IGNORED

A better mario bros for atari 2600

DINTAR816

This is a demo of mariobros for atari 2600, but is in a very preliminary stage. Mario movements and sounds are based on the nes version.

All graphics and sounds are already done, I estimate that the rom will occupy 8k.

here is a video of the rom:

Edit: download link:

Edited by DINTAR816
  • Like 28

That is brilliantly beautiful.

I'd love to help but I'm best at graphics and sound which you say are done (plus I don't know assembly).

If it looks that good, I wouldn't mind flickering, because players and enemies tend to be on the same horizontal a lot.

Maybe choose to start with everything flickering. See Pac Man 4K. Then you don't have to worry about intelligent flickering routines and changing object brightness because it all starts out flickering the same?

Just a suggestion.

We _always_ need games that 2 can play at the same time (either cooperative or adversarial)!!!

• 3 weeks later...

That looks terrific. Don't base your version on the NES port. It is TERRIBLE. The original 5200 version has even better looking turtles and more animation than that disappointment. I've seen your Pac-Man, and this is great too. If you base yours off of the arcade, it will probable outshine the homebrew for the Colecovision. :)

Edited by darryl1970

Hello, I had some time without posting here, I've been busy with pacman, I'll post the rom as shown in the video, but now I will be updating this ROM too. :)

This demo version is 4k, was made about 2011, certainly there are things that can be optimized (or change) the full version will be 8k (or more, if done as the arcade version). :)

mariobros_b.bin

• Like 11

Great to see you have plans to work on this again. I really like your Pacman too but there are a few ports to choose from these days (we're spoiled!). This game... not too many. :)

I'd love to see a version with the cut-scenes. There aren't many versions on any system that has them and it would be lovely to see them on the lowly 2600.

Again, this is brilliant in many ways.

The proportions are just right.

The animation and artwork are stellar.

The movement, sliding and jumping feel right.

The sound is already way above what you hear mainly on the 2600.

Even the bricks at the bottom look right. That's hard to do with 40 wide playfield pixels per line.

Atari VCS still amazes us after all this time!

• Like 4

Again, this is brilliant in many ways.

The proportions are just right.

The animation and artwork are stellar.

The movement, sliding and jumping feel right.

The sound is already way above what you hear mainly on the 2600.

Even the bricks at the bottom look right. That's hard to do with 40 wide playfield pixels per line.

Atari VCS still amazes us after all this time!

In today's common interwebs parlance:

+1.

:)

I love Mario Bros. I played 2600 Mario Bros. all the time when I was a kid in the late '80s. It wasn't great, but I really liked Mario Bros., so I put up with it. Then, I got a hold of 7800 Mario Bros. and never looked back. (I still play it and the arcade version in MAME all the time.)

If Mario Bros. on the 2600 had a fraction of the look and sound and feel of this demonstrator that you've made available, there's a good chance I'd still be playing it today, too. This is really beautiful looking. Sounds terrific. It's very impressive. (As is your Pac-Man, by the way!) I really can't wait to see how this one comes out.

DINTAR816...Amazing job! Thank you for sharing your work thus far. Really incredible the way you make the 2600 games shine with a brand new luster.

One 'minor' thing (humble request), if possible for what already looks and sounds phenomenal, could the original wider/fatter (Arcade) turtles be utilized instead?

Nintendo went with a narrower turtle under Mario Bros. for the NES, but returned to the original look for the FDS title, "Kaettekita Mario Bros.", and continued to retain the same Arcade look under the Gameboy Advance. It is also the original looking/Arcade turtle that the 5200/8-bit port is based on, and the same look desired for the relatively recent graphic hack of the game for the 7800.

Here's a comparison I found from the NES/FDS ports:

post-18-0-95122500-1412418211_thumb.jpg

Here's the turtles 'in action' under the Arcade:

post-18-0-28810900-1412418984_thumb.png

Thanks for reading and taking the above into consideration. It is very much appreciated.

• Like 6

If the Atari 8-bit and 5200 ports are the same, they do not have icicles.

The only home version I've seen that has them is the Apple II port.

The Atari 8-bit port is different and I know for sure it has icicles (it even has the intros missing from most versions). Apparently, there was also a unofficial conversion of the Atari 5200 version done and some videos labelled as the Atari 8 bit version show footage of this version rather than the official one. 7800 seems to be a direct NES port and even uses the NES style turtles.

Edited by BrianC

The arcade version has also invisible floor bonus rounds and falling icicles later on (both missing from the 7800 and NES versions). Does the 5200 have the falling icicles (not to be confused with slipice)?

The 5200 version DOES have the Slipice, but it DOESN'T have the falling ice..

Actually the 8-bit version does. The 5200 version was not officially ported to the 8-bit. That was done unofficially. The actual 8-bit version was released later as MarioBros XE. It DOES have the falling icicles. It's a pretty awesome port. I would recommend taking some notes from this version, if the arcade is not possible!

It's just a shame they made Mario and Luigi look kind of stupid in the face.lol

MarioBros XE (8-bit)

Also.. The arcade doesn't use that random footstep sound from the NES either. Seems that the XE version even got that.

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 1