IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

Wow! everything time I see this Pac-Man 8K it's overly better than the previous version. DINTAR816 really loves Pac-Man to achieve each time new levels of perfection.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: <--- there are no enough of these icons to express my amazement.

• Like 4

NTSC is indeed superior. Don't ask why. It just is..

So it has nothing to do with dot-eating, because you answered to the sentence where i wrote about this.

And generally to the differennt versions of this game - i dont see any difference to the NTSC version, when i play the PAL60 version here. Same screensize, same speed and very similar colors in this case. So why should NTSC be superior? :)

Too bad that DINTAR816 has not written here in this thread for a long time. Would be interesting to know, if he still works on this title and if he maybe plans to make a PAL60 port too, because this Pacman version really plays very well in STELLA. Would be great, when PAL-users could play it on their Atari-consoles in the correct colors too. Or maybe i should suggest this Pacman version in the PAL60-thread for converting?

Should have waited a couple more days before posting... ;-)

So it has nothing to do with dot-eating, because you answered to the sentence where i wrote about this.

And generally to the differennt versions of this game - i dont see any difference to the NTSC version, when i play the PAL60 version here. Same screensize, same speed and very similar colors in this case. So why should NTSC be superior? :)

NTSC as a standard seems (to me) to have more vibrant and varied colors. A wider gamut.

• Like 1

Actually, PAL is the better technique, that produces better picture-quality. Look for example here: http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/how-tos/buying-selling/the-difference-between-ntsc-and-pal.html

But when it comes to retro-consoles, there is often the problem, that the games came from NTSC-countries and the game-companys fool the PAL-users when they often don`t adjust the PAL-versions correctly, which leads to less speed and smaller picture in many games. Maybe they thought, most of these users don`t have a direct comparison how the NTSC-versions plays and will not complain, which was true before emulators come.

I remember my european "Sonic the Hedgehog" cartridge in the early 90`s on my PAL-Megadrive and i always thought, it`s such a superb game. But then, after some years, the emulator-time comes and i played the game on my PC and the first time with 60FPS and the bigger screen. From this point on, my PAL-Sonic-cartridge played like slowmotion for me. So when it comes to retro-consoles, NTSC dominates.

But the complete opposite you have on retro-computers like Amiga or C-64. Here PAL dominates and NTSC users have all the problems. Many good demos or games don`t run correctly on their NTSC systems, because these software was written for PAL machines.

This thing with the different screenformats, makes problems since so many years now.

• Like 1

Also should I add that NTSC has a higher frame rate of 30 fps?

Since the bandwidth is identical to PAL, this is achieved at the cost of vertical screen resolution. PAL60 has the higher framerate and lower vertical resolution combined.

But PAL has a technical advantage, since it allows a more stable color signal. Due to this, it never needed a tint control.

Actually, PAL is the better technique, that produces better picture-quality. Look for example here: http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/how-tos/buying-selling/the-difference-between-ntsc-and-pal.html

But when it comes to retro-consoles, there is often the problem, that the games came from NTSC-countries and the game-companys fool the PAL-users when they often don`t adjust the PAL-versions correctly, which leads to less speed and smaller picture in many games. Maybe they thought, most of these users don`t have a direct comparison how the NTSC-versions plays and will not complain, which was true before emulators come.

I remember my european "Sonic the Hedgehog" cartridge in the early 90`s on my PAL-Megadrive and i always thought, it`s such a superb game. But then, after some years, the emulator-time comes and i played the game on my PC and the first time with 60FPS and the bigger screen. From this point on, my PAL-Sonic-cartridge played like slowmotion for me. So when it comes to retro-consoles, NTSC dominates.

But the complete opposite you have on retro-computers like Amiga or C-64. Here PAL dominates and NTSC users have all the problems. Many good demos or games don`t run correctly on their NTSC systems, because these software was written for PAL machines.

This thing with the different screenformats, makes problems since so many years now.

Commodore may have been based in Europe. (I googled to no avail.) If it weren't I would still understand. It is an early computer. I'm sure coding games from PAL to NTSC and vice versa may have been near impossible. It may have been an Impossible Mission. (Sorry.) Edited by BuyAllTheCarts

Since the bandwidth is identical to PAL, this is achieved at the cost of vertical screen resolution. PAL60 has the higher framerate and lower vertical resolution combined.

But PAL has a technical advantage, since it allows a more stable color signal. Due to this, it never needed a tint control.

I would have missed such a control when I was a kid. I got bored of the colors and I'd adjust it to something different. Shortly thereafter I had barrels of laughs pissing off the parents when I'd adjust it to be green faces and purple grass!

• Like 1

I've never had to adjust the tint controls on my CRT sets. Ever since crystal oscillators could lock a frequency to 5 digits of accuracy, the color drift became a non-issue. Drift was only an issue on the earliest of color TVs.

SECAM is a political standard. France who developed it, wanted to get independent from foreign technology and protect its own industry. And it was sold cheap to the Eastern Block to spread the system and to make friends with the USSR. Besides France you find the system mainly only in former French colonies.

Technically PAL is clearly better, so after the fall of the iron curtain, the Eastern Block (except for Russia) switched to PAL.

Wiki shows most of Europe as using PAL, while SECAM is in France, Russia, parts of Africa, etc.

800px-PAL-NTSC-SECAM.svg.png

thats because the Wiki doesnt have full confirmation

look at the Key again is says PAL or SECAM and orange is SECAM confirmed

UK defo is PAL and so is Australia with parts of China also PAL

Pakistan and india don't have a standard actually but its common to use PAL, every TV there is actually multi adn will handle PAL/NTSC/SECAM/CableTV/UHF/VHF/FM which is a little over kill but they are mostly manufactured in china so its cheap anyway

the rest of the blue areas the wiki has made a calculated guess from other wiki info they find

dont forget the wiki is user based so mistakes are common and you need to take it with a pinch of salt