IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

Funny video, well, the option of "turbo" already had planned to do on a screen "options", although it could do as suggested by stardust4ever, with the right difficulty switch for now. :)

I think also add an option of "fast mode" where all (pacman and monster / ghost) will move faster.

The "fast cornernering" still pending, to do so I have to change some things (eg routine "collision with the maze"), but not impossible to do. :-D

Turbo! :-o

• 3 weeks later...

This 8K version of Pac-Man is excellent, the best I've seen for the Atari 2600. However, is there any way to tone down the constant siren sound, i.e., either make it quieter relative to the rest of the sound effects, or lower its frequency, or something? I can play arcade Pac-Man without its constant siren bothering me, but the siren in this (and all other 2600 Pac-Man hacks/homebrews that have the siren sound) is ear-piercing.

If anyone like me to do this I could go back and redo my older label art on Pac-Man Arcade to fit on this where seem no one had used it yet but to redo the line and vector art on it. I hadn drew this with a mouse many years ago to fit with the old classic 2600 label art style.

post-5587-0-01612400-1443680839_thumb.jpg

post-5587-0-61040600-1443680844_thumb.jpg

Edited by Atariboy2600
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Everything seems almost perfect in this version. The sound, the graphics, and animations all look very good. It’s as close to the arcade as anybody could probably get on the Atari 2600. ...

Except this 8K version is not final. I agree with everything else.

The last posted 4K version in this thread is considered final. It has arcade-matching monster ghost movement with individual behaviors, start tune, plus all 3 cut screen animations. (Way more than I ever dreamed possible in a 4K version.)

I would buy both the 4K and 8K versions as they are now, however, the 8K version plans to have the "turning corners speed up" if he can program it in.

The arcade game speeds your player up when turning corners and lets you get away from monster ghosts that are faster than your speed.

He also mentioned re-doing the cut scene music even better. (Currently it is brilliant and beyond what I expected.)

The 8K version, apart from the attract / title screen, looks like his 4K version but improves on almost everything in sound, music, graphics and game play.

This is why the original should have been given 8K like Atari 2600's Asteroids already had. Atari licensed a very hot title and even though they assembled more Pac-Man carts than they sold, just coming out with a "maze eat dots" game called Pac-Man was enough to make it a sell millions.

Had it been closer to the arcade version their customers would have become more loyal to the Atari brand quality. Whereas the other big names, Activision, Imagic, Parker Bros. continued to release high quality game play titles with their pushing-the-system graphics, Atari began to slip in gameplay and graphics, and when added to all the poor crap games flooding the market, consumers moved on to computers or other game systems.

Myself and my two younger brothers were glad we could play Pac-Man at home, and we played it a lot, even if initially is was a huge disappointing letdown and had poor game play and horrible sound and colors.

• Like 3

If anyone like me to do this I could go back and redo my older label art on Pac-Man Arcade to fit on this where seem no one had used it yet but to redo the line and vector art on it. I hadn drew this with a mouse many years ago to fit with the old classic 2600 label art style.

Looks great, but just my opinion: think the Pac-Man type on the label should be larger than Arcade Edition. Pac-Man larger and atop of Arcade Edition which could be smaller and maybe off to the right slightly. Or could be centered. Just think Pac-Man as a title should be larger, especially for this particular effort. :love:

Even if Atari had made a 'good' 8k version, you still need a DINTAR816 to make it great. :)

Agreed 100%.

But I can dream that given 8K it would have allowed intelligent flicker, and I would hope better graphics and sound.

I don't thik at that time anything had an elaborate title screen, some Asteroids have "Atari 1981" title screen, but at 8K they could have added intermissions. Then they would need the tune music.

Hi, I've been working doing tests on some routines to make the "objects" can move faster (up to twice) to make the "options" of "fast" and "turbo" and also the fast corner (more easy to do), I'll leave that for later.

For now I'll put this little update to see if it can be shown in the PRGE. :-D
In this version I added the hi_score, shown in a different color during the demo / title screen, by now a fixed color, but then I'll make it show a different color depending on the score (10,000 or more: orange, 20000 or more: red, 50000 or more: purple, etc). :)

In the next update I will put versions of PAL and PAL60. ;-)

pacman2600_8k_v5b.bin

• Like 11

Hi, I've been working doing tests on some routines to make the "objects" can move faster (up to twice) to make the "options" of "fast" and "turbo" and also the fast corner (more easy to do), I'll leave that for later.

For now I'll put this little update to see if it can be shown in the PRGE. :-D

In this version I added the hi_score, shown in a different color during the demo / title screen, by now a fixed color, but then I'll make it show a different color depending on the score (10,000 or more: orange, 20000 or more: red, 50000 or more: purple, etc). :)

In the next update I will put versions of PAL and PAL60. ;-)

Will definitely fire up the Harmony cart this weekend, if I can set aside some time off from working on my "ultimate" joystick project (7 systems in 1: Atari/SMS/Genesis, NES/SNES, TurboGrafx, USB/MAME) :cool:

I'd can't wait to see how corner cutting pans out... :grin:

Edited by stardust4ever

Will definitely fire up the Harmony cart this weekend, if I can set aside some time off from working on my "ultimate" joystick project (7 systems in 1: Atari/SMS/Genesis, NES/SNES, TurboGrafx, USB/MAME) :cool:

I'd can't wait to see how corner cutting pans out... :grin:

Scored 30100 points, my best yet! :D

post-33189-0-73596500-1445288037_thumb.jpg

Most of that score was from gobbling keys though. I got kinda lucky. Started on the key level. Made it to the third key stage. Sometimes playing straight I make it to the first Apple and achieve mid 20,000s. Very rarely I trigger the 2nd intermission... :P

I also played some Pacman on my Raspberry Pi MAME earlier. The corner cutting effect is subtle even in the original arcade. Can't wait to see if you get this implemented properly. :thumbsup:

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 2

Here's a video I took at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo last weekend of Tod Frye talking about Pac-Man 8K:

..Al

Awesome, glad the audio was clear!

The other real interesting thing he said about Pac-Man prior to the video start was that being in the pioneer days, it never occurred to him at the time to just do a single player version, two player forced him into having to keep track of the state of two mazes of dots status. If he had thought of just doing a single player game he would have had enough time to produce a vastly different game.

• Like 2