IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

The maze color blue is adjustable with a difficulty switch, darker being more arcade accurate.

Cherry and Strawberry level indicators are a single sprite but the tops are a different color than the red fruit part. There aren't pink/white dots on them or both player sprites. You must be seeing a display chroma bleed possibly?

Somehow I doubt it's chroma bleed. There are definitely white dots on the strawberry as far as I can tell. See also this macro shot of my mom's CRT screen:

post-33189-0-45172100-1446098574_thumb.jpg

The in game sprite has black dots on it but the dots are definitely white on the bottom of the screen. Bleed or not, those fruit sprites sure do look delicious! :D

EDIT: Well I'll be darned; you were right... :P

post-33189-0-47911200-1446099329_thumb.png

• Like 1

White dots like that wouldn't be possible on the 2600, at least not in combination with the other graphics on the same horizontal, unless flicker was involved.

Yeah, I verified the ROM with Stella. The dots are actually black. Still, you gotta admit, the "white" dots look amazing on my mom's CRT. You can't fake something like that... ;-)

Yeah, I verified the ROM with Stella. The dots are actually black. Still, you gotta admit, the "white" dots look amazing on my mom's CRT. You can't fake something like that... ;-)

That's the beauty of the NTSC "smear" and why these games usually look like ass on anything but a CRT. :love:

• Like 5

This "Pac-Man 8K" is about to surpass "The Official Frogger" as the A+ greatest overall top Atari 2600 game of all time.

Gameplay overall: A+

Graphics: A

Sound: A+

Music: A

Title screen: A+

Attention to details: A+

3 intermission screens: A+

Game options: A+

High score: A

Intelligent flicker: A+

Arcade faithful play: A+

High score table with initials: Please? I will pay more!

Corner turning evasion advantage. (Being worked on)

High speed player option (Being worked on)

Is there anything this game is missing or needs?

• Like 8

...and a "Coming Soon!" place holder in the AA store. :lol:

There's never any placeholders in the AA store. A couple times in the past Albert had the titles visible but no links (I started with the most recently added store item and added 1 to the item number in the url) and I discovered the list of games based on the page titles even though they weren't available for viewing. I posted about my discoveries and then the entries were changed to "no games for you." :P

I think it's public info at this point what games are coming out. We just have to sit tight and wait. New Pacman obviously isn't quite done yet until Dintar816 adds a final coat of polish to the ROM.

• Like 2

There's never any placeholders in the AA store... ...isn't quite done yet until Dintar816 adds a final coat of polish to the ROM.

Yeah, yeah, yeah… of course! :)

BTW: Anyone else looking forward to Dintar816 re-doing Ms. Pac-Man? I know I am! :lol:

...with DK Arcade on the horizon too, feels like Christmas 1982 all over again. :love:

Yeah, yeah, yeah… of course! :)

BTW: Anyone else looking forward to Dintar816 re-doing Ms. Pac-Man? I know I am! :lol:

...with DK Arcade on the horizon too, feels like Christmas 1982 all over again. :love:

I'll prolley have a nerdgasm and need to change my pants if Dintar remakes Ms Pacman. :lust:

• Like 2

Ms. Pacman ?, perhaps later, after finishing plumber bros (mario bros). :grin:

This "Pac-Man 8K" is about to surpass "The Official Frogger" as the A+ greatest overall top Atari 2600 game of all time.
Gameplay overall: A+
Graphics: A
Sound: A+
Music: A
Title screen: A+

Attention to details: A+
3 intermission screens: A+
Game options: A+
High score: A
Intelligent flicker: A+
Arcade faithful play: A+

High score table with initials: Please? I will pay more!
Corner turning evasion advantage. (Being worked on)
High speed player option (Being worked on)

Is there anything this game is missing or needs?

High score table with initials ?, could do, something like "Juno First" and using the save key ?.
The Intelligent flicker still not implemented yet, I'm thinking how to do it without using many cycles. Although it could do a version pal50 as would have more cycles (about 20 lines more, or about 1500 cycles more) to do that. ;-)
Well, right now I get about 1000 free bytes in ROM, to do various things, such as options screen, I will add later. And maybe can make fruits with 2 layers of color (perhaps using the missile ?). ;-)
  • Like 5

The Intelligent flicker still not implemented yet, I'm thinking how to do it without using many cycles. Although it could do a version pal50 as would have more cycles (about 20 lines more, or about 1500 cycles more) to do that. ;-)

High score table with initials ?, could do, something like "Juno First" and using the save key ?.

Your 8K HAS intelligent flicker! A+ for that!

That is where monsters go solid when not on the same horizontal.

The only improvement to that is when flicker starts, increase the luma because flickering makes them transparent AND darker.

I suggested this, and SpiceWare lovinging termed it Lumaboost™ (I think). It is used in Stay Frosty 2.

Your 4K does NOT HAVE intelligent flicker. Everything flickers at a constant rate.

Ms. Pacman ?, perhaps later, after finishing plumber bros (mario bros). :grin:

Well, right now I get about 1000 free bytes in ROM, to do various things, such as options screen, I will add later. And maybe can make fruits with 2 layers of color (perhaps using the missile ?). ;-)

I'm down for the Save Key support in any game that wants to use it. I need more excuses to pull out my AtariVox. Would it only store one score or would each fruit get it's own score? If you can slug through a few key stages and get lucky with the fruit, it boost the score a lot.

Also I'm aware the strawberries are not multicolor, but they sure look that way using RF on a CRT screen... 8)

So far I have played the 8k Pac-man on a 7800, a Sears heavy sixer, a Sears light sixer and Flashback 2. It plays great on all of them. Only thing I noticed is some unusual characters display on title screen when played on Flashback 2. See photo. Not sure how many people would even notice that.

Oh, I also made it past 100k. What a joy to play this game.

post-37734-0-89176800-1447021336_thumb.jpg

Only thing I noticed is some unusual characters display on title screen when played on Flashback 2. See photo. Not sure how many people would even notice that.

Oh, I also made it past 100k. What a joy to play this game.

attachicon.gifIMG_20151108_150236.jpg

The flashback 2 is not a 100% substitute for a 2600. I ran into similar issues before (hitting RESP0 and RESP1 mid line), and most of the time there is nothing that can be done.

The flashback 2 is not a 100% substitute for a 2600. I ran into similar issues before (hitting RESP0 and RESP1 mid line), and most of the time there is nothing that can be done.

Yep. In this case it doesn't bother game play at all. No big deal if it can't be fixed.

The timing is off on the Flashbacks. If he fixed the ROM for Flashback 2, the original console would be glitched up.

Also nice score SIO2! :D :thumbsup:

If you're worried about space why not up the cart to 16k or is it about how much you can stuff neatly in the smallest package possible? Just curious.

Yep, that's exactly what it's all about. Working within the confines of what they had to work with BITD. It's why the 4K version is so amazing. When I say confines, talking about ROM space. Not the time constraints, management hassles and office politics that Tod Frye dealt with.