about...are you using an emulator or noticing something that's a fraction of a mm?

It was on mame. It is a very tiny distance. It looks like just after pac-man eats the first *monster :P* he is a few pixels to the left of where he ate it. I put my finger on the exact spot where he ate the monster, and the distance isn't much. Perhaps it is an illusion, and I'm not seeing it correctly. After he eats the first ghost, it APPEARS to me that he teleports (frame by frame-does he vanish for a split second?) to a spot a couple mm or pixels to the left of where he ate the monster before he goes on to eat the next one (and it again appears like he accelerates at an even faster speed to reach the next one). It gives me an illusion of 'chasing'...like he's really going after the next one agressively...

Edit: Read below, it is the monsters who are continuing to the right while the score is being displayed (200 let's say).

Edited by KAZ

Ok, I see now. It isn't pac-man who is 'teleporting' to the left...the next (second) monster that pac-man hasn't eaten yet has moved to the right after pac-man eats the first one. That's what's creating this illusion of distance. The monster isn't in the same place it was after the score vanishes. Right?

I did screenshots of every frame, and this is what I noticed. It is the monsters who are continuing to move to the right while the score is being displayed.

(In mame, I did the attract screen, and repeatedly pressed f12 as fast as possible to see the progression).

Edited by KAZ

I find this site useful for reference :)

http://home.comcast.net/~jpittman2/pacman/pacmandossier.html#CH2%20-%20Home%20Sweet%20Home

Look at the section: Speed.

Pac-Man goes slower while eating dots (of course), but he also increases speed when energized.

Pac-Man normal speed=80%, energized=90%

Monster normal speed=75%, frightened=50%

And while eating dots, while the monsters are frightened, pac-man is still faster than them (at the beginning level).

But his speed is also determined by level.

At level 21+ you can see that pac-man's normal speed is actually SLOWER than the monsters.

I love dintar's version, pac-man does slowly get quicker at higher levels. It is so awesome.

Edited by KAZ

This game is incredible. I gotta try the safety spots again. I tried a few versions back but it didn't work well. Pacman got "eaten" by ghost after 20 seconds or so. Maybe I was doing it wrong. I dunno.

I think you have to wait until the monsters are out of the scatter mode. I didn't read that anywhere, but I have noticed that it doesn't work if you go straight to the safety zone.

As long as we're talking about "VERY tiny adjustment for authenticity".. how about the ol' Pacman tap-the-direction facing behavior thingy I brought up some time ago? If it requires an entire rewrite, don't bother. But hey if it can be put in easily, why not?

It is part of the arcade game after all. I have to not be the only person in the world who used it constantly and consistently in the game when stopping at power pills waiting for ghost monsters can I? :lol:

As long as we're talking about "VERY tiny adjustment for authenticity".. how about the ol' Pacman tap-the-direction facing behavior thingy I brought up some time ago? If it requires an entire rewrite, don't bother. But hey if it can be put in easily, why not?
It is part of the arcade game after all. I have to not be the only person in the world who used it constantly and consistently in the game when stopping at power pills waiting for ghost monsters can I? :lol:

How you do that? Looks like something fun to do when I get my Porta-Pi built... :P

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/237987-mame-options-for-pacman/

Edited by stardust4ever

How you do that? Looks like something fun to do when I get my Porta-Pi built... :P

Are you serious? lol I guess maybe I am a minority. :lol:

Before you hit a wall, TAP (not hold) the joystick in the perpendicular direction you want to face. When you come to a stop, you will face that direction. Easy. Works in Pacman, Ms Pacman, and Jr. Pacman arcade games.

• Like 1