IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

Although time travel isn't possible within your own timeline, hundreds of us could still take some of these homebrews back and change the history of similar timelines. Imagine all the fun you could have poking the late 1970s or early 1980s and seeing what pops out the other side.

Dude, you've ripped the time-space continuum. Pacman was wildly successful. Atari, Nintendo, and Sega are still be making consoles today. Microsoft is just a crappy software firm that once dabbled and failed to market it's own console. Ditto for Sony being a crappy consumer electronics firm who once did likewise.

And instead of playing Halo and Call of Duty, modern gamers are reliving 3D FPS versions of Berserk and Robotron. And the latest Yars was nothing short of mesmerizing...

Funny video, well, the option of "turbo" already had planned to do on a screen "options", although it could do as suggested by stardust4ever, with the right difficulty switch for now. :)

I would like to have the option where turbo is on full-time i.e. I don't have to hold down the fire button the entire time to enable turbo.

I would like to have the option where turbo is on full-time i.e. I don't have to hold down the fire button the entire time to enable turbo.

I kinda want to agree with that. One issue with fast speed is sometimes I miss a turn more easily, although this is typically attributable to user error, as well occasionally hitting a diagonal when I didn't intend to. I need a dedicated 4-way, LOL! :P

More often than not, however, I'll press the turbo button and forget I'm still holding it down. Still it should be an option. Standard, Turbo, or button. Menus are hard to pull off in VCS, and could potentially interfere with the transition between title/attract mode and jumping right into gameplay as in the arcade, which is why I recommended utilising the difficulty switches. Left difficulty could perhaps be start lives (3 or 5) and right could be speed setting.

IMO, slow start speed is good for novice players, and those who need a faster game can just start on higher fruit. More important than Pacman's speed is the ratio of the ghosts' speed to Pacman's.

• Like 1

Ok, after playing both 4K & 8K on emulation with an Atari joystick, there is a huge difference in the feel and play of both games. I notice a difference on the length of time the ghosts stay blue after a power pellet is eaten. This and the control difference makes 8K the better game. While both are stunning graphically, the 8K plays way more like the arcade. So that is enough to keep me from buying the 4K from Atari age and wait patiently until 8K gets a cart release! :)

Ok, after playing both 4K & 8K on emulation with an Atari joystick, there is a huge difference in the feel and play of both games. I notice a difference on the length of time the ghosts stay blue after a power pellet is eaten. This and the control difference makes 8K the better game. While both are stunning graphically, the 8K plays way more like the arcade. So that is enough to keep me from buying the 4K from Atari age and wait patiently until 8K gets a cart release! :)

VCS Pacman is a turd; the less said about it, the better. :razz:

I felt the same way when I bought Pacman Arcade in the AA store. A hack of Ms Pacman to play like Pacman. At the time I didn't know hack 'em existed. (I'll get to that)

So in my mind Pacman Arcade = Good. :)

Then the real "Pacman 4k" homebrew drops. BTW, the store version has more polish than the original ROM variant but that's beside the point.

Pacman 4k = Awesome :D

So I'm browsing around and Dintar816 drops his special 8k Pacman and I look at my console and am like "what are you and what have you done with my VCS?" Also the audio is so stellar, you'd swear there was a Pokey or some other symphonic Voodoo inside. :o

Hack 'em and Ms Hack 'em are basically 16kb reworks of Pesco dressed up with plus mode and a bunch of cool stuff. It's the closest thing you'll get to PMP's stellar Pacman Collection on VCS, and hella fun, but isn't really any more accurate than the Pacman 4k. Comparing the two, they appear to be "off" in opposite kinda ways. Both variants have disproportionate horizontal to vertical speed ratios. Also I seriously doubt we'll see it on a cart since it's an elaborate hack of soneone else's homebrew.

Edited by stardust4ever

So that is enough to keep me from buying the 4K from Atari age and wait patiently until 8K gets a cart release! :)

In case there is any confusion, the 4K Pac-Man in this thread is not the same as Pac-Man 4K currently available in the AtariAge store.

stardust4ever's reply post doesn't make sense at the beginning.

When you say, after playing both 4K and 8K...

it unclear to which 4K you are referring.

4K Atari 1981

4K Debro 2008 forum rom

4K Debro 2008 store version (different than the forum rom)

4K Dintar816 2015

Of course the 8K Dintar816 is more accurate.

His 4K is about coming close with the 4K limitation.

His 8K is about making it play like the arcade original.

(The original Atari 1981 Pac-Man programmers asked for 8K but got denied.)

Edited by iesposta
  • Like 1

The PacMan 4k that I played and am talking about is the one offered here for download. The author is Dennis Debro. I wasn't aware there are other 4k versions. So contrary to what FujiSkunk said, it is the one offered in the AA store currently. I am just not sure if it's the store ROM or the forum ROM. Can anyone confirm this? Regardless, I am on the 8k bandwagon! :)

Edited by atarifan88

The PacMan 4k that I played and am talking about is the one offered here for download. The author is Dennis Debro. I wasn't aware there are other 4k versions. So contrary to what FujiSkunk said, it is the one offered in the AA store currently. I am just not sure if it's the store ROM or the forum ROM. Can anyone confirm this? Regardless, I am on the 8k bandwagon! :)

It's easier to just start at the beginning of this forum. Dintari wanted to keep a version withing the limitations of the original Atari offering, so he tweaked his version from scratch at the 4k size. That version is his maximized version at the original Atari Pac-Man size. He then branched off to do his improved 8K version. Better music, AI, flicker routines, etc.

I THINK somebody outlined the history of ALL the versions somewhere in the middle of this forum.

There are a lot of derailments in this thread, but they are all interesting and for the love of Pac-Man/Atari.

It's good reading.

Just to make it clear, that download link for Dennis Debro's 4K Pac-Man is not the final version sold at AtariAge.

That final rom has not been shared.

The source code has been shared, so it is possible to make your own Dennis Debro's 4K Pac-Man rom.

Regardless, I'm on both bandwagons! (Dintar816's 4K and 8K Pac-Man games.)

Just to make it clear, that download link for Dennis Debro's 4K Pac-Man is not the final version sold at AtariAge.

The source code has been shared, so it is possible to make your own Dennis Debro's 4K Pac-Man rom.

Can anyone point me to where I can download Dintar816's 4K version of PacMan? I would love to try it.

Can anyone point me to where I can download Dintar816's 4K version of PacMan? I would love to try it.

Go to the very first post in this topic.

Quickest way to do that is hit the « button:

post-3056-0-36623300-1440524297_thumb.png

It's also located at the bottom of the page, so you don't have to scroll all the way up.

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1010

Edited by stardust4ever

No, what I said was the 4K Pac-Man in this thread, that is, the one programmed by Dintar816, is not the same as the one available in the AtariAge store, which is programmed by Dennis Debro.

The rom linked in post 959 is not the game you have linked to in the store.

They are both by Dennis Debro, the one in the store is a final version of the rom linked in post 959.

Play the rom linked in post 959, then watch the video in the AtariAge Store. They are different.

Both of these were surpassed by DINTAR816's 4k version, the last of which even plays on the Supercharger and has all 3 cut scenes.

Finally, DINTAR816 is working on an 8K version, which plays and sounds even closer to the arcade Pac-Man.

The rom linked in post 959 is not the game you have linked to in the store.

They are both by Dennis Debro, the one in the store is a final version of the rom linked in post 959.

Play the rom linked in post 959, then watch the video in the AtariAge Store. They are different.

Both of these were surpassed by DINTAR816's 4k version, the last of which even plays on the Supercharger and has all 3 cut scenes.

Finally, DINTAR816 is working on an 8K version, which plays and sounds even closer to the arcade Pac-Man.

I am well aware it is not Dintar816's version. Someone asked about the official Packman 4k (which doesn't have a ROM release) and I pointed to the store. Dintar816 is of course better, 4k or 8k. I hope the 8k version lands itself in the tore at some point because it is hands down the best VCS pacman ever made! :D

• Like 1

Go to the very first post in this topic.

Quickest way to do that is hit the « button:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-08-25 at 12.37.12 PM.png

It's also located at the bottom of the page, so you don't have to scroll all the way up.

I had not edited the first post for some time, and there was not the latest version of 4k (and 8k). It is done. :)

• Like 6

IMO, slow start speed is good for novice players, and those who need a faster game can just start on higher fruit. More important than Pacman's speed is the ratio of the ghosts' speed to Pacman's.

I agree, I usually start on the first apple wave. The earlier stages just seem too slow for me. If you went to an arcade in the USA where I grew up in Oklahoma and Texas in the 80's most Pac-Man machines were set to play on the highest speed like on this video (starting at :25)

Great job Dinar!!! One comment on the cut scenes music, have the harmony notes play in a lower key like on the opening theme.

Edited by WildBillTX

Some machines were set so that Pac-Man travels the exact same speed as the "monster eyes"...so that pac-man always moves at lightning speed and the monsters at their typical speed.

While that mode is very FUN (as well as Ms. Pac-Man fast mode), it isn't the default regular speed.

To really see "Cruise Elroy", pac-man needs to be overtaken by Blinky. In the fast dipswitch setting, you never get to see that exciting situation at the end of stages.

If you always played on the fast setting, I fear you were missing out on awesome parts of the game, and the challenge. Fast mode Ms. Pac-man does get challenging eventually (on the stages where energizers no longer work).

But, *cough*, back on topic! Dintar's pac-man RULEZZZ!!

Some machines were set so that Pac-Man travels the exact same speed as the "monster eyes"...so that pac-man always moves at lightning speed and the monsters at their typical speed.

While that mode is very FUN (as well as Ms. Pac-Man fast mode), it isn't the default regular speed.

To really see "Cruise Elroy", pac-man needs to be overtaken by Blinky. In the fast dipswitch setting, you never get to see that exciting situation at the end of stages.

If you always played on the fast setting, I fear you were missing out on awesome parts of the game, and the challenge. Fast mode Ms. Pac-man does get challenging eventually (on the stages where energizers no longer work).

But, *cough*, back on topic! Dintar's pac-man RULEZZZ!!

I was never a fan of the turbo speeds. Weird but I used to die faster on fast mode than normal mode. Not anymore but speeding Pacman without speeding the ghosts is cheap.

I played many years of regular pacman & ms. pacman. And later I played a lot of turbo Ms. Pacman.. the challenge is different obviously but I 100% disagree that it's "cheap" because as mentioned you eventually get to a point where ghosts no longer turn blue. If you played it in depth though what made it really challenging is trying to beat your score.. I think I would make it to 200-300k on a turbo machine if I tried really hard, but getting to 400k for me was just never done, although I tried. Not only because the fruits were random (no more consistent 5000 point goodies), but more rather. I simply didn't have the focus and endurance to avoid ghosts 100% consistently with a fast pac, without power pellets in the mix :lol:

On that note where Turbo pacman and regular speed ghosts makes COMPLETE SENSE is in Jr. Pacman. :) The game is so much more improved with that one change and it gets really fun without losing challenge. Just saying

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1