IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

Phosphor mode fixed the ghastly thing, but the pellet dislocation is still here. Attatching a zipped save state (EDIT: For Stella), just made this a second ago. And for Keatah, the game runs in about 600 fps on my android, so definitely not any faster at 300. The game effect will only take place in regular play, it can not be paused. (makes it very hard to achieve) The "jibberish crap" will actually prevent you from getting all the pellets to pass it, so no. Can someone peek in the code and see what system is used for tracking when all pellets are eaten? (i.e. {when maze.pellet = 0 then next level} or {when 127 maze.pellet is eaten then next level}

pacman2600_8k_V6.zip

Edited by Appadeia

I've been reading this thread recently, and I am seriously impressed! However, I found a semi-major/semi-minor bug. When you play for an extended duration (about 1 week of continuous playing), the game starts to break down.

How are you continuously playing this for 1 week? :)

As for the stella, maybe you can film the bug tripping?

• Like 1

Sorry for taking a while, but I was enjoying a game of Bubble Symphony...

@Omegamatrix

Not everyone has recording software, so don't ass-u-me. :)

EDIT: Also, I impromptu-programmed a bot that would play this game for 1 week as definitely thorough testing for bug scanning to help the creator (We can all bug scan for him :3 ) :)

@Keatah

Yup. :)

Edited by Appadeia

@Omegamatrix My bad

G'night, going to sleep & do stuff in the morning. (On an irrelevant topic, have you tried out Bubble Symphony? If you haven't you are missing out on a lot. At least listen to the soundtrack :3)

Thank you @SpiceWare! Now here is the picture recreated in Stella. Couldn't capture the thing, but it is there. Also, the score is an arbitrary number (maybe a random region in memory?), but at least I can show off the Pac-Man skills I (don't) have to my parents... This is the NTSC rom, fyi.

I have a 4.2Ghz Bulldozer CPU. Is there a way to disable framerate lock in Stella and just let it saturate the CPU core? Stella only pulls a fraction of a percent in Task Manager. I'm sure if leaving the game run for weeks will produce this glitch, it will corrupt within a couple hours on a 4.2Ghz CPU core. Perhaps pin Stella to CPU #7 and realtime thread priority...

Phosphor mode fixed the ghastly thing, but the pellet dislocation is still here. Attatching a zipped save state (EDIT: For Stella), just made this a second ago. And for Keatah, the game runs in about 600 fps on my android, so definitely not any faster at 300. The game effect will only take place in regular play, it can not be paused. (makes it very hard to achieve) The "jibberish crap" will actually prevent you from getting all the pellets to pass it, so no. Can someone peek in the code and see what system is used for tracking when all pellets are eaten? (i.e. {when maze.pellet = 0 then next level} or {when 127 maze.pellet is eaten then next level}

Wait, you played for "weeks"? If this is an actual killscreen caused by a week of non-stop play, then by all means leave this bug in! Give those marathon runners something to look forward too... :grin:

EDIT: Sorry for being such a n00b. Where the hey do I place the save state file? I'm using windows 7 PRo 64 btw.

Have you tried Bandicam? That's one of the programs I have listed on my useful software page:

randomterrain.com/rt-useful-software-and-addons.html

It's the only software that didn't bog my Stella down to crap. And I TECHNICALLY have a 2.4 GHz AMD A-6. Anything else basically makes it unplayable. Edited by BuyAllTheCarts

@Kosmic Stardust,
The default location for states is the AppData\Roaming\Stella folder.
Or in some cases Roaming\AppData\Stella.
The folder will be located in your user's folder, i.e. C:\Users\StellaUser\AppData\Roaming\Stella

Edited by Appadeia
  • Like 1

This is the dope ass freshness! Has anyone made any appropriately epic box/cart art for this?

Not yet is my guess.

DINTAR816 still plans to add a few gameplay improvements and maybe a fast speedup option, also possibly a normal/faster option that sounded not as extreme as the speedup version.

The current version is, in my opinion, the most faithful of arcade to 2600 games. Up there with Champ Games Lady Bug & Scramble, and Starpath's The Official Frogger. All definitely worth buying a physical cartridge to support the author and AtariAge!

I suggested (and submitted) a more NäMč0-like score font, rather than the plain Atari number font.

Maybe that will make it into the final game?

• Like 1

Looks good, but a little bit to much yellow in my opinion. Yellow background, yellow logo and Pac-Man itself is also yellow of course. :)

I played a little bit with the background here to give an impression how it would look in different colors:

post-41260-0-01516000-1467058256_thumb.png

Did it in a quick way and without the light in the background, because it`s only about finding a good color.

• Like 1

Looks good, but a little bit to much yellow in my opinion. Yellow background, yellow logo and Pac-Man itself is also yellow of course. :)

I played a little bit with the background here to give an impression how it would look in different colors:

attachicon.gifGehäuse-Farben.png

Did it in a quick way and without the light in the background, because it`s only about finding a good color.

I like the blue. But I think a matching blue end label would look better

I like the blue. But I think a matching blue end label would look better

That`s true, the end-label should always have the color of the upper background. I was just to lazy to change this in the examples. :) My personal favourite is the cartridge with the black background.

attachicon.gifGehäuse-Farben.png

I wanted the colors to mirror the arcade machine, which was mainly black and yellow. The color examples you provided are definitely interesting though! Curious to see what other folks think.

Thanks,

B

• Like 1

I created these a while back.

-B

I like this the best. The yellow really pops off the cart and the box looks great with the black back and remainder in yellow. I would purchase this CIB version. :)

A also like the blue, but not nearly as much as the yellow.

• Like 1