IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

Hi all, a new update available, also made a new video. :)
In this version I have now completed the routines of the "monsters" in the "home", in the video you can see this behavior (at 0:53 see "Clyde").
The "fright sound" now stops (deactivates the "fright mode") when Pacman eats 4 "ghost/monster" before the end of the "fright time".
I improved a little routine flicker (just a little), I tried to make the "inteligent flicker", although the kernel is already prepared for that, the problem is in the routine of "flicker sort" that has to be fast, just 500 cycles are available to do so (in a version "pal50" would have sufficient cycles for that).
Some changes in sound routine:
The intermission music now uses the two channels of sound, although not as arcade (I'll try later).
I changed a bit the tone and speed of sound "extralife" to make it more like the arcade.
And some other things in the sound. ;-)

excellent work DINTAR816!!!

DINTAR816 here's a review of your updated version done by VectorGamer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=279&v=zXYNgl8sCUw

Can you add "turbo" option?

Nice. Maybe the "turbo" option could be added in with the right difficulty switch and activated by hitting the fire button? Always glad to see kids playing the 2600... :cool:

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 2

Impressive!!! :)

One thing I wanted to ask: is there any way you could add the "fast cornering" turns like in the arcade? This is a feature that is typically missed on many ports and to me it is one of those quintessential Pac-Man mechanics that just add the feel of the original.

I don't program for VCS so I don't know if there are any technical limitations that prohibit its implementation, but considering that you have pretty much broken through almost all other seemingly impossible odds, why not? :)

Very impressive nonetheless.

dZ.

One thing I wanted to ask: is there any way you could add the "fast cornering" turns like in the arcade? This is a feature that is typically missed on many ports and to me it is one of those quintessential Pac-Man mechanics that just add the feel of the original.

I don't program for VCS so I don't know if there are any technical limitations that prohibit its implementation, but considering that you have pretty much broken through almost all other seemingly impossible odds, why not? :)

dZ.

Yeah, I think that's the one last thing the game needs. Right now, Blinky is far too deadly when he goes Cruise Elroy because Pac-Man has no advantage in the corners. If the corner advantage is too troublesome to implement, then slowing down Blinky just a touch would probably be a close enough facsimile as far as game balance is concerned.

Aside from that, this is an amazing port.

• Like 1

Man this is amazing!!!!!! One thing I noticed though, when eating power pellet and a ghost is still in the ghost house, when they come out, can they turn to the right when they exit? It would kinda give it a more authentic feel like the arcade!

Edited by Breakpack

Yeah, I think that's the one last thing the game needs. Right now, Blinky is far too deadly when he goes Cruise Elroy because Pac-Man has no advantage in the corners. If the corner advantage is too troublesome to implement, then slowing down Blinky just a touch would probably be a close enough facsimile as far as game balance is concerned.

Aside from that, this is an amazing port.

You can lose Binky into the safe zones where he can't follow you, or take the warp tunnel to get away. It also helps not having dots sprinkled about the maze when Cruise Elroy activates. That said, there have been several occasions where I die with a couple dots left. The arcadey feel of the game depends on that sense of urgency when there's few pellets left.

That's why I can't play the NES and other ports any more. They feel neutered without it.

You can lose Binky into the safe zones where he can't follow you, or take the warp tunnel to get away. It also helps not having dots sprinkled about the maze when Cruise Elroy activates. That said, there have been several occasions where I die with a couple dots left. The arcadey feel of the game depends on that sense of urgency when there's few pellets left.

That's why I can't play the NES and other ports any more. They feel neutered without it.

Is there a list of Pac-Man ports missing cruise elroy? I tried using Bing to search with multiple terms and it wasn't much help.

Is there a list of Pac-Man ports missing cruise elroy? I tried using Bing to search with multiple terms and it wasn't much help.

The original Pacman for Atari does not even deserve a mention and I haven't played the 5200 version. 7800 and the 16-bit consoles only got Ms Pacman ports. NES Pacman does not accelerate at all as pellets are eaten, nor does Namco Museum for N64. I also really need to replay Pacman GB (Special Color Editon) and Pacman Collection GBA to comment.

However, I tend to collect multiple ports of games such as Pacman so I could see the usefulness of such a list. I think most of the Namco compilations from 6th gen and beyond use arcade emulation but I could be wrong. The trick where pacman parks looking the opposite direction of a wall is a good litmus test for arcade accuracy as ports are unlikely to emulate this behavior.

Edit: Pacman Special Color Edition (GB/GBC) has cruise Elroy mode. Pacman Collection (GBA) has cruise Elroy mode in addition to quick cornering. The face away from the wall trick does not work however. Generally, the later the game, the more accurate. Also no Pacman in Namco Museum GBA, just Ms Pacman.

On another note, I was playing Ms Pacman on my DMG the other day and beat stage 5. I was a bit disappointed to learn that the chase cutscene recycled the same melody from the meet cutscene. Can't win 'em all I guess. Also using the tunnels in Game Boy /color Pacman /Ms is a crap shoot since due to the scrolling, you literally can't tell who's on the other side.

Edited by stardust4ever

On another note, I was playing Ms Pacman on my DMG the other day and beat stage 5. I was a bit disappointed to learn that the chase cutscene recycled the same melody from the meet cutscene. Can't win 'em all I guess. Also using the tunnels in Game Boy /color Pacman /Ms is a crap shoot since due to the scrolling, you literally can't tell who's on the other side.

The GB and GBC versions of Ms. Pac-Man actually seem to use the AI from Pac-Man, i.e. the ghosts scatter to the corners rather than doing a random wander like in the arcade version. I think I've noticed this same thing in other official Namco ports of Ms. Pac-Man like for NES and SMS. I don't remember off the top of my head if GBA Namco Museum got it right, though the Namco Museum 50th Anniversary version probably did, since those are at least partial emulation of the arcade code I believe.

Also using the tunnels in Game Boy /color Pacman /Ms is a crap shoot since due to the scrolling, you literally can't tell who's on the other side.

If you highlight 1 player and press left or right (if I remember correctly), you get a full screen mode (works for both Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man, as well as the GBC versions). Graphics are small, but I prefer it over the scrolling.

I'm pretty sure cruise elroy works in the 360 XBLA version. The Namco Museum 3 PS1 Ms. Pac-Man is odd. The direction trick works, but Ms. Pac-Man's mouth is always open, when it is closed in the arcade version.

Edited by BrianC

Although time travel isn't possible within your own timeline, hundreds of us could still take some of these homebrews back and change the history of similar timelines. Imagine all the fun you could have poking the late 1970s or early 1980s and seeing what pops out the other side.

The sounds are amazing. In particular, the "eating ghost" and "eyes returning" sounds. I wish mine were that good.

I think the "whacka" sound is the best I have ever hear on the 2600. That's a hard sound to match, even on the 8-bit/5200. I actually really like your "whacka" sound, Tep. I like the grittiness! That's probably the closest Pokey version I've heard! The most impressive VCS sound to me is the energizer sound and the "plop-plop" when Pac-Man dies. For a split second, I feel like I am playing the arcade. :).

Actually, I think the sound when eating a monster is too smooth. It's like a straight ramp up, where the arcade is kind of an interrupted ramp up. I would like to hear that sound tweaked for the 8K just a little, because it is SO close. Everything else is about as good (actually better) as one could expect from the TIA. Your version has a pretty good sound. It sounds just like the stock 8-bit sound to me. It has the choppiness, but it's hard to tell since they used the dual voice for that spacey effect. I don't remember if this works on your version (I think it MIGHT), but reset the game mid monster-chomp! This definitely works on the original. The distortion bit is still set, and it makes all the sound weird!

I agree that the fast Pac cornering was something that would make the game feel more complete. I believe that was originally one of the goals for the 8K version!

This is an excellent version, and it would stand on its own if nothing more was done. It's great that it is still a work in progress.

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 1

DINTAR816 here's a review of your updated version done by VectorGamer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=279&v=zXYNgl8sCUw

Can you add "turbo" option?

Funny video, well, the option of "turbo" already had planned to do on a screen "options", although it could do as suggested by stardust4ever, with the right difficulty switch for now. :)

I think also add an option of "fast mode" where all (pacman and monster / ghost) will move faster.

dZ.

The "fast cornernering" still pending, to do so I have to change some things (eg routine "collision with the maze"), but not impossible to do. :-D

• Like 4

DINTAR816 - if it hasn't been expressed yet, gotta say that your willingness to listen to the community and participate the way you have, is greatly appreciated to say the least! Really is helping to shape what is undoubtedly one of the best and most impressive 2600 homebrew efforts ever. :love:

Thanks again for all the work on these. Can't wait to support the projects with my wallet when the time comes. :)

• Like 10