IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

• 2 weeks later...

Please add the "Cornering Speedup" so it plays 100% like the arcade game.

Please? I hate to see this masterpiece end at 99.5% (my opinion).

The gameplay in this 8K version is the best arcade to 2600 conversion yet!

And the sound from the "limited harsh TIA chip" is the best I've heard, copying the original at a level I never thought possible.

It's even better than Starpath's very accurate "The Official Frogger" 8K Supercharger game.

Stellar graphics with the 2600's limitations.

Gameplay is where the 2600 can surpass other newer systems, and this delivers!

Playing this, you quickly forget the wide display because it is as challenging and exciting as the arcade.

Amazing you originally got it all in 4K (faithful translation with cut scenes, considering compromises).

Even if you used 16K or 32K or 64K, I don't see anything else that is missing.

Thanks for sharing your masterpiece!

• Like 4

I said that too and then Champ Games came out with Scramble for the 2600. They are both great games for sure it would be difficult for me to choose.

I have two 7800 Scramble versions by Robert DeCrescenzo on cart. The original cart from the programmer, and the updated scrolling edge masked version on the PMP Collection Cart.

Then again, like you said, it's Champ Games!

Just a heads up: the Tengen Ms Pacman ports for NES and Genesis allow this mode! Player 2 plays as the original Pacman I believe. :thumbsup:

Yep, all with a scrolling maze too. No thanks! :thumbsdown:

Bob's got a 2-player simultaneous Ms. Pac-Man on the 7800 (done right, no scrolling BS) that needs to be released someday. :love:

Too bad that DINTAR816 has not written here in this thread for a long time. Would be interesting to know, if he still works on this title and if he maybe plans to make a PAL60 port too, because this Pacman version really plays very well in STELLA. Would be great, when PAL-users could play it on their Atari-consoles in the correct colors too. Or maybe i should suggest this Pacman version in the PAL60-thread for converting?

Edited by AW127

Too bad that DINTAR816 has not written here in this thread for a long time. Would be interesting to know, if he still works on this title and if he maybe plans to make a PAL60 port too, because this Pacman version really plays very well in STELLA. Would be great, when PAL-users could play it on their Atari-consoles in the correct colors too. Or maybe i should suggest this Pacman version in the PAL60-thread for converting?

He updated the ROM not terribly long ago. I checked his profile: Last login, June 1st. You have nothing to worry about. Sprybug disappeared for a month once while working on Princess Rescue. Some people have lives outside the forum; give the guy his space... :roll:

Yep, all with a scrolling maze too. No thanks! :thumbsdown:

Bob's got a 2-player simultaneous Ms. Pac-Man on the 7800 (done right, no scrolling BS) that needs to be released someday. :love:

The scrolling in Ms Pacman NES/SNES/Genesis is not all bad. It's the Game Boy variants that are unacceptable, although you can use tiny dot mode but that makes them extremely hard to see on a DMG. There is a small amount of vertical scrolling on the NES and Genesis ports, but nothing that makes you die. The horizontal scrolling on the Game Boy ports was suicide if you took the warps on the blown up versions. Also on NES you have the option to choose "Mini" for the maze type which generates smallish mazes that do not scroll offscreen.

Also Bob is working on scrolling mazes for his "320" 7800 ports, so not everyone thinks a small amount of scrolling is bad. Jr Pacman scrolled even in the arcades!

Some people have lives outside the forum; give the guy his space... :roll:

Living outside the forum is not allowed, look inside the forum-rules. They can even take away all your Ataris for this. :) Seriously, seems like the last version is 8k-v5, which plays superb and has this nice intro. The latest 4k-version exists as NTSC, PAL and PAL60 rom. Hope that DINTAR816 will do the same to latest 8k version when he returns.

• Like 1

For me, for the 8K version to be 5 stars, top #1 game of all time, it just needs the cornering speedup.

That will match the arcade game and that's 100%.

The very end of the final game is the hardest.

I see by his last comments he wants to fill everyone's suggestions.

That can lead to stress and make things not fun, and cause the need to set it aside for a while.

Fast speed arcade mod chips were things added to the already finished game.

Some like to play Pac-Man that faster way, some are fine without options.

Also "options" "faster" "easy/normal" "turbo" leads to coding a menu select screen, etc.

Just my view.

• Like 1

Living outside the forum is not allowed, look inside the forum-rules. They can even take away all your Ataris for this. :) Seriously, seems like the last version is 8k-v5, which plays superb and has this nice intro. The latest 4k-version exists as NTSC, PAL and PAL60 rom. Hope that DINTAR816 will do the same to latest 8k version when he returns.

I know your post is partly in jest, but seriously. His last login was June 1st. Give him a break, geeze! When there's something to post, he will let you know. Last thing anyone needs is a bunch of whiney stalkers. More good developers get chased away due to people like that... :mad:

I know your post is partly in jest, but seriously. His last login was June 1st. Give him a break, geeze! When there's something to post, he will let you know. Last thing anyone needs is a bunch of whiney stalkers. More good developers get chased away due to people like that... :mad:

I can perfectly agree with you. I understand this is a rather revolutionary port of Pacman for the 2600, believe me. I've tried Nukey Shay's hack, but this is the best. As stated before by several users of AA, "Shut up and take my money!"

As stated before by several users of AA, "Shut up and take my money!"

That may be the right attitude for a collector, but the wrong one for a developer. And unlike real business, in a hobby money cannot dictate everything. Which is very good.

There is a reason, why the game has not been released. The developer is not completely done with it, he thinks it could become even better. And that is the ONLY reason that counts.

• Like 9

Who is winey or complaining, when i ask for an update of a nearly one year old version? And v5 is from August 2015. I think, it`s not a crime to ask or to wonder, why DINTAR816 has not written here anything in the thread since a really long time. So i had the fear, that he stopped the project, therefore i asked.

The 8k version5 is very good by the way. And for me, this can even be the final version. Plays superb and i don`t see anything to complain about in this version. Only thing that`s missing, is a version with the correct colors for PAL-users. Not only NTSC-users wants to play this on their real consoles, also people from PAL-countries wants to do this. That`s all.

Edited by AW127
  • Like 1

Hello, after a long time (about 7 months since the last version) here is a new update.
These are the changes:

1. Now the "hi sccore" is only on the title screen.

2 .The function of the switches has changed: "reset" = reset to the title screen, "select" = select level, and now only with "fire" starts the game.

3. Added a "pause" function (with "fire").

4. A change in the "chase / scatter timer". (now there are 3 "tables" like the arcade: the first at level 1, the second at level 2 and the last from level 5).

5. A change in "flicker" routine (more optimized and simplified).

and some other optimizations (especially in the kernel).

This time I included the "pal" and "pal60" versions. :)

pacman2600_8k_V6.bin

pacman2600_8k_V6_PAL60.bin

pacman2600_8k_V6_PAL.bin

• Like 28

Hello, after a long time (about 7 months since the last version) here is a new update.

These are the changes:

1. Now the "hi sccore" is only on the title screen.

2 .The function of the switches has changed: "reset" = reset to the title screen, "select" = select level, and now only with "fire" starts the game.

3. Added a "pause" function (with "fire").

4. A change in the "chase / scatter timer". (now there are 3 "tables" like the arcade: the first at level 1, the second at level 2 and the last from level 5).

5. A change in "flicker" routine (more optimized and simplified).

and some other optimizations (especially in the kernel).

This time I included the "pal" and "pal60" versions. :)

Thank you! This is an excellent port as always, Dintar!

Played the v6-version in the last minutes and it`s very interesting to see, that you even speed-adjusted the normal PAL-version. Right?

I stopped the time, that Pac-Man needs to run from one side to the other and it`s the same in the PAL50 version like in the other two versions. Good work, so the normal PAL version plays exactly the same like the other versions. The only difference is, that the picture in the normal PAL-version is a little bit smaller than in the NTSC and the PAL60 roms. This speed-adjusting of the normal PAL-version is cool.

Here i have a question - is the PAL60 version made out of the NTSC version and you then changed the colors? Or you go the different way and first produced the normal PAL version and then make the screen bigger? Which way is better to go for a programmer, i suppose the first one?

And i must admit, that until now i didn`t knew, that Pac-Man runs a little bit slower, when he eats dots and that he runs a little bit faster when he runs a way, where all dots are already gone. I always thought, he runs in the same speed all the time. But when i stopped the time some minutes ago, i could see this little difference. I suppose, it`s the same in the arcade-original? Interesting interesting. ;)

Finally, even when there are alot of good Pac-Man versions available now on the Atari-2600, i like this 8k Pac-Man version here the most.

Edited by AW127
  • Like 1

And i must admit, that until now i didn`t knew, that Pac-Man runs a little bit slower, when he eats dots and that he runs a little bit faster when he runs a way, where all dots are already gone. I always thought, he runs in the same speed all the time. But when i stopped the time some minutes ago, i could see this little difference. I suppose, it`s the same in the arcade-original? Interesting interesting. ;)

That's why NTSC is superior... :P