IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

Before you hit a wall, TAP (not hold) the joystick in the perpendicular direction you want to face. When you come to a stop, you will face that direction. Easy. Works in Pacman, Ms Pacman, and Jr. Pacman arcade games.

So, you want us to jerk the stick?

• Like 1

Are you serious? lol I guess maybe I am a minority. :lol:

Before you hit a wall, TAP (not hold) the joystick in the perpendicular direction you want to face. When you come to a stop, you will face that direction. Easy. Works in Pacman, Ms Pacman, and Jr. Pacman arcade games.

Yes, I love doing this! Especially in front of people that don't know,LOL! They're like 'What the H?'

Are you serious? lol I guess maybe I am a minority. :lol:

It may make a good litmus test for those Namco compilations. If the trick works, you know it's real emulation. If it doesn't, it's only simulation.

• Like 1

I finally tried this via emulator and was completely blown away. I can't think of a port that plays as close to the arcade as this; some of them have slightly better graphics, sure, but they still feel like you're playing a different game. This was amazingly close. The sounds, ghost behavior, energizer times (with one exception), the cartoons: it's simply incredible that all this is being done on the 2600.

I have a couple comments that could make it even closer. Sorry if these have been raised, but this thread is 33 pages long, lol.

1. The energizer time on the first galaxian level is about twice as long as it should be. This was noticeable because the other times seemed so spot on. I realize it might be intentional too: this game gets tough once you make it to the first apple!

2. Blue monsters exit the monster house to the left instead of right. To be more specific, in the arcade a blue monster exiting the box will move very slightly to the left, then reverse and go right. Normal monsters will exit the box in this manner as well if a reversal occurs just before they leave the box. This might already be WIP based the author's recent posts.

Questions: Has anyone made it to the 5th key on this? Do the energizers have no blue time, only a monster reversal? How about the 9th Key? Does Pac-man slow down?

Add me to the list of people who will buy the shit out of this if it is ever made into a cart!

(Edited to clarify comment No. 2.)

Edited by hepcat
  • Like 2

It may make a good litmus test for those Namco compilations. If the trick works, you know it's real emulation. If it doesn't, it's only simulation.

May? It does, of course. :) Been doing it for decades at this point. Heck I remember even trying it out on 2600 Pacman when it came out :lol:

Not to see if they were emulations (although that did come later) but just in the vain attempt to see if the trick made it. Kind of like trying to count shots in any version of Space Invaders that came out. :P

Edited by NE146

On the attract screen, can you make the ghosts nearly catch pac-man before he eats the energizer? They seem to close in on him right before he reaches it (in the arcade version).

Perhaps can someone (perhaps Dintar), design a really cool 'Marquee" for this amazing game? I want to add it to my "Vision" pac-man compilation for xbox classic.

The other "Atari 2600 pac-man 8k" that is shown in coinops is nowhere close to the quality of this version.

I would try to design a marquee myself, but I'd rather see what the author has in mind for a creative marquee. A marquee is what you see above an arcade machine (so you know what I'm referring to).

Edited by KAZ

I finally tried this via emulator and was completely blown away. I can't think of a port that plays as close to the arcade as this; some of them have slightly better graphics, sure, but they still feel like you're playing a different game. This was amazingly close. The sounds, ghost behavior, energizer times (with one exception), the cartoons: it's simply incredible that all this is being done on the 2600.

I have a couple comments that could make it even closer. Sorry if these have been raised, but this thread is 33 pages long, lol.

1. The energizer time on the first galaxian level is about twice as long as it should be. This was noticeable because the other times seemed so spot on. I realize it might be intentional too: this game gets tough once you make it to the first apple!

2. Blue monsters exit the monster house to the left instead of right. To be more specific, in the arcade a blue monster exiting the box will move very slightly to the left, then reverse and go right. Normal monsters will exit the box in this manner as well if a reversal occurs just before they leave the box. This might already be WIP based the author's recent posts.

Questions: Has anyone made it to the 5th key on this? Do the energizers have no blue time, only a monster reversal? How about the 9th Key? Does Pac-man slow down?

Add me to the list of people who will buy the shit out of this if it is ever made into a cart!

(Edited to clarify comment No. 2.)

I remember the 9th key well. My friend and I had to make our quarters last, so we bought a pattern book to follow. One mistake on the 9th key and you were toast. No blue time. Only a reverse. And Pac-Man moved so slow that you had no hope without a pattern.

I totally agree Thom! I have added Dintar's Pac-Man to my Pac-Man Compilation for Xbox Classic (over 50 various pac-man games including ms. pac-man, jr. pac-man etc.). It is the compilation I made using "Vision".

It is the third Atari 2600 Pac-Man you find on the list. (1st is the original), (2nd is the '1st' 8k pac-man) (3rd is Dintar's).

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit: After checking, the 2nd one appears to be the 4k pac-man. It is on the pac-man standard maze, not the hacked ms. pac-man version. I looked more closely at what I had after iesposta's posted.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You can install the whole thing from this link:

Pac-Man Pack (Visionary 3):

https://mega.co.nz/#!L0hizDgI!VHyKPKHjqfXkQB8CuaXhGcW_9qcQCujL689esPXJCc0 (811 MB)

Just ftp this to a modded xbox, and enjoy the compilation that I spent quite a bit of time making :)

I hope it is ok I provided this link. I love all things pac-man, and Dintar's is absolutely incredible!

-Kaz

Edited by KAZ

What is, "2nd is the '1st' 8k pac-man"?

The Pac-Man made from Atari's Ms. Pac-Man?

You should add the Pac-Man 4K that is in the AtariAge Store. Denis Debro posted the source, so you need to compile it or ask someone to compile it for you.

Just a suggestion.

I just checked. I think the one I have on the pac-man pack is the one you refer to.

My preview video matched the one on youtube, so it is likely the 4k one.

Edit: I checked the size of this file, it is 4k.

Download it and let me know if I really do have it correct, please.

Edited by KAZ

You should add the Pac-Man 4K that is in the AtariAge Store.

I have Pac 4k and Pacman Arcade (Ms Pac hack) on AA carts. I cannot wait to add this to my personal collection. I also got the original Pacman, Ms Pacman, Pacman Jr for 2600; Pacman 5200 (but I don't have a system to play it on); Ms Pacman 7800, PMP Pacman Collection, Crazy Otto, Super Pacman, Jr Pacman 7800; Pacman, Ms Pacman (Tengen and Namco) for NES; Ms Pacman Genesis & SNES; Pacland for Famicom and TG-16; multiple Namco Collections, Game Boy Color / Advance remakes...

I think I got about every version of Pacman save for the standup arcade cabs and PMP 320 carts w/ Pokey...

• Like 1

Just saw this yesterday. Simply amazing! The sound is awesome, the graphics, the screens. I miss just the smell of cigarretes of the old arcades. Or not.

Cigarettes are gross. I don't miss the days when smoking was everywhere. I wish they would ban it in bars too.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

I just made it to the 6th key on this and got 163,340. If possible, the energizer time from the 2nd bell should be used for the first galaxian. The 2nd bell time seems identical to the arcade, so adjusting this on the first galaxian would make it even more accurate.

As for the 5th key, the monsters do change for a fraction of a second, but it IS possible to get one of them, and maybe two if you're really quick. Is there any way to reduce the energizer time to zero? Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to reach the 9th key on this. I'm very curious to see what happens.

Again, this is an incredible piece of work! Thanks again Dintar816 so much for making this amazing game!

• Like 1

I just made it to the 6th key on this and got 163,340. If possible, the energizer time from the 2nd bell should be used for the first galaxian. The 2nd bell time seems identical to the arcade, so adjusting this on the first galaxian would make it even more accurate.

As for the 5th key, the monsters do change for a fraction of a second, but it IS possible to get one of them, and maybe two if you're really quick. Is there any way to reduce the energizer time to zero? Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to reach the 9th key on this. I'm very curious to see what happens.

Again, this is an incredible piece of work! Thanks again Dintar816 so much for making this amazing game!

It's impressive that you did 163.340, I think the most I've made are about 40,000. :-D
The energizer time are not equal to the arcade, in the first 9 levels are 1 second more, and the levels of 0 seconds, you have 0.5 seconds. Anyway I'm adding a screen with options and one of them will be to choose between "nomal" (as is now) and "arcade" (with the "energizer time" and speed equal to the arcade). :)

So the 4K version it may be considered completed, even in PAL-60? :grin:

Can't wait to buy it! (and also can't wait for the 8K version)

Thank you for your great work Dintar816!

4k version is finished, but I found some parts that I can optimize, while working in the 8k version (can save about 12 bytes), however later I will publish a latest version of 4k. ;-)

Well right now I'm finishing the code of the monsters / ghost in home, (to make it more like the arcade) and then I'll continue with the code of sound (to improve some sounds). and I'm also thinking about the things I could have the screen "options" ( I have 4 in mind, one could be PATTERNS = on, off.). ;)

• Like 9

It's impressive that you did 163.340, I think the most I've made are about 40,000. :-D

The energizer time are not equal to the arcade, in the first 9 levels are 1 second more, and the levels of 0 seconds, you have 0.5 seconds. Anyway I'm adding a screen with options and one of them will be to choose between "nomal" (as is now) and "arcade" (with the "energizer time" and speed equal to the arcade). :)

4k version is finished, but I found some parts that I can optimize, while working in the 8k version (can save about 12 bytes), however later I will publish a latest version of 4k. ;-)

Well right now I'm finishing the code of the monsters / ghost in home, (to make it more like the arcade) and then I'll continue with the code of sound (to improve some sounds). and I'm also thinking about the things I could have the screen "options" ( I have 4 in mind, one could be PATTERNS = on, off.). ;)

Very nice. Menus would be preferable to toggle switches if you can squeeze them in. Many gamers tend to forget that difficulty switches / game variations exist sometimes. I'm not one to memorize patterns, but I'm curious as to how you disable them? Do you randomize the home corners per the ghosts a la Ms Pacman?

Also a lot of dual region games switch to PAL60 color scheme by toggling the B/W switch although depending on how you build the kernel, it may be a nightmare to add two sets of color tables to the ROM. Pacman's classic yellow would be hard to pull of in PAL.

Patterns! *drool*.

I like your idea of different game modes :)

One can be your own personal vision of how the monster AI could be, and another would be the arcade emulation stuff.

Any chance of a 'plus' mode? Such as invisible mazes, and eating the fruit in the center causes energizing.

It is amazing to me you can cram this sort of awesome monster AI into such a tiny space. 8k is about the size of one of these letters I'm typing :P

Edit: Just looked it up. 1K is about the size of a half of page of typewritten text. Still insanely tiny.

Edited by KAZ