IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

I'm only going by the ones I've played. I need to try Hack 'em, and possibly get a cart made it I like it. Will Albert do a custom of Hack 'em, or do I need to talk to Hozer? :ponder:

Pacman Arcade "enhanced" I have not tried yet. Is it an improved version of the PM Arcade cart in the AA store? Also I'm aware Pacman Arcade (Ms Pac hack) is very far from being a "dog turd." I just used dog turd to share my opin of the original.

I don't know if it's possible to get Hack'em on cart. I play it using the Harmony cart. Pac-Man Arcade Enchanced is Pac-Man Arcade with some color tweaks and the intermissions. It's available in this thread.

I don't know if it's possible to get Hack'em on cart. I play it using the Harmony cart. Pac-Man Arcade Enchanced is Pac-Man Arcade with some color tweaks and the intermissions. It's available in this thread.

I figured it out:

Hack 'em is a hack of Pesco. :lol:

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=303

Also I'm aware Pacman Arcade (Ms Pac hack) is very far from being a "dog turd." I just used dog turd to share my opin of the original.

As the guy who made what's now called PMA, I have zero problem with people considering my hack to be less accurate than the others that have been made in the 16 years since I made it. Atari did all the work and I just had the clever-at-the-time idea of hacking another game into a plausible Pac-Man, but it's been long since surpassed.

I also don't suffer from reading comprehension deficiency, so I understood what you meant ;-)

• Like 2

As the guy who made what's now called PMA, I have zero problem with people considering my hack to be less accurate than the others that have been made in the 16 years since I made it. Atari did all the work and I just had the clever-at-the-time idea of hacking another game into a plausible Pac-Man, but it's been long since surpassed.

I also don't suffer from reading comprehension deficiency, so I understood what you meant ;-)

16 years? We have come so far since then.

I figured it out:

With regardst to Hack 'em, I also added Pesco to my AA Store wishlist. I'm planning another big purchase next week after CGE disbands. How substantial is the improvement?

Edited by stardust4ever

I figured it out:

That's not completely accurate. It's a hack of the Ebivision Pac-Man that was turned into Pesco. I haven't played Pesco or the original Ebivision Pac-Man, but I read that a lot of changes were made to Hack'Em compared to the Ebivision Pac-Man (fast Pac-Man option, modes based on Pac-Man plus and hangly man, tweaks to make the game play more like the arcade, etc). Here's the thread for the game.

Edited by BrianC

That's not completely accurate. It's a hack of the Ebivision Pac-Man that was turned into Pesco. I haven't played Pesco or the original Ebivision Pac-Man, but I read that a lot of changes were made to Hack'Em compared to the Ebivision Pac-Man (fast Pac-Man option, modes based on Pac-Man plus and hangly man, tweaks to make the game play more like the arcade, etc). Here's the thread for the game.

Thanks for clarifying. Is this link in the first post the latest version? It's dated 10/04/2006.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/55226-hackem-hangly-man-combined/?p=671473

• Like 1

Man, I was just playing this last night. It's really amazing! It's not arcade perfect, but it doesn't have to be with all the options this game has. Reminds me a lot of PMP's Pacman Collection which features a Plus Mode and Hangly Man. I really need to get this made. I may have to PM Nukey to see if he'll give Albert permission to burn me a cart, provided I can find suitable artwork.

Hack 'Em is incredible. Just wish Pac's travel speed was the same horizontally as it is vertically. Must be too difficult or impossible without starting from scratch, else Nukey would have addressed that by now?

I'm going to have to second this emotion. Hack 'Em is an eye-opening, Atari 2600 orgy of laughter, surprise, and enjoyment. May Nukey heed that praise. :)

• Like 2

Hack 'Em is incredible. Just wish Pac's travel speed was the same horizontally as it is vertically. Must be too difficult or impossible without starting from scratch, else Nukey would have addressed that by now?

I'm going to have to second this emotion. Hack 'Em is an eye-opening, Atari 2600 orgy of laughter, surprise, and enjoyment. May Nukey heed that praise. :)

This is only an illusion. The screen normally has a vertical aspect ratio and is stretched to the four corners of the TV screen, giving the illusion that Pacman is travelling faster horizontally. Compared to Pacman 4k in which the speed of pellet munching is obviously accelerated while traveling vertically, the rate of pellet eating in Hack 'em remains relatively constant whether traveling horizontally of vertically.

Just look at the pellets. Skinny little bars tightly spaced in the vertical domain and much more sparse in the horizontal domain. This is done out of necessity in all VCS Pacman clones due to the extreme aspect ratio of playfield pixels. If the aspect ratio of the maze on your television set were somehow constrained to a vertical 3:4 instead of the nearly 2:1 aspect of the actual maze embedded in a 4:3 frame, Pacman would appear to travel at nearly the same speed horizontally and vertically.

Both Hack 'Em and 4k are both a little off to be honest, but in opposite ways. "New Pacman for VCS" got it perfect. Hack 'Em is so cool due to it's excellent playability and extended replay value due to all the bonus variations. It is literally Pacman collection for the VCS.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

If the aspect ratio of the maze on your television set were somehow constrained to a vertical 3:4 instead of the nearly 2:1 aspect of the actual maze embedded in a 4:3 frame, Pacman would appear to travel at nearly the same speed horizontally and vertically.

You can try that in Stella. Press TAB, select Video Settings, then change the NTSC Aspect setting to 80:

post-3056-0-89081200-1437760234_thumb.png

post-3056-0-36490500-1437760242_thumb.png

Compared to 100 ( you'll need to click on them to better compare them)

post-3056-0-30785700-1437760448_thumb.png

• Like 2

IT would take a lot more squishing to get the vertical arcade orientation the game imitates.

It's possible. :)

After I wrote that I found out it was a funky side effect of my monitor not handling correctly any resolution less than 640x480 over DMI. Still, for this particular game it was a very nice side effect!

It's possible. :)

After I wrote that I found out it was a funky side effect of my monitor not handling correctly any resolution less than 640x480 over DMI. Still, for this particular game it was a very nice side effect!

post-6115-1159321630.jpg

That's exactly what I had in mind. :cool:

Hack 'Em is fairly proportional to the arcade at this aspect and Pacman would not appear to travel excessively fast in the horizontal direction.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, a new update available, also made a new video. :)

In this version I have now completed the routines of the "monsters" in the "home", in the video you can see this behavior (at 0:53 see "Clyde").

The "fright sound" now stops (deactivates the "fright mode") when Pacman eats 4 "ghost/monster" before the end of the "fright time".

I improved a little routine flicker (just a little), I tried to make the "inteligent flicker", although the kernel is already prepared for that, the problem is in the routine of "flicker sort" that has to be fast, just 500 cycles are available to do so (in a version "pal50" would have sufficient cycles for that).

Some changes in sound routine:

The intermission music now uses the two channels of sound, although not as arcade (I'll try later).

I changed a bit the tone and speed of sound "extralife" to make it more like the arcade.

And some other things in the sound. ;-)

pacman2600_8k_v5.bin

• Like 28