IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

I just noticed the right side of the arcade screen bezel has the stylized characters reversed, the way it seems to make sense -- with PacMan giving chase...

If I were making the art using the arcade art, I would pick that top right image as a first choice, and the Puck Man art as my second choice.

Take a look:

post-29575-0-32607400-1467697017_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I just noticed the right side of the arcade screen bezel has the stylized characters reversed, the way it seems to make sense -- with PacMan giving chase...

If I were making the art using the arcade art, I would pick that top right image as a first choice, and the Puck Man art as my second choice.

Take a look:

post-18-0-58414600-1467734160_thumb.jpg

I noticed the artwork being referenced is the old inaccurate bezel from the sets distributed many moons ago which is missing the red energizers among other issues:

post-18-0-74694200-1467734891_thumb.png

:)

Grab the Arcade accurate updated set here.

• Like 4

After i played around with the background color of the cartridge-label prior in the thread, i played around here with the color of the sunburst-effect. This is for breaking up all the yellow colors a little bit. I made this in a trice, this is just for finding good colors.

post-41260-0-41228700-1467749806_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Newbie question: How is AA able to manufacture VCS carts? Do they cannibalize old carts or make the shell and boards themselves? What company manufactures them?

I kind of like the white sunburst. I might suggest making the background black and the sunburst the same shade of blue as the maze.

How about we rip-off the original art? ^_^ It's easy (not to mention retro looking without trying to) Here's my 2nd submission. (P.S. I think someone needs to make an XM for the A26 if possible, and DINTAR should port [and make better] this game​ arcade machine stuffed into an Atari. But that's just my childhood spilling out.. ;-; )

post-47063-0-59647700-1467760366_thumb.png

After i played around with the background color of the cartridge-label prior in the thread, i played around here with the color of the sunburst-effect. This is for breaking up all the yellow colors a little bit. I made this in a trice, this is just for finding good colors.

How about collect all 6 with bonus 7th exclusive deal!

Newbie question: How is AA able to manufacture VCS carts? Do they cannibalize old carts or make the shell and boards themselves? What company manufactures them?

I kind of like the white sunburst. I might suggest making the background black and the sunburst the same shade of blue as the maze.

PCBs, labels, manuals, and boxes (if provided) are all new, but the cart shell itself is recycled from old games. Albert was looking into getting universal 7800-compatible shells produced that would be good for all 2600/7800 homebrews. Injection molding is extremely expensive initially, but the per unit price of large production runs of parts is fairly cheap. There is extra cost but this would make up for the labor involved with removing labels and scrubbing the vintage cart plastics.

A prototype for the AA-branded shells was produced some time ago, but it appears the injection molded shells project has been put on hiatus. For the time being anyhow, expect that all homebrew have recycled shells but new PCB.

Shouldn't all cartridges not be disassembled and recycled unless they are non-functional? Even including the common stuff..

We could consider this case an upgrade. Old honking Pac-man in and awesome arcade style Pac out. Seems justifiable. No?

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 1

Thanks. I'm really only using the characters from the bezel art. I've taken some liberties with the back of the box, etc. But I'll def check out the art associated with the link you sent. Thanks!

I wouldn't necessarily feel strictly bound by the way the characters are positioned on the arcade bezel (the pac-man on the right side looks like he is trying to stomp on the ghost instead of chase it). My initial impression was that you were using it as an inspiration or jumping off point for the game box and label to impart some of the same flavor/feel. I actually thought that your take on it was a fresh one, and could be even better with the proposed changes. I don't remember very many of the classic game boxes of that era attempting to slavishly ape the arcade cabinet art (more often than not, the marketing department for the game companies seemed to be driving the bus and commissioned entirely new art for the home releases anyway).

I wouldn't necessarily feel strictly bound by the way the characters are positioned on the arcade bezel (the pac-man on the right side looks like he is trying to stomp on the ghost instead of chase it). My initial impression was that you were using it as an inspiration or jumping off point for the game box and label to impart some of the same flavor/feel. I actually thought that your take on it was a fresh one, and could be even better with the proposed changes. I don't remember very many of the classic game boxes of that era attempting to slavishly ape the arcade cabinet art (more often than not, the marketing department for the game companies seemed to be driving the bus and commissioned entirely new art for the home releases anyway).

For a homebrew arcade port vastly superior to what was available bitd, I think ripping the arcade marquee or bezel artwork is entirely acceptible. After all, you are attempting to duplicate the actual arcade experience, not banking on the nostalgia or playing inferior ports on inferior hardware. VCS Pacman plays like ass. If it didn't suck bitd and suck even worse now, homebrew coders wouldn't be trying to make superior versions of it. Just look at how many homebrew remakes of Space Invaders and Pacman there are, and the VCS Space Invaders port was a decent game. Space Instigators, with it's non-flickering 9 sprite display kernel, captures the arcade game well.

All the ideas and discussion are too much for meh! :rolling: But will DINTAR give his :thumbsup: to anyone's box/cart art? That's the real question here...

I agree. I may update the spines on my box art to white, but I'm definitely keeping the artwork on the front and back of the box the same. If anyone wants to make boxes/labels with some of the ideas that have been mentioned, go for it

-B

Hey man, no problem, you should definitely go with what you feel is best. I was just expressing my opinion on a forum (imagine that). Personally, I think that what you put together is still better than what anybody else proposed. I'll just chalk it up to a missed opportunity (the difference between something that's really cool and something that could be awesome). Peace.

I just wanted to join the discussion.

I love all things pac-man. Dintar's pac-man is my favorite Atari 2600 game past or present. If I could only have one game for the system, this would be it.

I wanted to voice my opinion about artwork.

I've always liked the artwork of the Atari 5200 pac-man. Not sure if you can use that style, or if you would like that.

Google: Atari 5200 pac-man, and it is the first box art image you see on the right.

In contrast, I do NOT like the original atari 2600 pac-man box art.

Edited by KAZ
  • Like 1

Random thought. I was once playing arcade pac-man, and I was about to eat a ghost...it turned back right as I was going to eat it, and all the ghosts showed as a strange orange color.

Anyone else seen this before? It was wild.

I'm searching the net looking for an image of it. Not finding it.

Edited by KAZ
  • Like 1

I've had this happen to me 3 times in my life, everytime I saw it happen it was in the arcades playing pacman. Just as pacman was eating a monster it reverted back to a ghost but the color scheme was all weird for the ghosts. They turned red. I've never seen it happen on any of the home ports though. I just think it was just a weird timing issue where the ghost was in the process of being eaten and the machine glitched for abit and got the color all wrong. LOL. Its a cool sight to behold.

Random thought. I was once playing arcade pac-man, and I was about to eat a ghost...it turned back right as I was going to eat it, and all the ghosts showed as a strange orange color.

Anyone else seen this before? It was wild.

I'm searching the net looking for an image of it. Not finding it.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 1