IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

Looks good, but a little bit to much yellow in my opinion. Yellow background, yellow logo and Pac-Man itself is also yellow of course. :)

I played a little bit with the background here to give an impression how it would look in different colors:

attachicon.gifGehäuse-Farben.png

Did it in a quick way and without the light in the background, because it`s only about finding a good color.

The Navy color in the center is my favorite.

I like the blue. But I think a matching blue end label would look better

This.

Why do all sorts of wackeh stuff when you can just go traditional?

• post-47063-0-97963600-1467075386_thumb.jpost-47063-0-72274700-1467075387_thumb.j

Pacman sprite needs a little work but otherwise not bad. Somehow though, the sprite art does not scream "retro" to me. It sounds like someone trying to "scream" retro. :P

I like the art on yellow - faithful to the cabinet.

The marquee is art on white, so that is good also - Should be the end label.

Personally, I never liked the cabinet art because it doesn't make much sense.

A blue monster heading toward Pac-Man? (Maybe it is scared it is about to get caught?)

Hate the red eyes.

Hate that Pac-Man has banana feet.

The marquee is worse with the blue monster chasing Pac-Man!?

(I know it was painted with the limitation of using only yellow, black, red, and blue colors.)

Personal feelings aside, that IS classic arcade version Pac-Man artwork.

I like the art on yellow - faithful to the cabinet.

A blue monster heading toward Pac-Man? (Maybe it is scared it is about to get caught?)

Nothing wrong with the yellow label. Would be cool to have a yellow moulded cart too but that would be a lot harder to come up with.

I think you may be right about the cabinet art where the blue ghost/monster seems to be scared as Pac looks at him with that grin.

Yeah that's the Midway version.. U.S. always kind of messed up the artwork for all sorts of imported games back then. :lol: Alternatively you could reach back to the true original for inspiration. :)

DSC00010.JPG

Edited by NE146
  • Like 4

That "K" just seems so out of place. Knowing the game as Pac-Man for so long is part of it, but it also just doesn't seem to match the font style of the other letters. I wonder why they didn't render it more like the "M", but sideways?

Yeah that's the Midway version.. U.S. always kind of messed up the artwork for all sorts of imported games back then. :lol: Alternatively you could reach back to the true original for inspiration. :)

DSC00010.JPG

That "K" just seems so out of place. Knowing the game as Pac-Man for so long is part of it, but it also just doesn't seem to match the font style of the other letters. I wonder why they didn't render it more like the "M", but sideways?

Might be urban ledgend, but I heard they changed it to Pacman in the US because "Puck" closely resembled a common four letter word, and the P on the bezel could easily be defaced to make an "F." :P

• Like 1

Haha.

Actually, I retract my statement. I forgot about Activision's screenshots on the cartridge labels. I was thinking only about those on the back of the boxes. I'd argue Activision's cartridge-label screenshots are a borderline case since even there they're meant more for "reference" than attention-grabbing "art", but I can be convinced they should still count.

I kind of like Appadeia's label, actually. It's different enough to be unique from the rest, and if any 2600 Pac-Man port deserves to reference the arcade graphics, it's this one.

I know.. funny saying something is "too much yelliow" when that is the signature color of the entire U.S. arcade cabinet :P Although yes I understand the thought to take the artwork in a different direction.

118124214334.jpg

But when you look at the sprites on the outside of this cabinet, then there is also alot black in the background behind the sprites. This is not on the yellow label of the Atari-cartridge. There everything is yellow. With this parts of black, the yellow label would also look better in my opinion. Edited by AW127

post-4806-0-38276500-1467143250_thumb.jpg

The wife rarely interferes with my postings on AtariAge. But she spoke up at the design of this label. It's really very good. Stands out a mile away without any gaudy overtly fluorescent colors. It has a harmonious palette according to color science. It is simple enough harking back to the old days, yet has a modern nuvo arrangement. The important elements of the game are at the focal point.

It's almost complete!

She suggests some simple cleanup and changes like:

1- The addition of a blue border with rounded corners to represent the maze. The boarder also pays homage to the original cartridge labels released with the VCS. Make it for the

2- make the ghosts equally distant from each other.

3- separate the ghosts just a little bit more. Maybe enough to see the red monster's left eye?

4- make pacman a little more evenly rounded, but maintain current pixellated look. No more detail need be added.

She thought of suggesting putting in the fruit and dots and power-pills, but then backtracked thinking it was going to be too much, too busy-looking. I agree.

Here's the blue border.

post-4806-0-06335800-1467154534_thumb.png

post-4806-0-63983900-1467156887_thumb.png

However, a yellow boarder looks great on the end label. But not so much on the face label.

post-4806-0-48672200-1467156883_thumb.png

post-4806-0-65887500-1467156488_thumb.png

Maybe something like this would look better? (Yes I am aware that the mockup looks crappy, it was just a quickie for illustrative purposes.)

post-44939-0-31499100-1467193742_thumb.png

Edited by NostAlgae37
  • Like 3

attachicon.gifpost-47063-0-72274700-1467075387.jpg

The wife rarely interferes with my postings on AtariAge. But she spoke up at the design of this label. It's really very good. Stands out a mile away without any gaudy overtly fluorescent colors. It has a harmonious palette according to color science. It is simple enough harking back to the old days, yet has a modern nuvo arrangement. The important elements of the game are at the focal point.

It's almost complete!

Keatah, I beg to differ. The label doesn't look vintage at all, it's looks like someone trying too hard to be retro.

Maybe something like this would look better? (Yes I am aware that the mockup looks crappy, it was just a quickie for illustrative purposes.)

That's Amazing! :lust: