IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

I am running Stella 4.1.1 64-bit under Windows 8.1 Pro, and it is working like a charm. The 64 bit version is a little better! DO THE MATH!!!!!!

* "Where did YOU learn to chomp?"

Seriously though, I am not having any issues.

**OH.. Nice improvement on intermission music. On the third intermission, I'd recommend turning the monster to flesh color before he returns from off screen with Pac-Man.

Edited by darryl1970

Hello, I made a small update of the version of 4k, in this version I change the music intermission, add the "ready" (very small) ...

I know it's tough to fit it all in there, but "ready" reads as "heady" to me:

post-2641-0-53214800-1414454174_thumb.gif

A few suggestions:

Larger letters:

post-2641-0-99800500-1414454173_thumb.gif

w/ "e" altered for more separation from "r":

post-2641-0-70479200-1414454172_thumb.gif

Shorter letters:

post-2641-0-06535200-1414454172_thumb.gif

Shorter letters, separated (eh… maybe not :ponder: ):

post-2641-0-44598400-1414454173_thumb.gif

• Like 2

If the "Ready!" message can only be accomplished with two rows of characters, it would be better off no having it. There are plenty of games with 48 pixel wide sprites (like every Activision game), and neither the ghosts nor Pacman occupy these scanlines, so I see no reason it can't be done in full utilizing both player sprites.

• Like 1

That is correct. Although it's true that none of the characters occupy that band at that time, the kernel is handled as though they could be (and will be, as the level is played). So you'd need an interrupt branch to happen there with some specific coding to do it faithfully. An easy compromise is to replace the score with the message (it's already set up to handle multiple sprites, so you just need to make more bitmaps for hex digits A-F).

• Like 2

That is correct. Although it's true that none of the characters occupy that band at that time, the kernel is handled as though they could be (and will be, as the level is played). So you'd need an interrupt branch to happen there with some specific coding to do it faithfully. An easy compromise is to replace the score with the message (it's already set up to handle multiple sprites, so you just need to make more bitmaps for hex digits A-F).

Brilliant idea. 6 characters, R-E-A-D-Y-! Even if it blanks out the score momentarily on display.

And I wasn't suggesting that the message be implemented in 4k. But when the game is expanded, more stuff can be added in as needed.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 2

I would personally be fine without the READY message.

However, it could be displayed vertically, to the left or right of the Monster's cage. It is a port, and we're dealing with limitations of the system.

R

E

A

D

Y

!

But I'd rather do without than have it as it is now.

Edited by darryl1970

I like the idea of momentarily replacing the score with "READY!" Having the word broken to two lines just to fit into the center of the screen seems forced (not to mention difficult to read). Regardless, I don't think it's necessary to have it in. I wouldn't lose sleep either way.

Awesome game! The music is absolutely incredible!

Two things:

If READY can't be a displayed horizontally in one line I would recommend getting rid of it, it looks like a wierd glitchy fruit prize as it is now.

Maybe this has been covered before. It is great now points come up when a ghost is eaten...why are points not displayed when fruit is eaten?

Maybe this has been covered before. It is great now points come up when a ghost is eaten...why are points not displayed when fruit is eaten?

You need more sprite designs to cover all the different fruit scores: 100, 300, 500, 700, 1000, 2000, etc. That's more than he can probably stuff in 4K.

Changing the unused hex-digit sprites to READY! Then momentarily change the displayed scanline to the middle of the maze. During the "ready" flash, the monsters are in the box and the entire board is perfectly symmetrical, so it might be possible to move it.

If not, I vote to flash the READY sign in the numeric display. Vertical would look dumb and interfere with the ghost box.

And +1 that it currently looks like a glitched fruit sprite. If that is the only way to display the sign, better not to have it. Or you could change change it to "GO" instead. That would keep in the spirit of the arcade and be doable within the confines of 8 pixels and not look like a complete glitch.

@@@@ @@@
@    @ @
@ @@ @ @
@  @ @ @
@@@@ @@@
Edited by stardust4ever

Changing the unused hex-digit sprites to READY! Then momentarily change the displayed scanline to the middle of the maze. During the "ready" flash, the monsters are in the box and the entire board is perfectly symmetrical, so it might be possible to move it.

If not, I vote to flash the READY sign in the numeric display. Vertical would look dumb and interfere with the ghost box.

And +1 that it currently looks like a glitched fruit sprite. If that is the only way to display the sign, better not to have it. Or you could change change it to "GO" instead. That would keep in the spirit of the arcade and be doable within the confines of 8 pixels and not look like a complete glitch.

@@@@ @@@
@    @ @
@ @@ @ @
@  @ @ @
@@@@ @@@

Go could work, but I think I'd rather have nothing. I meant vertical to the left or right of the monster pen. However, I'm thinking along the same lines now: I'd rather have nothing.

Go could work, but I think I'd rather have nothing. I meant vertical to the left or right of the monster pen. However, I'm thinking along the same lines now: I'd rather have nothing.

"GO" and "READY!" kind of have the same meaning with regards to the Pacman game. If the fruit placeholder is the only way to do it, GO will fit in 8 pixels and be presentable.

"GO" and "READY!" kind of have the same meaning with regards to the Pacman game. If the fruit placeholder is the only way to do it, GO will fit in 8 pixels and be presentable.

It doesn't feel the same to me. "Get Ready! Get Set! Go!" Go means I should be able to move. Ready builds suspense that I am going to start after the music ends.

Just my opinion, but I am not a fan of a substitute.

I thought it looked bad in Ms Hack. Here's a screenshot. (Ignore the MESS template. I thought MESS would make a better screenshot)

post-13491-0-37582100-1414541051_thumb.png

It doesn't feel the same to me. "Get Ready! Get Set! Go!" Go means I should be able to move. Ready builds suspense that I am going to start after the music ends.

Just my opinion, but I am not a fan of a substitute.

I thought it looked bad in Ms Hack. Here's a screenshot. (Ignore the MESS template. I thought MESS would make a better screenshot)

attachicon.gifMsHack.png

LOL, gonna have to disagree; that looks very nice, well save for the fake TV! :P

Where can I find the ROM if you don't mind my asking?

Edited by stardust4ever